Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Is the precursor worth it? NO

Iccengi
Iccengi
✭✭✭
So I just spent 5 hours slogging through 4 quest lines (had to do a few quests including some of the main cwc questline) and bouncing all over Tamriel for a cool metal dummy I thought would be great for my new priory home and a little more fitting then skeletons. But....

SURPRISE!!!!

It’s got a whopping 390k health.
I burst it down in less then 10 seconds with no food and no buffs and no trap on my nb. I don’t get it. It’s a lot of work to get one dummy. They’re bound. It’s not gonna ruin the market if they had the normal test dummy health. You could I suppose make toons and delete them to farm more then max 14 but that seems like the sort of task that would cause 99% of us to drink bleach just to end our own misery.

Once again I feel zos could have made an awesome choice but instead decided to kick us in the aśś when we weren’t looking :(
  • tonyhextrab16_ESO
    tonyhextrab16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I know what you`re saying, but...it IS free....Free is good B)

Personally (eventually) I`m going to get it on all my characters....Have my own ridiculously weak and useless army :)
    No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, however, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    He has cool lines and he fits my clockwork workshop so I'm satisfied
  • SisterGoat
    SisterGoat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It IS free. Just buy a skeleton or whatever, you can get them with gold or crowns.
    Jumps-In-Water - Magicka Templar
    Dar'akar - Stamina Nightblade
    Jumps-In-Lava - Magicka Dragon Knight
    PC/NA
  • Iccengi
    Iccengi
    ✭✭✭
    I disagree it’s not free. It takes several hours to do the quest. Hours I could spend doing something more enjoyable.
    SisterGoat wrote: »
    It IS free. Just buy a skeleton or whatever, you can get them with gold or crowns.
    I have 3-5 dummies in all my large houses. I’m not an idiot that doesn’t know regular skeletons don’t exist or am too cheap to buy them. Hence my complaint here that this dummy is rediculous comparatively speaking.
  • Streega
    Streega
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iccengi wrote: »
    I disagree it’s not free. It takes several hours to do the quest. Hours I could spend doing something more enjoyable.
    I have 3-5 dummies in all my large houses. I’m not an idiot that doesn’t know regular skeletons don’t exist or am too cheap to buy them. Hence my complaint here that this dummy is rediculous comparatively speaking.

It is free, dummy ;) Free robot with free adventure and you get free fun afterwards - my guildies love it :3
    It's a solid reason for my vet character to visit all those places again (and farm Dwemer motifs) and a good training path for my 40-ish alt. I don't like CWC (all that metal gives me headache), but I treasure my little Dwemer thingy - and I cringe every time someone hits him :'(
    Soo, stop whining, maybe? Have some silly fun sometimes instead of constantly bashing some old bones to "git gud", sheeesh...
    ⊂( ̄(工) ̄)⊃ Don't-Care-Bear ⊂( ̄(工) ̄)⊃
    PC EU "House Tertia" - Friendly Guild for Mature Folks (housetertia.com)
    PC EU "Priests of Hircine" - Awesome Guild for Friendly Werewolves (free bites!)
    Member of "Guild Masters United"
    Master Angler
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I find it useful.

It's pretty nice to practice combos on, and is better for testing single hits on than the other dummy, given that you can rest it in 10 seconds or so.

Also good for Ulti-gen
    Lord and Savior of the Association of Serious S***posters.

I play a character called "Gives Me Wood Elf" because I am a mature and sensible person.
    Stam Sorc main in Battlegrounds
  • dpencil1
    dpencil1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fact that he had low hp, similar to a mini-boss, was made known well in advance. Sorry OP if you were operating under a false assumption. Maybe do some more research before grinding hours of your life away for nothing. Or, you know...just try to find some enjoyment in the fact that you're playing a game.
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think it’s really cool just the way it talks and fits in my home. If you have the other target skeletons then why does it matter. The quest was easy I used google and finished in about an hour. Well worth the time and fun I had bursting him down over and over.

