Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Morrowind Closed Beta "Invitation" Email?

Aca2017
Aca2017
✭✭✭
I received an email, on the email account I have associated with ESO, putatively containing an ESO "Morrowind" closed beta "invitation".

The subject line is "Elder Scrolls Online - Code Redemption", the preamble reads "You've successfully redeemed a code for The Elder Scrolls® Online. We're applying it to your account now! Your receipt and further details can be found below." and the email in general contains instructions on how to access the PTS and etc, as well as a "code" (20 alphanumeric characters, clearly labelled "code").

Suspicious of phishing, I have scrupulously traversed none of the links contained in the email (though inspecting the HTML, they appear to be valid, which would be strange for a phishing attempt).

Attempting to redeem the "code" from the email via my account settings at account.elderscrollsonline.com has no effect ("Invalid Code" error message). Following the instructions for installing the PTS client via the legitimate launcher, and launching the PTS client, all appear to be correct. The apparently legitimate PTS client permits me to log into the PTS using my regular ESO account/password. After several screens worth of disclaimers, etc, I am prompted for a code. Entering the "code" from the email via this prompt results in an error message "Your previous attempt to enter an access code failed". I am then (apparently, this is confusing) instructed to watch for a new/subsequent email containing a new code (?).

I attempted all of this approximately 5.5 hours after receiving the email (in case the "code" is for some inexplicable reason extremely time sensitive). I have indeed pre-ordered ESO "Morrowind" (from Amazon.com, weeks ago), if that means anything.

All of this looks like a clumsy attempt at phishing. I would hope that if ESO actually wanted me to participate in the closed beta, they would provide a means of accessing the game successfully (without being so time sensitive that a 5 hour delay was significant). An access method that fails cryptically, as this one has, doesn't seem very useful.

Unless someone in an official capacity responds here with precise instructions regarding what to do, I am going to disregard this email, and all such further emails, on the assumption that they are phishing attempts. I will also virus scan my system, just in case.

If this is indeed a phishing attempt, no doubt others will receive similar emails. Be advised.
  • Cêltic421
    Cêltic421
    ✭✭✭✭
    I received one early this morning. Sounds like the same email. I play on PS4 and don't have game on PC so don't know why they sent me a invitation.
  • Aca2017
    Aca2017
    ✭✭✭
    Took a look at the raw header on the email I received. It has been 30+ years since I was a UNIX systems administrator and could dissect this sort of thing, but everything references the sender as "noreply@mail.elderscrollsonline.com", which ESO says is "valid" (i.e. an address that legitimately originates email to users). I don't know enough about the ESO email server(s) identity(s) to be able to validate the auto-generated origin and chain-of-custody data in the header.

However, I also seem to remember most of the content of email headers can be "forged".

Anyway, this in combination with all the links embedded in the email apparently being legitimate, this begins to look like a not-so-clumsy phishing attempt. Be very careful.
  • Gorak
    Gorak
    ✭✭✭
    This is Zos's poorly worded way of telling you that you have been invited to the closed beta. I got the same email last week, and just logged into the PTS after updating it.
    I want a raven avatar, please.
    PC NA; DC ftw
  • Cêltic421
    Cêltic421
    ✭✭✭✭
    I got invited but like I said I play on PS4 never on PC. With that being said is there a way I can download client to get in beta?
  • Aca2017
    Aca2017
    ✭✭✭
    This is Zos's poorly worded way of telling you that you have been invited to the closed beta.

Well, if this is in fact legitimate, it is not working. The PTS client is prompting me for a "code" and the "code" provided in the email is being rejected.

So, not just "poorly worded" but "completely dysfunctional". Sad. I would have liked to try things out.
  • ManwithBeard9
    ManwithBeard9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Aca2017 wrote: »
    This is Zos's poorly worded way of telling you that you have been invited to the closed beta.

Well, if this is in fact legitimate, it is not working. The PTS client is prompting me for a "code" and the "code" provided in the email is being rejected.

So, not just "poorly worded" but "completely dysfunctional". Sad. I would have liked to try things out.

The code is automatically redeemed. The only thing you do is load up the PTS and start testing.

Are you getting a login report of it being an unfamiliar computer? That code would be in a separate email and it would be about 6 or 7 letters.
    Edited by ManwithBeard9 on April 25, 2017 2:09AM
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The code is automatically redeemed. The only thing you do is load up the PTS and start testing.

Are you getting a login report of it being an unfamiliar computer? That code would be in a separate email and it would be about 6 or 7 letters.
    Yep. Check your billing history and the beta code should already be applied. The code you have to enter when booting up the PTS for the first time is the "new computer or IP address" code, which is not related to the beta code and will be in a different email.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Aca2017
    Aca2017
    ✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »

Yep. Check your billing history and the beta code should already be applied. The code you have to enter when booting up the PTS for the first time is the "new computer or IP address" code, which is not related to the beta code and will be in a different email.

Ahh, amazing. Sometimes I am too literal minded. I am able to log into the normal game, but I suppose the PTS is a different server and has no prior record of me?

