Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Regaining magicka with melee weapons

Bloodgharm
Bloodgharm
✭✭✭
So with the proliferation of some classes using melee weapons to boost spell power, I wanted to ask the community if there should be an option somewhere that allows magicka users to regen with heavy attacks from melee weapons. This could be implemented as a passive somewhere in the world tree or something. What do you think?
Edited by ZOS_Icy on July 11, 2022 4:47PM

Regaining magicka with melee weapons 110 votes

Yes; melee weapons should have the ability to regen magicka
54%
ColoursYouHavebigscoothb14_ESOEhrlichcoleb14_ESOSilvistVezDreamo84MalediktusPyrphorosb16_ESOAikoVriendaElara_NorthwindBarsSeptimus_MagnaNebthet78Prizaxb92303008rwb17_ESODaraughmagnusthorekKenaPKKMalmai 60 votes
No, you fool; this would break the lore and cause Armageddon
45%
ThymosShadesofkinlolo_01b16_ESODracaneYusufBugCollectorJitterbugYakidafiPyr0xyrecuprotiteelias.stormneb18_ESOKorah_Eaglecrywhiteshadow711jppreub18_ESOGilGaladTroneonLeggidsalterFrozenAnimalnilldaxSalmonoidDetector 50 votes
  • Pyrphorosb16_ESO
    That's exactly my thought :) I also had the idea about a passive or sth. else where you can regain Magicka via a heavy melee attack.

There are a melee and a range weapontype to regain Stamina but just a range weapontype to regain Magicka.

In my eyes it would round up the overall fighting and I can't see why this should be lore-breaking.
    This is a fantasy world with so many magic things in it, why shouldn't you use and resort to a ''magic pool'' if you're an arcane fighter with magic weapons to boost your fighting?
    Or do you guys think there could be balancing problems and this would be to overpowered?
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just had to pick that 'cause I loved your phraseology.

Actually I don't really care that much.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should not in my opinion. I think, melee weapons should restore more ressources than ranged weapons. Because it's harder to perform them and they should be rewarded with a better ressource gain.
    In fact I've even heared, that melee weapons restore less.

But that was probably a comparison between restoration staff and a sword.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magica based weapons should restore magica, stamina based weapons should restore stamina on heavy attacks. Duh.
    Since there are no magica based melee weapons, no melee weapon should restore magica.
    IF they ever add a partially magica based melee weapon line (cough, one-handed and magic, cough), then that one should restore half-half stamina and magica.
    But that is it.

Now... that stated, this might make an interesting addition as a passive someday... I had been thinking of something like that for a "spellsword" class, to benefit balanced builds with a passive that allows heavy melee weapon attacks to recover additional magica as well...
  • Bloodgharm
    Bloodgharm
    ✭✭✭
    I definitely agree that at some point they should add some sort of melee magicka weapons for a spellsword type of class. Either that or change spell power so that 2h and dw weapons don't add more sp than staves.
  • thelordoffelines
    thelordoffelines
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Noo thats one if the losses you accept when you choose to have more spell damage. If you want magicka return get a staff. And why font you have one anyway you have two weapon choices.
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just put absorb magicka enchants on your weapons.
    The Moot Councillor
  • GuyNamedSean
    GuyNamedSean
    ✭✭✭✭
    What they should do is buff staff bonuses so that people would be discouraged instead of encouraged to use dual wield to buff spell power.
    Former Guildmaster of the Legion of Mournhold
    XBL: GuyNamedSean
    PC: GuyNamedSeanPC
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    All weapon attacks should regen both magicka and stamina, casters need stamina to dodge/block/CC-break and melee builds need magicka for class spells so it would be fair imo.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Shadesofkin
    Shadesofkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bloodgharm wrote: »
    I definitely agree that at some point they should add some sort of melee magicka weapons for a spellsword type of class. Either that or change spell power so that 2h and dw weapons don't add more sp than staves.

