Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Do I have to buy the expansion to play the new Necro class$ Is this a paywall$

Goldie
Goldie
✭✭✭✭✭
In the beginning, this game had such a dedicated following. I witnessed the most epic fan creations, saw the birth of some really amazing groups, and lasting friendships were made. All of this with some real promises from the developers. "no paywalls", and if you were to have to pay for anything, it would only be "convenience and customization items".

I just heard that a new expansion is coming, with a new class. Yet again, having to pay for content, that should be added to the base game.

First, we had to buy the software. The Elder Scrolls Online "Standard Edition" cost $59.99, but it didn't give access to everything in the game; if users wanted to play as an Imperial, they had to buy the "Imperial Version" for $99.99. Then they had to pay a subscription --each version came with 30 days of game time included, but after that, players were on the hook for a fee of $14.99 a month.

That's $224.88 to play the standard version of the game for twelve months, and $264.88 for the Imperial Version.

Of course, if you would have just waited a year, the game eventually went "Free to play", and anyone that wasted the money subscribing, well... just wasted it.

Now, with the promise of a new update and class, Zenimax is hoping to pull players back in to the failing model, and milk some more money out of their dedicated players.

ESO has become a borderline Pay To Win game, with wall after wall, hiding behind them the content that should be PART of the game.
"Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves" - M'aiq the Liar
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, you have to buy Elsweyr to play as a Necromancer.

And the "Pay to Win" argument largely went out the window with Morrowind and the Warden. Rehashing it now for Elsweyr/Necromancer, a year after we got Summerset with Jewelrycrafting and the Psijic Order line is more than a little late to the game.
  • Goldie
    Goldie
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And the "Pay to Win" argument largely went out the window with Morrowind and the Warden. Rehashing it now for Elsweyr/Necromancer, a year after we got Summerset with Jewelrycrafting and the Psijic Order line is more than a little late to the game.

I quit playing when they announced the Warden class, or shortly before. Its sad that they took a title like The Elder Scrolls, and turned it into this.
    "Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves" - M'aiq the Liar
  • Goldie
    Goldie
    ✭✭✭✭✭

When i saw they were at it again, I had to say something.
  • Merlight
    Merlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Goldie wrote: »
    Of course, if you would have just waited a year, the game eventually went "Free to play", and anyone that wasted the money subscribing, well... just wasted it.

Despite all the launch bumps, I don't feel like I've wasted the money. Had I waited, I would've missed a lot of fun. ESO pre-TU was worth it. Unlike this "free to play" spitstorm of inconvenience, meaningless REWARDS, paygated combat powers and full blown RMT encouraged by ZOS.
    EU ‣ Wabbajack nostalgic ‣ Blackwater Blade defender ‣ Kyne wanderer
    The offspring of the root of all evil in ESO by DeanTheCat
    Why ESO needs a monthly subscription
    When an MMO is designed around a revenue model rather than around fun, it doesn’t have a long-term future.Richard A. Bartle
    Their idea of transparent, at least when it comes to communication, bears a striking resemblance to a block of coal.lordrichter
    ... in the balance of power between the accountants and marketing types against the artists, developers and those who generally want to build and run a good game then that balance needs to always be in favour of the latter - because the former will drag the game into the ground for every last bean they can squeeze out of it.Santie Claws
  • ManwithBeard9
    ManwithBeard9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Goldie wrote: »

I quit playing when they announced the Warden class, or shortly before. Its sad that they took a title like The Elder Scrolls, and turned it into this.

So you quit in beta?
  • ZOS_GregoryV
    Greetings,

We have decided to close this thread as it is a duplicate to another thread found here.

Thank you for your understanding,
    -Greg-
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.