Yes, I have received recent "Login from Unknown IP Address" emails.
    • these emails make no attempt to identify which server is generating the error (i.e. PTS versus normal)
    • the prompt for this code on the part of the PTS client makes reference to "codes" in an "email" (generically) but makes no attempt to identify which email specifically (for instance, by email subject line), or what the code looks like, or in any way differentiates the "Unknown IP Address" process from the invitation process
    • I have not encountered this validation mechanism before, so didn't have any idea what was happening or what I was looking for/etc

Given this disconnect, I disregarded these emails since I was able to log into the normal game, and attempted to enter the "code" supplied in the invitation email when prompted by the PTS server (since the invitation email contained a "code" and seemed more directly relevant). The notion that the PTS server would know about my account/etc, but would not know my IP address, just never occurred to me. As I said, the normal game has never prompted me in this way.

Anyway, all is well now. Attempted to log in (prompted for code), received an "Unknown IP Address" email synchronous with this (containing a code), entered the code, and all is well.

Thanks very much for all your help! Sorry for being so easily confused :-).
  • Aca2017
    Aca2017
    ✭✭✭
    Yep. Check your billing history and the beta code should already be applied.

Now that I have access, a new problem has arisen.

Could not create a Warden on the PTS. Checking my billing history reveals no beta code has been applied. So, another disconnect. May I conclude I should just wait and watch for this to occur "automatically"?

Edited by Aca2017 on April 25, 2017 4:07PM
  • Greydir
    Greydir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your Billing history shows no beta code, then you should check, if the account you are looking at is the same account which is connected to the E-Mail adress the Mail about the closed Beta got to.
    Ebenherzpakt
    Sir Greydir - Dunmer DK
    Don Greydir - Kajit NB
    Ser Greydir - Imperial DK
    Dieser-Greydir-Heilt - Argonier Templer
    Greydir Finsterklinge - Bretone NB
    Greydir Drakenson - Nord Hüter
    Clear: vAA HM - vHrC HM - vSO HM - vMoL HM - vHoF TTT - vAS [+2] - vCR [+3] GH - vSS HM - vKA HM - vRG
  • Balibe
    Balibe
    ✭✭✭✭
    Console players cannot use the code if they were invited to the closed beta. It will be rejected as invalid but the closed beta still shows up under your billing history .....

According to Gina, they were unintentionally sent out. Really stinks as the post from Gina came 24+ hours after the beta email was received by console players. Some purchased the game on PC before her post and now the codes are no longer active .....

Hey guys, apologies for the confusion. We unintentionally sent some emails for beta to some console players. Beta and the PTS is, and remains, only on PC/Mac. Some of you may have received access to the closed beta forum section; this has been resolved, and you no longer have access since this is strictly for beta feedback.

Again, apologies for the mix-up here.
  • Rhoric
    Rhoric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Except for me I am not a console player and they sent the code to my old beta acct from before ESO launched that has never purchased the game. I am currently trying to get a response from support to transfer said code to my actual game acct.
  • Paraflex
    Paraflex
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yea I am a PS4 player and purchased a PC copy and they deactivated the codes or something. I logged into PTS and can't access morrowind....what a joke
    Hollykills CP 630 Templar Healer - Ad PS4 Warlord Rank

Max Stam/Mag Dk
    Max Stam Sorc
    Max Stam/Mag NB

Don't care to dps much so I heal.

• Balibe
    Balibe
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey guys, apologies for the confusion. We unintentionally sent some emails for beta to some console players. Beta and the PTS is, and remains, only on PC/Mac. Some of you may have received access to the closed beta forum section; this has been resolved, and you no longer have access since this is strictly for beta feedback.

Again, apologies for the mix-up here.
    Paraflex wrote: »
    Yea I am a PS4 player and purchased a PC copy and they deactivated the codes or something. I logged into PTS and can't access morrowind....what a joke

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_MattFiror

The same issue for a lot players. We purchased a copy of PC to access the beta and support the game ......

Now ZOS has the money, doubt we will get a refund. All we did is respond to an email from ZOS that stated it was for PC, so a lot went and purchased the PC version to participate in beta via the email. After we purchase, they revoke the beta invite because we are console players .....

What a slap in the face. Especially for the console players willing to put the extra effort & expense to buy another copy of the game, then take the time to install a the game on our PC's so we can participate in the beta .....

Are we as console players thought to be that inferior? Appears console players input/comments are not valued or wanted by ZOS .....

I have played numerous MMO's on the PC over the years, this is my first MMO on the console. I thought it would be nice to sit back in my lazyboy with my feet kicked up playing an MMO on a 60" screen. I have enjoyed it regardless of the console limitations versus a pc .....

I was willing to put out the expense for another copy to participate in beta. All MMO's I have played have been on PC, I may have been able to contribute some input. But we will never know now as a console player, my input is not wanted .....

• ZOS_CoriJ
    ZOS_CoriJ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This topic is closed as it is no longer in regards to a Customer Support concern. The original ask is solved.

In discussion of any refunds please see your retailer. If we are your retailer, please contact Support by clicking SUPPORT at the top of the page and logging in to use the Web Assistant.

In discussion of how Morrowind codes were distributed, please go to General Discussion.
    There is already a discussion here.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site

No longer available to take PMs or messages: Please defer to another Moderator
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.