Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Maelstrom Drops

nalimoleb14_ESO
nalimoleb14_ESO
✭✭✭✭
To start off, I don't mean for this to come across as a bratty thread, I'm genuinely curious about whether the drop rate for the Inferno staff is actually on par with the other staves. I'm a magicka DK dunmer (not that it matters, I hope), and these are the 23 drops I've received from Maelstrom:

1x axe (one-hand)
2x battle axe (two-hand)
3x bow
1x dagger
3x greatsword
3x ice staff
2x lightning staff
2x maul
2x restoration staff
1x shield
3x swords (one-hand)
0x inferno staff

Not a single inferno staff, the only weapon that I actually need from Maelstrom. Can anyone please confirm what the drop rate for the Inferno staff is? It's just mindblowing that I get multiple lightning, resto, and ice staves, but not a single inferno staff, like its drop rate is much lower than all the rest - and of course, the majority of the drops I receive are stamina weapons which I'll never use. I don't enjoy Maelstrom Arena (at all) and it's a real kick in the teeth pouring hours into farming the arena just to get every single weapon but the one you'll actually have use for. I'm surprised there's no "select your weapon after your 20th or 30th or 100th run", but that's probably a topic for another thread. In any case if anyone has any info on the Inferno Staff drop rate, or if a Dev can confirm, I'd be super appreciative, thanks!
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There’s no special drop rate for inferno staves ... you’re just suffering from poor RNG on the weapon you actually want. All weapons have the same drop rate in vMA.
  • Ipsius
    Ipsius
    ✭✭✭✭
    I’ve ran it 7 times. First 5 in a row were Cruel Flurry, last 2 were 1-hand and shield. Rng sucks sometimes.
  • Getern
    Getern
    ✭✭✭
    Dude, u have done it just 23 times and you are coming here to complain? What is wrong with u ppl? I wish I could send u back in time to One Tamriel iteration so you could see how great RNG was for ppl. So not only u would struggle with actual type of weapon but also with trait. Damn Transmutation System, who wanted that to begin with?
  • Emmagoldman
    Emmagoldman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fine to complain, i swear my 2nd and third drops were inferno sharpened, followed by shock.
  • nalimoleb14_ESO
    nalimoleb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Getern wrote: »
    Dude, u have done it just 23 times and you are coming here to complain? What is wrong with u ppl? I wish I could send u back in time to One Tamriel iteration so you could see how great RNG was for ppl. So not only u would struggle with actual type of weapon but also with trait. Damn Transmutation System, who wanted that to begin with?

I should have mentioned that I'm also not here for the "back in my day" comments. I've been playing ESO since 2014, and I'm aware that players would farm Maelstrom Arena thousands of times for Sharpened Inferno staves to no avail. I literally began my thread with "To start off, I don't mean for this to come across as a bratty thread." I just found it strange that after 23 drops, not a single one was an Inferno staff, and I've gotten doubles/triples of nearly every other weapon, and I wanted to know what other players' experiences were, and to confirm that the Inferno Staff does, in fact, have the same drop rate as the other weapons in the current patch.

Thanks for confirming everyone, I'll keep at it. :smile:
    Edited by nalimoleb14_ESO on May 13, 2018 10:31PM
  • Nyladreas
    Nyladreas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    To start off, I don't mean for this to come across as a bratty thread, I'm genuinely curious about whether the drop rate for the Inferno staff is actually on par with the other staves. I'm a magicka DK dunmer (not that it matters, I hope), and these are the 23 drops I've received from Maelstrom:

1x axe (one-hand)
    2x battle axe (two-hand)
    3x bow
    1x dagger
    3x greatsword
    3x ice staff
    2x lightning staff
    2x maul
    2x restoration staff
    1x shield
    3x swords (one-hand)
    0x inferno staff

Not a single inferno staff, the only weapon that I actually need from Maelstrom. Can anyone please confirm what the drop rate for the Inferno staff is? It's just mindblowing that I get multiple lightning, resto, and ice staves, but not a single inferno staff, like its drop rate is much lower than all the rest - and of course, the majority of the drops I receive are stamina weapons which I'll never use. I don't enjoy Maelstrom Arena (at all) and it's a real kick in the teeth pouring hours into farming the arena just to get every single weapon but the one you'll actually have use for. I'm surprised there's no "select your weapon after your 20th or 30th or 100th run", but that's probably a topic for another thread. In any case if anyone has any info on the Inferno Staff drop rate, or if a Dev can confirm, I'd be super appreciative, thanks!

