Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

GPU's downclocking in PVP

Dizzmalb14_ESO
I'll start off with my specs because I know that is the first question that will be asked.
I7 3770K @ 4.8Ghz
Asus Maximus V Extreme
EVGA GTX 780 Classifieds in SLI@ 1300Mhz
16Gb 2133 Mhz RAM
2 Samsung 840 Evo 256Gb
EVGA 1000w P2 PSU
Custom liquid cooling on CPU and GPUs

Here is my problem. I normally play @ 5760x1080p on Ultra-High settings with a few adjustments to view distance and some others. Dungeons, open world I can stay In the 90~100FPS. Trials, and towns can dip into the 60s~70s if there is a lot going on.
Problem lies in as soon as zone into Cyrodiil, my GPUs start downclocking thus getting worse FPS. I monitor my temps/clocks with my Logitech G19 keyboard, so I can view it in real time.

As soon as I zone in Cyrodiil I drop to around 70 FPS with no battles around. GPUs downclock from 1300Mhz to 1100Mhz. When light battles start happening The GPUs drop to 900Mhz. Then in heavy siege battles, They will get as low as 600~700Mhz dropping frames to around 20~25 Frames. Here is the kicker. Dropping to single monitor doesn't seem to affect this performance. Also dropping settings from Ultra-high as far down as minimum and it doesn't help much. 5~10FPS at the most. With minimum settings, my cards go to full idle. Around 300~400Mhz on both cards.

Max temps on equipment during this time is:
CPU :41c
GPU1:37c
GPU2:38c
Motherboard: 31c
  • Elf_Boy
    Elf_Boy
    ✭✭✭
    Have you gone to the NV control panel and set it for ESO to have "Prefer Maximum Performence?"

The driver could be downclocking for some unknown reason. Happens in other games too.

How are your temps?

Some cards will down clock if they are getting hot.
    ** Asus Crosshair VI Hero, Ryzen 1800x, 64GB DDR4 @ 3000, GTX 1080 ti, 4K Samsung 3d Display m.2 Sata 3 Boot Drive, m.2 x4 nvme Game Drive **
  • Dizzmalb14_ESO
    Elf_Boy wrote: »
    Have you gone to the NV control panel and set it for ESO to have "Prefer Maximum Performence?"

The driver could be downclocking for some unknown reason. Happens in other games too.

How are your temps?

I have checked the NV control panel. Was set to maximum already, but thank you. I listed temps. The entire rig is under liquid cooling, so my GPUs never reach over 40C.
  • Elf_Boy
    Elf_Boy
    ✭✭✭
    Elf_Boy wrote: »

How are your temps?

I have checked the NV control panel. Was set to maximum already, but thank you. I listed temps. The entire rig is under liquid cooling, so my GPUs never reach over 40C.

Cool

I dont know about the intel side, I'm poor and go with the AMD cpu. Can that one run cores at different speeds? Or park cores if it think the workload is light?

Dont know what else I could recommend.
    ** Asus Crosshair VI Hero, Ryzen 1800x, 64GB DDR4 @ 3000, GTX 1080 ti, 4K Samsung 3d Display m.2 Sata 3 Boot Drive, m.2 x4 nvme Game Drive **
  • Dizzmalb14_ESO
    I have all cores unparked. They all run @ 4.8Ghz. The load is pretty light.
  • SgtSilock
    SgtSilock
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am having the same issue. My card will run at a constant 2038mhz in AC:Odyssey, but in ESO it will drop from 2038mhz to 1600-1700mhz after 30 minutes of play.
  • An3rdyf8tk1d
    An3rdyf8tk1d
    ✭✭
    Maybe its a bottleneck in your build. I don't seem to be having any issues like you have described with my build.

CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.8
    MB : Asus PRIME X470-PRO
    RAM : 32G
    GPU : RTX 2060 8g

I run at maxed settings myself and never miss a beat.
    Edited by An3rdyf8tk1d on February 19, 2019 4:08PM
  • mrpaxman
    mrpaxman
    ✭✭✭
    It is definitely a long explanation but ill try keep it short. The following is from my own research on it. It's an eso thing. eso GPU load has increased over the years. Most graphics cards would sit at around 40% to 70% load when playing in 1080p for many years. Playing at 5760x1080 or 4k increased the load to around 70% to 100% load. The graphics card type was the biggest factor by far. These are average loads Using software that monitors in milliseconds that would show spike drops to 0% load. The difference in FPS between these resolutions would not change as much as other games due to the increased load the GPU gave from demanding more graphics. Increasing the resolution meant it gave more work for the GPU to do and those millisecond spikes to 0% load were far less often. I am only aware of 1 other game ever that does not give 99%+ GPU load. When the patch that gave us multi-core support came out. Most people now get 100% GPU load a lot more often. Not always. In most cases being that it is so common, the CPU is most likely not bottle necking hardware wise. But rather the software/engine not processing and sending enough data to graphics cards from the CPU. Hence the spikes of the graphics card waiting for more info. It sounds very reasonable that PvP could cause lower GPU load as mentioned. I have always played with 5760x1080 since the games release. Asking other players to change their resolution down for a test would usually freak them out before i could even say to them. "now look at your GPU load". I have also found that dual core cpu's since multicore was added perform incredibly better fps wise. Most quad core owners got either nothing or very little increase in FPS. Many owners of 8 or higher cores were not that pleased with it being added. Many owners of some of the most expensive hardware around get lower results then they should. Lower then other systems having lower specs costing far less

The following link has some great official info regarding multi-core support around the time it was introduced
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5063953#Comment_5063953

ps. I failed at keeping it short :)
    Victory or Valhalla!
    PC NA
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    Since this thread is over three years the discussion is being closed. You are welcome to start a new thread on this topic. For anyone running into performance issues you can find assistance in the two help articles below.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.