Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

FPS drop over time

Rayth
Rayth
✭✭
At start, all is ok, but after 2 hours of playing mass pvp on Cyrodiil, my FPS is halfed.

I go on a spot, got only 43 FPS.
I leave the game, re-launch it : my FPS return to normal with 87 fps.

I tested this on 2 computers with nvidia cards, with last drivers (mine is 660 Ti, other is 560 Ti) and same problem occure on the 2 PC.

My computer is I5 with 8Go Ram, windows 10 x64.
I'm in communication with ESO assistance but they do not seem to know where the problems come.

Some help would be apreciated, thx.
  • TheDracojan
    TheDracojan
    ✭✭✭
    I had a ton of fps drops lately, until I disabled vsync. After disabling vsync everything was peachy and working perfectly. Also many pro ESO players disable a lot of graphics in pvp due to the heavy load of textures from each player. See which settings your cards can carry and which slow you down. Experiment a little until you find that perfect spot.
  • Rayth
    Rayth
    ✭✭
    I say that i have 87 FPS, so you could have deduct my sync is off.

You don't understand : FPS drop over time.

If i have all graphics at max, at start i got 90fps, after 2 hours i got 40
    If i have all graphics at min, at start i go 200fps, after 2 hours i got 60

It's not related to graphics settings.
  • Tito86
    Tito86
    ✭✭✭
    Check the temperarure on GPU and CPU, maybe it goes up too much after some time
    I used to be an adventurer like you. Then I took an arrow to the knee.
  • strikeback1247
    strikeback1247
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes I feel like I'm playing Elder Scrolls Online: PowerPoint Presentation

Dat 1-2 fps :^)
    P.A.W.S. - Positively Against Wild Sasquatches - NO TO BIGFOOT!
  • Rayth
    Rayth
    ✭✭
    Tito86 wrote: »
    Check the temperarure on GPU and CPU, maybe it goes up too much after some time

Thank to help, but my computer is watercooled, no problem here :

Other programs do not pose any problems (I have hundreds of games on Steam ... ).
    I did not need to leave the game completely, disconnect and reconnect the character is enough to "refresh" the framerate.
    Moreover, if it was a temperature problem, directly restart the game will not allow to have a decent framerate again for over an hour. So it's clearly not a T°c problem.

I tested on another computer : it's the same problem. Make the test yourself and you see what i mean (Personnaly, i test it without any mod, and with all graphics options on max /min to check, it's not related. I even tried disabling the sound card, without the launcher, with administrators privilèges, etc....) :

- Desactivate VSynch to see what is max FPS your computer can render.
    - Start the game and go on a spot : see how many FPS you got (in my case, 90 FPS).
    - Play, 2 or 3 hours, best to see is participate heavy's group PvP on cyrodill, but the problem occure in PvE too (more slowly).
    - Return to the spot and notice the new FPS (in my case, 40 FPS).
    - Quit the game, and launch it directly, notice your FPS (90 again in my case).

(Sorry for my bad English)
    Edited by Rayth on January 18, 2016 2:19PM
  • ZOS_MollyH
    Hi @Rayth !

Some players have noticed performance issues like you're saying when their settings have defaulted to DX9. Can you please check your usersettings.txt file to see if you're running in DX9 or DX11?
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Rayth
    Rayth
    ✭✭
    In my usersettings.txt i got this :

SET GraphicsDriver.7 "D3D11"

I try with "real" fullscreen or windowed without border, problem is always here :(

Delete the ShaderCache.cooked did no change too...
    Edited by Rayth on January 18, 2016 2:25PM
  • Rayth
    Rayth
    ✭✭
    Can't find solution, it's really boring.

I return play Guild Wars 2, and come back here when x64 client will be released, hoping that it will be properly optimized.

:(
  • ZOS_AlexTardif
    ZOS_AlexTardif
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is likely because of a particle system leak, which tends to show its ugly head in more intense PVP scenarios. The system itself has been completely rewritten and thoroughly vetted for these kinds of issues. It is going out with the Thieves Guild patch, in addition to the new 64-bit client.
    Zenimax Online Studios
    Staff Post
  • sirinsidiator
    sirinsidiator
    ✭✭✭✭
    Will this rewrite also fix the bug where the majority of effects won't show up anymore and just their glow is visible after a big fight?
    https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/ - My Addons - The Vault (Early updates and experimental projects) - My patreon - My blog
  • Talcyndl
    Talcyndl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is likely because of a particle system leak, which tends to show its ugly head in more intense PVP scenarios. The system itself has been completely rewritten and thoroughly vetted for these kinds of issues. It is going out with the Thieves Guild patch, in addition to the new 64-bit client.

