Is the Stibbons storyline and character blatantly sexist towards men

Illuvatarr
Illuvatarr
✭✭✭✭✭
Particularly, the title “man-servant” and how she treats him. If the roles were reversed, it would be a talking point in social media

Is the Stibbons storyline and character blatantly sexist towards men 80 votes

Yes
18%
Gilvothbulbousb16_ESODhariusSkworThe_ShadowbornIlluvatarrku5hAliyavanaTravestynoxBomblePantsKarmanorwaySelfTherapyTelvanniWizardChaos2088smallhammer 15 votes
No
81%
theskymoveschuck-18_ESOBlueRavenvailjohn_ESOssewallb14_ESOmann9753b16_ESOSgtPepperUKWolfingHourcheeseaddictb101uksrfrogg23mjharperIluvrienShinniNoisividTandorRobo_HoboUrQuanEnemy-of-ColdharbourEasily_Lost 65 votes
  • bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    For this survey, Yes. For the other one, No.
    Lethal zergling
  • Reistr_the_Unbroken
    Reistr_the_Unbroken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Grow up
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, gonna go with:

C) Grow Up
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • mann9753b16_ESO
    mann9753b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Dude, Stibbons is a danm player. Literally every time we meet this guy, some hot chick wants to do the naughty with him, I dont know whats this guys secret, but I would sacrifice my main to know.
    Edited by mann9753b16_ESO on May 31, 2019 4:15PM
  • Reistr_the_Unbroken
    Reistr_the_Unbroken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Yeah, gonna go with:

C) Grow Up

I bet op is going to cry about rescuing Stibbons from the big bad Daedra next Lmao
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    No.

Lady Clarice doesn't exactly come off well herself.
  • AhPook_Is_Here
    AhPook_Is_Here
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    God I wish I could post some VEEP video clips here with Gary and Selina, especially the gag with the estrogen patch.
    “Whatever.”
    -Unknown American
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, gonna go with:

C) Grow Up

I bet op is going to cry about rescuing Stibbons from the big bad Daedra next Lmao

My favorite is how his last post in the (now locked) first thread is about how there would be outcry if it was "woman-servant"...

As though the Lusty Argonian Maid and references to maidservant don't abound in TES, lol.
  • Reistr_the_Unbroken
    Reistr_the_Unbroken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Yeah, gonna go with:

C) Grow Up

My favorite is how his last post in the (now locked) first thread is about how there would be outcry if it was "woman-servant"...

As though the Lusty Argonian Maid and references to maidservant don't abound in TES, lol.
    Don’t forget daddy Bal making the vampires
    Edited by Reistr_the_Unbroken on May 31, 2019 4:21PM
  • Noisivid
    Noisivid
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    I don't think it's sexist. Part of the humour is in the reversal of the gender stereotypes.

I do think if the genders were reversed (male Laurant and female Stibbons) there would be
    regular threads about it being demeaning to women. Make of that what you will.

copy/paste from other thread

It's not really worth worrying about.
    Vogon Poet Laureate
  • Grandma
    Grandma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    To quote the ever defendant conservative mindset when any topic is brought up they don't like: Why did you have to make it political?

except in this case i think everyone is just rolling their eyes at you.
    GH / 3/04/2021 / Elemental Catalyst Necromancer
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Manservant is an actual job, and commonly sidekick to the sort of nobility that Lady Laurent is lampooning, like Jeeves and Wooster or Lord Peter Wimsey and Bunter.

The Laurent/Stibbons recurring characters arent to my taste, as I don't find their brand of comedy very amusing. I really disliked Laurent in Wrothgar for her terrible archaeology practices and snobbery and would have happily left her high up on that mountain.
  • Gordon906
    Gordon906
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Stibbons is just "submissive."
  • Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This game has many takes on power exchanges between the sexes. A lore book describes how Lamae Bal took revenge on the men who ravaged her body forcefully by going and doing the same act to other men.
    Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!
  • macsmooth
    macsmooth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry say what now?