I use him as a Butler in my home
  • Armatesz
    Armatesz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm pretty much going to get a bunch of them to showcase a crowd control dps test for people that visit my home. Yeah they are quick to kill.
    Ärmätèsz
    Xbox NA
    Guildless (by choice)
  • Scraelos
    Scraelos
    ✭✭✭
    It's totally worth it. It comments your actions like sex toilet from "Better Call Saul" does.
  • SisterGoat
    SisterGoat
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The quest itself doesn't take THAT long. Don't do it on any alts if it's such a pain. I thought the quest was fun and I like killing it, it's funny.
    Edited by SisterGoat on November 15, 2017 8:29AM
    PC/NA
  • Bladerunner1
    Bladerunner1
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's approximately the strength of a trash mob in a vet DLC dungeon, maybe a tad stronger than the average. One way to test a build is single target DPS, but don't forget about AOE DPS.

I'm making an effort to grab at least 4 and set them on the opposite side of my training area because I like to test out everything.
  • sudaki_eso
    sudaki_eso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found it quite fun to be questing all over tamriel again to find those parts. It can take quite some time if you dont "cheat" and look up the places online - here i would agree with OP that it takes about a couple of hours. On the other hand, the infos about the dummy were out there long time ago and no one forced you to do the quest :wink:
    I like him, not that i really needed him but he found his place in my house.
    PS4 EU - StamDK
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So I just spent 5 hours slogging through 4 quest lines (had to do a few quests including some of the main cwc questline) and bouncing all over Tamriel for a cool metal dummy I thought would be great for my new priory home and a little more fitting then skeletons. But....

SURPRISE!!!!

It’s got a whopping 390k health.
    I burst it down in less then 10 seconds with no food and no buffs and no trap on my nb. I don’t get it. It’s a lot of work to get one dummy. They’re bound. It’s not gonna ruin the market if they had the normal test dummy health. You could I suppose make toons and delete them to farm more then max 14 but that seems like the sort of task that would cause 99% of us to drink bleach just to end our own misery.

Once again I feel zos could have made an awesome choice but instead decided to kick us in the aśś when we weren’t looking :(

yes, its health could be much higher, but wait, you did not know upfront, how much its health willl be?
  • Storymaster
    Storymaster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...but that seems like the sort of task that would cause 99% of us to drink bleach just to end our own misery.

Hmmm. That sounds suspiciously like the magic potion they made that makes you forget about The Phantom Menace.

Character Profiles:
    Puck Tanglevine - Bosmer Nightblade
    Cyron Kane - Imperial Dragonknight (Retired)
  • Stopnaggin
    Stopnaggin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Then spend your time doing other things, they arent forcing you to do the quest. They give you free stuff and you *** about it? Its a toy for your house nothing more. Has great lines when you hit him, its funny. If you don't do s it amusing then don't use it, don't waste you time on the quest, really pretty simple. All the problems you could *** about and this is what you choose. SMH
  • SGT_Wolfe101st
    SGT_Wolfe101st
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly the quest was fun and interesting and I like it when you are sent back out into the world to find items. There are so many amazing places in this game that I rarely visit. I think most of us tend to hang out in the populated cities, getting items, shopping at guild traders, getting our dailies, etc., this got me away from that typical interaction. Then to top it all off, after a fun quest, you get something to show for it that isn't something you'll hang on the wall or decon. Its a win all around IMO.
    Edited by SGT_Wolfe101st on November 17, 2017 2:43PM
    PS4 -NA AD

Wood Elf - StamNB - DPS
    Nord - MagDK - Tank
    High Elf - MagSorc - DPS
    Dark Elf - Mag Warden- Healer
  • SisterGoat
    SisterGoat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every DLC/chapter with a new area since Wrothgar has something you have to collect or have a do list for, and that was it for this DLC.
    PC/NA
  • Armatesz
    Armatesz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every DLC/chapter with a new area since Wrothgar has something you have to collect or have a do list for, and that was it for this DLC.