Thanks for the info Alex.

Question on the 64-bit client...is ZOS recommending we do an uninstall/reinstall to switch to the 64-bit client? Or can the normal patching process handle that?
    Tal'gro Bol
    PvP Vice Officer [Retired] and Huscarl of Vokundein
    http://www.legend-gaming.net/vokundein/
  • Dominoid
    Dominoid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Talcyndl wrote: »

Question on the 64-bit client...is ZOS recommending we do an uninstall/reinstall to switch to the 64-bit client? Or can the normal patching process handle that?

The data files used are the same for both clients. You will only need to download around 300mb for the 64-bit client. (Plus the multiple-gig TG DLC patch)
  • Paulington
    Paulington
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

So @ZOS_AlexTardif is this possible related to this issue that a lot of people get? Slow FPS drop over time and a locked out processor core.
  • ZOS_AlexTardif
    ZOS_AlexTardif
    ✭✭✭✭
    Paulington wrote: »

So @ZOS_AlexTardif is this possible related to this issue that a lot of people get? Slow FPS drop over time and a locked out processor core.

Hi @Paulington , the slow FPS drop could very well be the same issue, though your case seems quite extreme for what we'd normally expect, because you describe (in great detail, thank you!) that it doesn't matter if the scene is intensive or not.

However, we can confirm that the old particle system was indeed single-threaded, which lines up with what you were experiencing with one core cranking up so high. The new system coming with the patch is fully multithreaded, and we've made improvements to effect loading in general to increase speed. If you still have this same issue after the patch, it could be something unrelated to effects, or there may be something deeper causing the problem. Do check back and let us know whether or not this patch makes things better for you!
    Zenimax Online Studios
    Staff Post
  • ZOS_AlexTardif
    ZOS_AlexTardif
    ✭✭✭✭
    Will this rewrite also fix the bug where the majority of effects won't show up anymore and just their glow is visible after a big fight?

Hello @sirinsidiator ! Yes, that was unfortunately a result of the same leak. Like the other issue, the fix was tested extensively to make sure that effects would still appear even after running all night in PvP areas. Depending on your game settings, or if you're in a particularly particle-heavy scenario, you may still encounter times when certain effects that we've deemed lower-priority won't appear sometimes. This is because of caps on our number of allowed particle systems on-screen, which we have in place so that it doesn't use too much memory, CPU, or GPU resources. However, the issue you're experiencing is definitely because of the leak, and that won't happen anymore after the patch.

Other fixes as a result of this particle work include fixes to certain ability effects that would stick around forever after weapon swaps (even if the ability itself was deactivated), and effects like Expert Hunter appearing incorrectly when swapping to a different weapon type.
    Dominoid wrote: »
    Talcyndl wrote: »

The data files used are the same for both clients. You will only need to download around 300mb for the 64-bit client. (Plus the multiple-gig TG DLC patch)

Yep, that's correct! Thanks @Dominoid
    Zenimax Online Studios
    Staff Post
  • sirinsidiator
    sirinsidiator
    ✭✭✭✭
    That sounds brilliant. I am really looking forward to the next update. The missing particle effects and permanently lowered framerate after a big fight and the incorrect effects after swapping weapons are some of the bugs that annoy me the most right now (there are a lot of others too, but these are especially high on my list).
    Can't wait for the update to hit PTS. :D
    https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/ - My Addons - The Vault (Early updates and experimental projects) - My patreon - My blog
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well its good to know the FPS bug is being fixed next patch.
  • Helluin
    Helluin
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if it's because of this system leak or a memory leak, as some friends and guildies keep saying, but since IC patch I started to experience a sudden and random FPS drop.
    Usually I have around 50-60 FPS according to the location (both PvP and PvE), activity, etc.
    Then suddenly FPS go down to 8-12, making game unplayable, then after some seconds (around 5-10) back to 50-60.

Before IC patch I've never experienced this issue, so I hope next patch will fix it.

I have experienced this with ATI (Toxic Radeon 270X), while on another new computer with NVIDIA (GTX 980) I still experience the same but with a less drastic drop (from 70-80 to 25-30 then back to previous value).
    First computer runs Windows 7 64, second one Windows 10 64.
    Edited by Helluin on January 26, 2016 7:56PM
    "... and the blue fire of Helluin flickered in the mists above the borders of the world, in that hour the Children of the Earth awoke, the Firstborn of Ilúvatar."
  • Sotha_Sil
    Sotha_Sil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well this is great news, I hope that it will work in practice. Wait and see.
    Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise! - Spells and incantations for those with the talent to cast them!
  • Rayth
    Rayth
    ✭✭
    Thanks for this information ZOS_AlexTardif
  • Valen_Byte
    Valen_Byte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This happens to me after long sessions in PVP.