We have a spellsword type class, it's called a Sorcerer with a weapon in his hand, or a Templar with a weapon in his hand, or a Dragonknight with a weapon in his hand, or a Nightbla- well you get the idea.
    @shadesofkin -NA Server.
    Tier 2 Player.
    MagDK Main forever (even in the bad times)
  • Vez
    Vez
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, and they already do! Put a glyph of absorb magicka on your melee weapons. Voila!
  • shadowwraith666
    shadowwraith666
    ✭✭✭✭
    previous games have had absorb magicka/health and stamina effects on weapons, so why not, also a few spells restore magicka if they crit.
    • Vicktor Bloodtail - L42 Argonian Magblade, Werewolf - EP
    • Xarxes - L31 Dunmer Sorc, Vampire - EP
    • Lichtspear - L21 Argonian Temp - EP
    • Rajka Fireclaw - L21 Khajit DK - AD

PS4 EU
    Spill some blood for me dear brother
    Vicente Valtiere, Dark Brotherhood, Oblivion
  • PBpsy
    PBpsy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It makes more sense than bashing things in the head maniacally with a hammer and getting less tired.
    Edited by PBpsy on October 24, 2015 10:40PM
    ESO forums achievements
    Proud fanboi
    Elitist jerk
    Troll
    Hater
    Fan of icontested(rainbow colors granted)
  • Pyrphorosb16_ESO
    Glad to hear your opinions :)
    Maybe it's just my inner desire 'cause I always enjoy arcane fighters to use mana/magicka for my melee battlemage-fightingstyle, but if the majority doesn't think our heavy melee attacks should base on/restore magicka then it shouldnt be.

But maybe ZOS thinks about it and maybe let us the choice to do so, 'cause it was said we can play whatever we want to play ;)
  • Levo18
    Levo18
    ✭✭✭✭
    No! Sorcerers should be encouraged to use staves and not dual wield just because it provides more spell damage ( which is unrealistic bs imo ). Once they buff the staves to give the same spell power as swords im ok with it :blush:
  • Nebthet78
    Nebthet78
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I was always under the impression in the Champion Point system under the Lover and Tenacity skill that this was suppose to give both Magicka and Stamina back per heavy attack. It doesn't mention that it is one or the other based on specific weapons you use.

It reads the following: "Increases the amount of magicka and stamina your heavy attacks restore by X%"

I checked and it is indeed not giving back any magicka.. this needs to be fixed.
    Far too many characters to list any more.
  • PBpsy
    PBpsy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nebthet78 wrote: »
    I was always under the impression in the Champion Point system under the Lover and Tenacity skill that this was suppose to give both Magicka and Stamina back per heavy attack. It doesn't mention that it is one or the other based on specific weapons you use.

It reads the following: "Increases the amount of magicka and stamina your heavy attacks restore by X%"

I checked and it is indeed not giving back any magicka.. this needs to be fixed.

It is very clear that what they meant is that it will return more of what you usually get not both. It is just writen in ESO tool tip English so it is ambiguous.
    ESO forums achievements
    Proud fanboi
    Elitist jerk
    Troll
    Hater
    Fan of icontested(rainbow colors granted)
  • Oh_Skrivva
    Oh_Skrivva
    ✭✭✭
    If anything they should just buff spell power for using staffs and take away the spell power bonus with using melee weapons. It breaks lore with the way they have it now. Also I guess you can put a enchant on your melee weapons that does x damage and returns x Mana if you want resources back. Most people don't have a enchant on the melee weapons anyway.
    Costco member

Message brought to you by Cat Queefs Emporium
  • Bloodgharm
    Bloodgharm
    ✭✭✭
    Vez wrote: »
    Yes, and they already do! Put a glyph of absorb magicka on your melee weapons. Voila!

I've never tested this myself, but isn't the amount of magicka gain from an absorb magicka glyph negligible? Especially compared to a staff heavy attack? I don't discount your suggestion, but I feel like you'd need it to be on par with the resource gain from a normal heavy attack to make it worth it imo. I understand that it's not meant to give back an inordinate amount of resource and that it procs on LAs, but there's a significant cooldown time for all weapon enchants that kinda defeats the purpose of trying to sustain.
  • Bloodgharm
    Bloodgharm
    ✭✭✭
    Bloodgharm wrote: »

We have a spellsword type class, it's called a Sorcerer with a weapon in his hand, or a Templar with a weapon in his hand, or a Dragonknight with a weapon in his hand, or a Nightbla- well you get the idea.