There is the food recipes you can get in clockwork city too, plus you have to get the training dummy just to get a certain memento.
    Ärmätèsz
    Xbox NA
    Guildless (by choice)
  • Armatesz
    Armatesz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Note this memento I am talking about is a funny one to use and watch others chase it. You would be surprised at how many times people chase it.
    Ärmätèsz
    Xbox NA
    Guildless (by choice)
  • Iccengi
    Iccengi
    ✭✭✭
    Stopnaggin wrote: »

Then spend your time doing other things, they arent forcing you to do the quest. They give you free stuff and you *** about it? Its a toy for your house nothing more. Has great lines when you hit him, its funny. If you don't do s it amusing then don't use it, don't waste you time on the quest, really pretty simple. All the problems you could *** about and this is what you choose. SMH

If there are things that you want to complain about then feel free just as I’m free to complain about what I want to as well. I put this up to help people getting swayed by all the “oh you can get an awesome free test dummy” it’s not. It’s not even close to being really useful. I agree with the comment that “it’s a toy for your house” and that really all it is. If you want to farm for a toy much like in vvardenfell farming for the pet or robe then great. If you want to farm for a test dummy which is what I hear a lot of then don’t bother.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Your idea of worth is different than my idea of worth.

Does the quest to get the thing provide enjoyment? Yep
    Is the Story with the quest interesting and compelling? Yep
    Does making the Precursor give an excuse to go back to places not visited in a while? Yep
    Does it give pithy comments while wailing on it? Yep
    Does it look good? Yep
    Does it cost me any money or gold? Nope

Sounds pretty awesome to me.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• tonyhextrab16_ESO
    tonyhextrab16_ESO
    ✭✭✭

Personally (eventually) I`m going to get it on all my characters....Have my own ridiculously weak and useless army :)

TEN-HUT!

Screenshot_20171124_194709_zpsihy4ajr8.png

We are coming. Be afraid....be very slightly afraid.......
    No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, however, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The precursor being worth it depend on the person. It is part of a story line and that itself is worth it to some. Also, some can probably do it in less than 5 hours to less work on their part.

So, in the end, to each their own.
  • SisterGoat
    SisterGoat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are one those people who hate doing quests or running around to collect things, then I guess it would not be worth it. But I'd say the average person enjoys or does not mind it.
    PC/NA
  • Paazhahdrimaak
    Paazhahdrimaak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It took me like an hour maybe an hour and a half. But I did it for the achievement.
    And a free dummie for my noob friends I'm working up to shape.
  • Orticia
    Orticia
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't mind at all that it is a weaker one. As a casual mostly solo player he is rather telling for the boss type mobs I mostly encounter and how long those encounters last. So it isn't a bad thing to practice and test out rotation, burst, gear with for me at all. Also means I don't have to hit it as long to get an idea how i did.

Add to that I found getting it fun, only needed to do it once and it's free... and it's the most fun dummy looks and reaction wise with a nice story background to go with it... i will say it's the best target dummy out there for the likes of me.
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with the OP. A "TEST DUMMY" should stay alive long enough to run at least 25 parces of a full rotation to get an accurate idea of one DPS, I mean that is the whole point in a test dummy right?

With the exception of testing executes, I don't understand why the dummies have a health at all.
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

TEN-HUT!

Screenshot_20171124_194709_zpsihy4ajr8.png

We are coming. Be afraid....be very slightly afraid.......
    tumblr_mydvn3oWFz1s4kizwo1_500.gif

Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • Armatesz
    Armatesz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raideen wrote: »
    I agree with the OP. A "TEST DUMMY" should stay alive long enough to run at least 25 parces of a full rotation to get an accurate idea of one DPS, I mean that is the whole point in a test dummy right?

With the exception of testing executes, I don't understand why the dummies have a health at all.

Certain abilities have certain requirements and they get boosted from it.
    Ärmätèsz
    Xbox NA
    Guildless (by choice)
This discussion has been closed.