3x bow... I hate your luck
    Staves is all i get
    Edited by Nyladreas on May 13, 2018 10:32PM
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Id like to trade you one of mine for a lightning
  • nalimoleb14_ESO
    nalimoleb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nyladreas wrote: »

Lol! If only we could trade RNG luck!
  • blkjag
    blkjag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Took me about 40 runs to get my lighting. Have at least 3 of every weapon except inferno
  • Soleya
    Soleya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It took me somewhere around 40 runs + a half dozen leader board rewards to finally get a fire staff (any trait). Had 3-10 of each other weapon type.
  • N0TPLAYER2
    N0TPLAYER2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My friend ran vma 500+ plus times. Flawless repeatedly. Not one flame staff drop. Made him quit the game.

I got a sharp inferno drop and was scared to tell him lol.

So 23 runs is nothing. Keep at it.
  • Hamrb
    Hamrb
    ✭✭✭✭
    while i do believe its just rng, i will mention that at wrothgar launch i started running and completing vma on my mag sorc day 1, and mostly got stamina weapons. then when i started grinding on my stamina toons i seemed to mostly get healer and magicka weapons. along with RNG i know that gamblers have a habit of remembering their loses more than their wins, so maybe attribute my memory of the situation to that? i dont know haha

since itll get to this anyways ill complain. i never ended up getting my sharp inferno or lightning staves. only ice :'(. around this time last year the frustration caught up to me after leader boarding and running multiple times a week, and i ended up taking a year break. so ya, to the person who said, "who wanted transmutation stations anyway" or however it was worded . well, i did
    Edited by Hamrb on May 13, 2018 11:46PM
    Founder of Sheogorath's Mortals NA PC

Exiled Lannister EP Sorc dps
    Hamrb EP Temp healer or dps
    l mufasa l EP Stamblade
    Fat Tyrion EP DK dps
    Mia Stone AD DK tank or dps
    Finn the Altmer AD Nightmage
    Launch Pad McQuack DC DK DPS
    Sterk Stonecrusher EP Stamplar
    -Wabba Jack DC Stam Sorc
    Sheo's Sweeper DC Magicka Temp
  • AbysmalGhul
    AbysmalGhul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    *throws abundance of daggers at this thread
  • ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Big data win
  • N0TPLAYER2
    N0TPLAYER2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh and it is rng but if you don’t think it’s weighted rng you’re insane. This game is full of that.

Inferno staff, sharpened especially, is definitely weighted well below other drops. How many sword and Sheilds do we all have? Lol
  • DuskMarine
    DuskMarine
    ✭✭✭✭✭

1x axe (one-hand)
    2x battle axe (two-hand)
    3x bow
    1x dagger
    3x greatsword
    3x ice staff
    2x lightning staff
    2x maul
    2x restoration staff
    1x shield
    3x swords (one-hand)
    0x inferno staff

to be honest maelstrom weapons wont have a point when summerset drops since we can roll 2 five pieaces and a 2 pieace
  • MakeMeUhSamich
    MakeMeUhSamich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here’s my MagSorc data (some were double drop event runs):

VMA Loot
    1. Lightning Staff - Decisive
    2. Maul - Defending
    3. Inferno Staff - Charged
    4. Greatsword - Defending
    5. Bow - Sharpened
    6. Restoration Staff - Defending
    7. Inferno Staff - Infused
    8. Ice Staff - Powered
    9. Lightning Staff - Nirnhoned
    10. Axe - Defending & Dagger - Powered
    11. Lightning Staff - Defending
    12. Axe - Sharpened & Axe - Nirnhoned
    13. Dagger X2 - Sharpened
    14. Dagger X2 - 1 Precise & 1 Defending
    15. Inferno Staff - Sharpened
    16. Lightning Staff - Precise
    17. Lightning Staff - Defending
    18. Dagger X2 - 1 Charged & 1 Nirnhoned
    19. Axe - Infused & Dagger - Powered
    20. Dagger X2 - Precise & Powered
    21. Shield - Infused & Mace - Powered
    22. Ice Staff - Defending
    23. Axe - Charged & Dagger - Precise
    24. Ice Staff - Nirnhoned
    25. Axe - Precise, Mace - Charged, & Maul - Charged
    26. Lightning Staff - Defending
    27. Ice Staff - Nirnhoned
    28. Ice Staff - Precise
    29. Inferno Staff - Nirnhoned
    30. Restoration Staff - Decisive
  • Kalante
    Kalante
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    im a stam player and i get tons of inferno staffs but not a single 2h great sword not that it really matters since maelstrom 2h weapons for stamina characters are completely useless.
    Edited by Kalante on May 14, 2018 2:43AM
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