What I'm getting at is that there's no such thing as a viable melee magicka weapon. Yes, you can run a sorc, temp, dk and nb with melee weapons and spec for stamina, but your main resource is stamina and (if you know what you're doing) you'll be using magicka strictly for utility. It doesn't really work the other way around. There are only a few stamina utility skills. I'd love to run a melee magicka nb that can weave standard attacks for sustain without having to slot a staff on the off bar. Personally, it breaks immersion to have to be using a staff with concealed weapons.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless it's broken, the champion tree seems to suggest heavy attacks can regenerate both
    Maybe that's not what actually happens and it'll not it would be best for them to edit the description.

I'm a staff player on my main so I hope it works for the melee folks. If not.....I do agree being that most skills are magic based unless morphed, melee should pull magic. As another commented saying that's not what occurs...well that's a ZOS blunder...another one that needs to be addressed asap

(Your poll is kinda wonky so This is my yes in agreement)
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on October 25, 2015 12:11PM
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Pyrphorosb16_ESO
    That's absolutly ok for me when they adjust the spell power of staves to the same amount of 2h/dualwield or even a bit higher. Staves are the weapons #1 for sorcerers, mages or whatever and they should remain that, but I think some more variety to play hybrids effective wouldn't be that bad :) (And for me it would be to have the choice of wether the weapons base on/restore stamina or magicka)
  • Oh_Skrivva
    Oh_Skrivva
    ✭✭✭
    this is why it is always nice to have a healer run ele drain for magic users. :) i keep a destro staff on my healer just in case i need to run it
    Edited by Oh_Skrivva on October 25, 2015 12:34PM
    Costco member

Message brought to you by Cat Queefs Emporium
  • Vrienda
    Vrienda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes please. I play a stam/magic hybrid build with my 2h sword. It'd be nice to get some mana back from my swings as well as stamina.
    Desperate for Roleplaying servers to bring open world non-organised RP to Elder Scrolls Online. Please ZOS.
  • twistedmonk
    twistedmonk
    ✭✭✭
    Why not just restore whichever is higher? your stamina pool or magicka pool???? seems like a simple fix
    Edited by twistedmonk on July 24, 2016 10:57PM
  • KenaPKK
    KenaPKK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I liked it when only resto staff restored a resource as part of its passive.

Idk why they all do now...

But if any do, I think that dw and snb should be able to restore the one you build around since magicka builds use those frequently. Maybe even 2h too.
    Kena
    Legion XIII
    Excellence without elitism
    Premier small scale PvP

Legend
    NA/PC original dueling and general PvP community guild
    Now the hub of competitive dueling and the joined PvP communities of NA and EU/PC

Apex Predator.

Here's a great thread collecting community ideas for PvP updates.

[MEGATHREAD] Feedback Threads for Class Reps

Class Representative Feedback Discords:
    Nightblade Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/t2Xhnu6

Dragonknight Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/UHtZhz8

Sorcerer Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/e3QkCS8

Templar Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/WvVuSw7

Warden Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/sTFY4ys

General Healing Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/6CmzBFb

TONKS!
    https://discord.gg/DRNYd39

Werewolf Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/aDEx2ev

Vampire Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/yfzck8Q
  • vyndral13preub18_ESO
    vyndral13preub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    When they sell us some magicka based melee weapons.
  • Edziu
    Edziu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sooo
    or you are taking staff for magica "mobile" with restore magice from heavy attacks or you just taking dual swords to get more damage not for sustain yes? with only swords you are using only skills because light, heavy attacks are crap
    use your mind logical please

normally you will use only staff on magica build...but..but nah...1 passive in dual increase your damage by 5% while holding dual swords....melee weapon....it should increase only weapon damage from start and noone will complain about dual wield on magica build...just maybe to add similiary passive in staves

again...with staff you also have very good dps because of light, heavy attacks..it is magical weapon...on dual wield you are going just for max burst skills, not for sustain
  • mb10
    mb10
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Where on Earth is the logic of gaining magicka from MELEE attacks? You're forgetting this is an Elder Scrolls game and that has never been a part of any TES game.

L2P and deal with your magicka regen problems
  • mb10
    mb10
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Why not just restore whichever is higher? your stamina pool or magicka pool???? seems like a simple fix

Because that makes NO sense what so ever
This discussion has been closed.