What I found was that the addon 'KillCounter' is storing too much info. /reloadui gets me back to normal running. It clears the data that killcounter is storing.

If I get to 200 kills in one session without reloading...I will get a LUA error telling me I am running out of Lua memory. /reloadui clears the data and gets me back running smooth.

Perhaps this will help someone.
    ***Dixon Kay MagDK FORMER EMPEROR***Deca Dix MagDK FORMER EMPORER***Valonious MagPlar FORMER EMPEROR***
    GM of BYTE
    MAY YOUR DEATHS BE SWIFT, AND YOUR LOAD SCREENS LONG.
    And alien tears will fill for him, Pity’s long-broken urn, For his mourners will be outcast men, And outcasts always mourn
  • Xendyn
    Xendyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just found this thread, this is awesome news! I've been having this problem since IC and have tried everything I could find to fix it.

C'mon TG! *crosses fingers and waits impatiently*
    Lag is ruinin' my 'mershun!
    A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
    There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance - Socrates
    Member of the Old Guard, keepers of the game's history

PC/NA
  • uso245
    uso245
    ✭✭✭
    Like many others this issue started with the drop of IC patch. Glad to see some sort of fix is finally coming to us.
    My Facebook Page
    My Youtube Channel
    (DC NA Megaserver) Beta Tester
    My Twitter
    Art of Death
    Fate Stay Night

Member since February 2014
    l
    Strategist/Tactician
  • whykillme
    whykillme
    I truly hope that the 64Bit Client is solving some FPS issue. I have tried everything on the internet an i am hopeless.

My FPS in grathwood doesn't even touch 30. I have an i7 , 16GB mem and a 960 GTX Gaming G4 and people that have a worse graphic card are getting more FPS than i am. Outside the towns my FPS is a bit higher but in some boss battles friends are having steady 30-40 dps and i am 20 or lower making it almost unable to play...
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    woe, wait a moment.
    i thought the MAC version of the 64 bit client was ALL that was being added,
    and that the PC version 64 bit client was NOT going to be added with TG patch?
    did i miss something?
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    this thread it in the "PC" technical support" not "MAC support"
    Edited by Gilvoth on February 5, 2016 7:55PM
  • deleted008293
    deleted008293
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_AlexTardif So this new particle system will come WITH the 64-bit client on PTS? Because right now I have even worse performance on PTS than live and that even since few minutes on PTS.
  • ZOS_AlexTardif
    ZOS_AlexTardif
    ✭✭✭✭
    nordmarian wrote: »
    @ZOS_AlexTardif So this new particle system will come WITH the 64-bit client on PTS? Because right now I have even worse performance on PTS than live and that even since few minutes on PTS.

Hi @nordmarian, yes the new particle system is indeed on PTS already. It appears to have solved the particle-related frame-rate issues and particle effects over time not appearing, however as you've noticed, there are some other framerate issues going on. We are investigating this and fixing those issues piece by piece between now and when Thieves Guild goes live. Stay tuned! Also do note that some issues are specifically related to "Ultra" graphics settings, so if you're currently running on Ultra on PTS, it may be worth scaling back your settings and trying again after each PTS patch to see when it improves.
    Zenimax Online Studios
    Staff Post
  • Delorion
    Delorion
    ✭✭
    Just For the Notes i have the Exact same problem Thread Opener has after 1-2 Hours in Cyrodiil my FPS get literally Halved in my chase from around 80 to around 35ish.

hope this is fixed with Thieves Guild iam tired of restarting the client every hour .
  • sirinsidiator
    sirinsidiator
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @ZOS_AlexTardif,
    The Thieves Guild update did bring some improvements, but I still have variations of the same old issues. :(
    I am currently playing on the x64 client.
    • After big fights in Cyrodiil my FPS get permanently lowered to around 15 frames.
    • During big fights particle effects become invisible (e.g. my own Vigor does not show its effect).
    • Sometimes after big fights, my Evil Hunter's effect gets stuck permanently. It then sticks to the weapon and after swapping them it sticks to the air. Exhibit A, Exhibit B
This discussion has been closed.