Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The addon 'Map Pins' is like a swiss army knife

Walting
Walting
✭✭✭
I just recently found out about the addon Map Pins when i searched for addons that are up-to-date with Summerset and are showing Skyshards, Lorebooks, Destinations, Psijic Memory and other stuff.

Though it comes with A TON of features/pins you can enable in the Filters settings when viewing a map it is very small and its performance is amazingly fast even if it has to display hundreds of pins on the map.

Map Pins replaced several addons for me like SkyShards, LoreBooks (i don't miss Eidic Memory Books not being supported) and more - combined around half a dozen addons.

The addon is slim, fast and the author updates it very frequently.

If you haven't heard of it yet you may wanna give the addon a try. What the addon is capable of you see on the info page on esoui.

Check it out :)
Edited by Walting on May 29, 2018 10:24PM
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed. Its good stuff.
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Does it also show the marker pins in the world when you walk around?

I currently use Harvest Map but that doesnt allow me to customize it exactly how I would like.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • adriant1978
    adriant1978
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Do the Skyshards and books disappear from the map when picked up?

One thing I love about the separate add-ons for these is that they do not clutter my map with things I already collected.
  • Shinni
    Shinni
    ✭✭✭

I currently use Harvest Map but that doesnt allow me to customize it exactly how I would like.

MapPins is more like the destinations, skyshard or lorebooks addon. It doesn't display resources.

What customization would you like for HarvestMap?
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Shinni wrote: »

MapPins is more like the destinations, skyshard or lorebooks addon. It doesn't display resources.

What customization would you like for HarvestMap?

Mainly Psijic Portals and Jewelry nodes.

Map Pins still sounds like an useful addon so I will definitely try it out.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Shinni
    Shinni
    ✭✭✭
    Psijic portals and jewelry are already part of HarvestMap. Jewelry ore spawns at the same position as smithing nodes, so they are grouped with the same map pin.
    Each ore locations will randomly spawn a smithing or jewelry node, so there is no point in creating two types of map pins for smithing/jewelry.
    It's the same for runestones/psijic portals.
  • Walting
    Walting
    ✭✭✭

Yes, they do disappear when collected but you can also display collected books /shards if you want.
    Just make sure to enable the map filters you need for every char.

Edited by Walting on June 1, 2018 6:05AM
  • chillar
    chillar
    ✭✭
    I was pissed at first when lorebooks was not working, but now I'm glad it messed up cause i would have never found this addon. I love it and it takes the place of like 5 other addons i had. Good work
  • GizmoX64
    GizmoX64
    ✭✭
    Only think I wish Map Pins had was the icons of destinations, skyshards, lorebooks, treasure maps, with a UI to configure it.
    Map Pins icons scale and zoomability just seams off from the games defaults.
    I've gone into the addons folder and swapped some of those icons, but a lot of them are I guess "built in".

I also like how Map Pins displays its displayable objects in the map filters list.
    Destinations list is just a rainbow of colors, where Map Pins puts icons in the list.
    But yea I'd rather have 1 addon in my list then 5+ to do essentially the same thing.
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's well done and replaces about 5 other addons I used to use.

They were also the first (I think) to include Psijic time rifts which are fun to do without addons once (maybe) but not so much the next 14 times :)
  • Walting
    Walting
    ✭✭✭
    Same here, Map Pins replaced a couple of addons for me: SkyShards, LoreBooks, Destinations, Lost Treasure, Crafting Stations :)

Psijic Rifts are a pain to do on multiple chars, but at least Map Pins has them

• Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This sounds like an awful lot of function for one addon, given that addon authors tend to leave without warning, and quite often.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Gahmerdohn
    Gahmerdohn
    ✭✭✭
    For some reason, some of the Icons are invisible like treasure chests, time rifts, treasure maps...etc
    even in the filter tab I can't see them.

Any idea?
  • robert.baddeleyub17_ESO
    Haven't heard of this one, thanks for the link :)
  • nekura
    nekura
    ✭✭✭
    Gahmerdohn wrote: »
    For some reason, some of the Icons are invisible like treasure chests, time rifts, treasure maps...etc
    even in the filter tab I can't see them.

Any idea?

Same with me. I tried turning off all add-on's except for that one and still invisible.
  • DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I must be the only person that dislikes this addon.. i went back to skyshards and lore books etc.. plus it has its own icons and i prefer the ESO ones.

This for me added thousands of chest icons all over my maps.. to the point i cannot see the map for icons.. one its ugly and two the chests weren't even where it said they were..
    Edited by DanteYoda on June 25, 2018 12:47AM
  • SHADOW2KK
    SHADOW2KK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Agreed, been using this addon since Summerset came out, absolutely love it.

Replaced a number of map related addons with this fantastic addon.
    DanteYoda wrote: »
    I must be the only person that dislikes this addon.. i went back to skyshards and lore books etc.. plus it has its own icons and i prefer the ESO ones.

This for me added thousands of chest icons all over my maps.. to the point i cannot see the map for icons.. one its ugly and two the chests weren't even where it said they were..