1x axe (one-hand)
    2x battle axe (two-hand)
    3x bow
    1x dagger
    3x greatsword
    3x ice staff
    2x lightning staff
    2x maul
    2x restoration staff
    1x shield
    3x swords (one-hand)
    0x inferno staff

Staves is all i get

I get staves and bows fine ... but never any duel wield. Just one vMA dagger in all my runs.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on May 14, 2018 7:07AM
  • Bigevilpeter
    Bigevilpeter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah same here I have multiple of each other kind of weapon, but not a single inferno staff. Thats one of the main reasons im not building my Magika dps.

I think it kinda has a lower drop rate
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Someone explained it to me that the drop RNG is divided between 6 weapons.
    So you have 1/6 chance to get a destro staff for example.

After that you have 3 types of destro staves so 1/3 x 1/6 = 1/18 chance to get the inferno staff.

For the bow and resto staff there is only one weapon type so the chance to get a bow remains 1/6.

PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • AntonShan
    AntonShan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Made like 10 runs total - got Ice staff, 2 Lightning staff, 2 bows, Battleaxe, Longsword, S&B and 3 inferno staves. Some items came with weekly rewards.
  • Lord_Eomer
    Lord_Eomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

1x axe (one-hand)
    2x battle axe (two-hand)
    3x bow
    1x dagger
    3x greatsword
    3x ice staff
    2x lightning staff
    2x maul
    2x restoration staff
    1x shield
    3x swords (one-hand)
    0x inferno staff

3 bows, 2 lighting and still complaining?
  • hmsdragonfly
    hmsdragonfly
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Lol! If only we could trade RNG luck!

I have 6 bows, at least all my stamina chars have a vMA bow so i don't have to move gear between chars.
    I would kill for a 2H.
    Edited by hmsdragonfly on May 14, 2018 2:04PM
    Aldmeri Dominion Loyalist. For the Queen!
  • Inarre
    Inarre
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will trade inferno staff for sword and board. I have several for you to choose from :'(
  • Kuramas9tails
    Kuramas9tails
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We must have the same RNG luck. I have only gotten 1 Inferno staff but I had so many bows I started deconstructing them.
      Your friendly neighborhood crazy cat lady of ESO
      New PSN name: SundariTheLast. Proud seller in RedEye Empire, PURPLE GANG and Backalley Trading.
      AD High Elf Mageblade DPS (General)(Former Empress) -- Stormproof/VMOL, VHOF, VDSA completion
      AD Khajiit Mageblade DPS -- Flawless Conquerer
      FOR THE QUEEN!
      PS4/NA
    • Cyrrius
      Cyrrius
      Soul Shriven
      Here's my google doc spreadsheet on my vMA drops if anyone's interested. I've gotten 9 inferno staves in 174 separate weapon drops.
      https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uuFhBSTAEgm5uBNj5RFHlKQOifTOHfER48FyQrBXnac/edit?usp=sharing
      Avid collector of internet points
      vMA is fun
    • AndyMac
      AndyMac
      ✭✭✭✭
      I run vMA on a mDK plus a couple of clears on a mNB - I almost always get stamina weapons. I did get a flame staff during the orsinium anniversary last year so I can't complain too much.

I have gotten two restos and one ice staff after maybe 30 clears.

I'd believe that stam clears tend to get magicka weapons.

Given that I've got about six bows I'm inclined to turn my crafter into a stamplar and run vMA on that to find out - but I'm not sure I hate myself enough.
      Andymac - Magicka DK - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror
    • testd4n1
      testd4n1
      ✭✭✭
      RNG can just be bad. My has only cleared vMA once, got a Nirn Shock Staff. Has never been back in.
    • Oreyn_Bearclaw
      Oreyn_Bearclaw
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      LMAO at 23 clears.

Call me at 230...

Sorry if that makes me sound like an ass, but you havent even scratched the surface of that place. Also, its just RNG. Once I broke the seal and got my first sharp inferno, I got my second one on the following run, and another about 3 runs later. I got a precise inferno relatively early on (before trait change), but I had about 200 runs under my belt before I got a second one (which happened to be sharp). With trait change, this place is a shell of its former self in terms of the grind.

In other news, once trait change dropped, I deconed all but 6 of each weapon type to save. At that time, I still didnt have a sharp Bow (BIS at the time), but had I think 11 or 12 precise ones and close to 25 total.
      Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on May 14, 2018 9:59PM
    This discussion has been closed.