You not married are you
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Please point on the doll where the deadra touched you.
  • Illuvatarr
    Illuvatarr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    macsmooth wrote: »
    Sorry say what now?

You not married are you

Not sure if my marriage status or anything about me personally is relevant to the subject topic. Accidentally double posted so I am pretty sure this one will get locked as well.
  • Reistr_the_Unbroken
    Reistr_the_Unbroken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    This game has many takes on power exchanges between the sexes. A lore book describes how Lamae Bal took revenge on the men who ravaged her body forcefully by going and doing the same act to other men.
    Which book is this cause now I’m very curious
  • Reistr_the_Unbroken
    Reistr_the_Unbroken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Please point on the doll where the deadra touched you.

This made my day, thank you
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Which book is this cause now I’m very curious

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Opusculus_Lamae_Bal_ta_Mezzamortie

Round about the 4th paragraph.
  • srfrogg23
    srfrogg23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No
    No, I think these two characters are the product of writers that were trying to "come up with something different, a unique dynamic" to "make these characters more interesting and memorable" instead of "the typical gender roles of fictional characters in storytelling".
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

What men? It was Molag Bal.

As for the topic. Manservant is an actual occupation, and doing this thread twice is even more eyeroll causing.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • macsmooth
    macsmooth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Illuvatarr wrote: »
    macsmooth wrote: »
    Sorry say what now?

You not married are you

Not sure if my marriage status or anything about me personally is relevant to the subject topic. Accidentally double posted so I am pretty sure this one will get locked as well.

That’s ok I wasn’t really asking for your married status
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    God I wish I could post some VEEP video clips here with Gary and Selina, especially the gag with the estrogen patch.

I think we’d trigger the OP (who I suspect would identify strongly with Jonad Jonah) to oblivion if we posted any VEEP clips here.
    Edited by Aurielle on May 31, 2019 4:33PM
  • heaven13
    heaven13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sexism is prejudice, discrimination, and/or stereotyping based on gender and may include the belief that one gender is intrinsically superior to the other. Lady Laurent's treatment of Stibbons is exclusive to how she treats him; her interactions with other characters (NPC or player characters alike) do not differ based on gender. Her behavior is more in line with that of a narcissistic personality.
    PC/NA
    Mountain God | Leave No Bone Unbroken | Apex Predator | Pure Lunacy | Depths Defier | No Rest for the Wicked | In Defiance of Death
    Defanged the Devourer | Nature's Wrath | Relentless Raider | True Genius | Bane of Thorns | Subterranean Smasher | Ardent Bibliophile

vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vDSA | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+2 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA | vRG
    Meet my characters :
    IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL THE SAME NOW, THANKS ZOS
  • Najarati
    Najarati
    ✭✭✭
    While I find the situation with Stibbons and Lady Laurent more humorous than sexist, I do agree we'd likely hear an outcry from a certain segment of people if the roles were reversed.
  • Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    But it is all super cringey and uncomfortable to take part in

Lady Laurent is an ass, and honestly I’d rather beat her over the head than help her screw over a guy who genuinely just wants to be helpful
  • Karmanorway
    Karmanorway
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yea, but who cares its a game, mr stibbons should grow a pair if he cant handle it.

If it was a "Lady servant" however, game would probably be banned..
  • srfrogg23
    srfrogg23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Jhalin wrote: »
    But it is all super cringey and uncomfortable to take part in

Lady Laurent is an ass, and honestly I’d rather beat her over the head than help her screw over a guy who genuinely just wants to be helpful

Hey, that's the word I was looking for: "cringey".
  • Illuvatarr
    Illuvatarr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Manservant is an actual job, and commonly sidekick to the sort of nobility that Lady Laurent is lampooning, like Jeeves and Wooster or Lord Peter Wimsey and Bunter.

The Laurent/Stibbons recurring characters arent to my taste, as I don't find their brand of comedy very amusing. I really disliked Laurent in Wrothgar for her terrible archaeology practices and snobbery and would have happily left her high up on that mountain.

So was stewardess.

So was ***.

So was mistress.

All sexist as well and rightfully changed/eliminated.
This discussion has been closed.