Hehe I had that, just go into Map Pins Filters and uncheck Chests.
    Once I was a lamb, playing in a green field. Then the wolves came. Now I am an eagle and I fly in a different universe.

Been taking heads since TeS 3 Morrowind..

Been enjoying PvP tears since 2014

LvL 50 - Dragon Knight EP [PC-EU] = Illuvutar = Ex The Wabbajack = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Legendary Blades = Evil Ninja/Dueller = (StamBlade)
    LvL 50 - Sorcerer DC [PC-EU] = Daemon Lord = (Mag Sorc)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Khal-Bladez = (Mag DK)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Tenakha Khan = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Templar DC [PC-EU]] = Blades The Disgruntled = (Stamplar)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Ghost Blades = (Assassin)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Malekith The Shadow = (Mag NB)
    LvL 50 - Warden DC [PC-EU] = Crimson Blades = (Stamden)

Guild Master of The Bringers Of The Storm.
    Harrods

Member Of The Old Guard
    PC Closed Betas 2013

PC Mastah Race

Anook Page anook.com/shadow2kk

Been playing since Beta and Early Access

• Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Too many issues:
    today Treasure Maps & Surveys are missing
    Treasure chest never seem to behave

Too much chat junk with no filters - I do not need to know that x is in the zone (I usually have several surveys in every zone) or y quest has been added (the journal auto changes as quests are added

I prefer the 1.29 option to the .31 take all these or none

“Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • blnchk
    blnchk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gythral wrote: »
    Too many issues

The author seems keen on fixing bugs quickly, at least.

A caveat: Data has apparently been taken from other addons (Skyshards, Lorebooks etc.) without permission.
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

One thing I love about the separate add-ons for these is that they do not clutter my map with things I already collected.

Has filters under M (open map, click funnel looking icon), you can turn off or on. :-)
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still use Lost Treasure, since it distinguishes between Surveys and Treasure Maps.

I still use Lorebooks, since it also marks normal lore (eidetic memory), not just Mages Guild lore.
  • Grizzly_UK
    Grizzly_UK
    ✭✭✭
    This sounds like an awful lot of function for one addon, given that addon authors tend to leave without warning, and quite often.

Main reason I didn't try it, far too much data/functions in one addon. If the addon breaks for some reason then all that data is no longer available in-game until the addon gets fixed!
    ovinnik wrote: »
    Gythral wrote: »
    Too many issues

The author seems keen on fixing bugs quickly, at least.

A caveat: Data has apparently been taken from other addons (Skyshards, Lorebooks etc.) without permission.

If that caveat turns out to be true then Map Pins may not be around for much longer!
    Elder Scrolls gaming since November 2002 (Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim & Elder Scrolls Online)
  • Baertram
    Baertram
    ✭✭✭✭
    Instead of fixing available addons a new was born, including too much features and appearantly the same data.
    Could be copied and slightly changed, could be datamined by himself like he said.
  • Mintaka5
    Mintaka5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there a commands reference for this addon?
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Baertram wrote: »
    Instead of fixing available addons a new was born, including too much features and appearantly the same data.
    Could be copied and slightly changed, could be datamined by himself like he said.

Well I know for sure he copied some of the Dungeon Bosses locations from another addon.

How do I know? Because there is a marker that is in the wrong location for a boss in one of the caves in Cyrodiil for the addon "Public Dungeon Champions" (which was rolled into "Destinations" with permission). And guess what addon also has the incorrect location marked? Map Pins.
  • Baertram
    Baertram
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, as I said...
    This addon is a half-copy of other addons and other addon dev's work. Users just want the addon to work. Most do not think about or care about how and where the data comes from.
    If one author leaves or got not enough time anymore (because they'd like to play the game as well ...) they will just blame them and switch to another addon (which just stole the data and work...).

At least not all users are acting like this. There are also some friendly people who support the ones who did this job for ages now instead of switching to other "copies". Thank you to these users, and one sentence to the others:
    "Maybe think about what happens if these copied/stolen addon devs need to remove them because of copyright and legal reasons, or if they will simply leave because of Karma :)".
  • Bogdano
    Bogdano
    I had to remove Map Pins to get the latest revision of ESO to work. I couldn't use the way stations and an error message would pop up, giving me the option to dismiss it. The error message said something about "pairing".

I hope Map Pins will be revised to make it compatible.
  • daim
    daim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bogdano wrote: »
    I had to remove Map Pins to get the latest revision of ESO to work. I couldn't use the way stations and an error message would pop up, giving me the option to dismiss it. The error message said something about "pairing".

I hope Map Pins will be revised to make it compatible.

Well it was updated a few days ago and I have no problems. I suggest reading https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info1881-MapPins.html#comments

Also holy necrothread from 2018 ;P
    ""I am that which grips the heart in fright, hearkens night and silences the light." It was written on my sword, long…long ago." ―Ajunta Pall
    PC|EU
  • ZOS_Volpe
    ZOS_Volpe
    admin
    Greetings,

We have closed this topic as it was originally created in 2018 and the information contained within may no longer be relevant to the game. In many cases, it's better to create a new thread on a topic that you want to discuss as opposed to bumping one that is rather old.

Thank you for your understanding
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.