The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Low Game Performance on High End PC

DeadCode
DeadCode
Soul Shriven
Hello!

I get ~100 frames per second when doing nothing, but when I enter cities, it can drop to 50, and in trials, it drops to 20-35 fps (And sometimes even lower).

Would you have any suggestions (such as XTU profiles, or CPU tuning I can do) to make the game perform better (especially during trials).

My specs:
RAM: Corsair Vengance DDR4 128GB 3800 MHz, CAS19
CPU: Intel i9 9980XE (18 Cores, 3.0 Ghz [Overclocked at 4.4Ghz], Turboboost 4.4 Ghz)
GPU: Nvidia RTX Titan
PSU: Corsair 1600i (1600 Watts)
Software: Windows 10 Pro; Build 1809
Resolution I play at: 2560x1440 (2k)
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    The thread linked below has various suggestions on ways to improve the frame rate while playing ESO.

FPS drop over time
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • aaylas
    aaylas
    ✭✭✭
    I've been playing this game for almost 2 years and I can tell you that there are two major issues with performance that happen whether you're on a high end desktop PC, or something less.

1. Performance is generally very poor in this game. It's most apparent when you're on a high end gaming PC (like you have) because the performance is basically the same no matter which graphics settings you change (because your PC can handle the graphics just fine). Some people will talk about how "CPU intensive" this game is. I don't really buy it. On my high end desktop PC, none of my cores is even close to 100% utilization when the game is bogged down. Which brings us to ...

2. The biggest issue with performance is either server performance or networking (no real way to tell unless you work at the developer). How does this manifest? Sometimes your inputs don't translate into actions on the screen. Sometimes they happen much later than when you sent the commands. Sometimes you can't weave light attacks between abilities. The game just feels like it's running at 5 FPS, even though your frame rate counter displays a normal frame rate.

Watch streamers on Twitch play the game and list to people say things like, "I'm going to need to reload UI," "I need to reset my game", "We've been in here for a while and the instance is starting to bug. We should reset the instance." These are pretty good indications that there are major problems server side (multiple people suddenly having performance issues at the same time). I'm not sure I've ever seen an end-game raid be streamed without people saying things like that. I'm sure the devs know about it, even though they don't publicly acknowledge it. There are probably people working on the problem full time, but just understand that performance issues have been going on for years, so don't bet everything on some big patch coming that fixes it.

By all means, fiddle with INI settings, graphics settings, registry edits, add-ons that adaptively change graphics settings, etc. I hope you get it all sorted.
  • aaylas
    aaylas
    ✭✭✭
    Also, in case you don't believe me that performance is kind of bad for everyone, look at the Hodor vAS world record score video on youtube. They're not all running the skeleton polymorph because they like the way it looks. They think it helps performance somehow.
  • nightdreaming
    nightdreaming
    Soul Shriven
    "They're not all running the skeleton polymorph because they like the way it looks. They think it helps performance somehow"

The theory is that the skele polymorph is a single bitmap, rather than lots of different bitmaps from players typical outfits, and therefore reduces load on the client by not having to render so many different things.
  • ZOS_Volpe
    ZOS_Volpe
    admin
    Greetings,

We have gone ahead and closed this thread down since it is rather old. Please keep in mind that sometimes it is better to create a new topic, instead of replying in one that was posted a while ago.

Thanks for your understanding.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.