Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

So... about that patch.

RinaldoGandolphi
RinaldoGandolphi
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
a 12 GB incremental patch?

Can we please have a proper diff patching system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patch_(Unix)

you generate a patch and a diff file, then the client downloads the diff file, and then only downloads the files that have been changed according to the diff...

12 GB is a bit excessive for a patch. At the very least, you could use the 7zip library to compress these files before their downloaded and uncompress them on the client.

the 7zip LZMA SDK is in the public domain, there is no excuse for not compressing these files and decompressing them on the client.

http://www.7-zip.org/sdk.html

12 GB is more space then the entire Windows Operating System + Office...thats insane for a single incremental patch....we might as well throw the baby out with the bath water and just redownload the whole game every time you do an incremental update...

All i ask is, could you please take some of this into consideration...12 Gb is a bit excessive for a patch, especially when open source tools such LZMA SDK is open source you could use to help alleviate this a bit, while also using a proper diff patching system. Thank you for taking the time to accept my feedback, still love the game! :)
Rinaldo Gandolphi-Breton Sorcerer Daggerfall Covenant
Juste Gandolphi Dark Elf Templar Daggerfall Covenant
Richter Gandolphi - Dark Elf Dragonknight Daggerfall Covenant
Mathias Gandolphi - Breton Nightblade Daggerfall Covenant
RinaldoGandolphi - High Elf Sorcerer Aldmeri Dominion
Officer Fire and Ice
Co-GM - MVP

Sorcerer's - The ONLY class in the game that is punished for using its class defining skill (Bolt Escape)

"Here in his shrine, that they have forgotten. Here do we toil, that we might remember. By night we reclaim, what by day was stolen. Far from ourselves, he grows ever near to us. Our eyes once were blinded, now through him do we see. Our hands once were idle, now through them does he speak. And when the world shall listen, and when the world shall see, and when the world remembers, that world will cease to be. - Miraak

• dharbert
    dharbert
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'll say the same thing I have in other threads on this subject. Zenimax either can't (for whatever reason) do a proper incremental patch and update only affected files, or they simply lack the ability and know-how to do it.
  • ers101284b14_ESO
    ers101284b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Mine was only 6 gigs but yeah its quite a bit. Glad I bought a 2 terabyte hard drive.
  • infraction2008b16_ESO
    infraction2008b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    They're amateurs at best.

I've just cancelled my sub due to this, I'm not going to sit and waste my paying days downloading 12 GB of nothing much.
  • SoulScream
    SoulScream
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree! 12 gig is taking the entire day to download for me.
  • clayandaudrey_ESO
    clayandaudrey_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Especially sucks on dial-up
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I've just cancelled my sub due to this, I'm not going to sit and waste my paying days downloading 12 GB of nothing much.

seriously? because to be honest this is not outside the norm in the mmo's ive played. there was allways seemingly long waits or large patches from time to time.
    this isnt totaly out of whack with the norm in mmo's. infact i would say eso is better in many many ways and tbh the best mmo on the market.
  • lecarcajou_ESO
    lecarcajou_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    The problem is that... the patches—they do nuthink!
    Edited by lecarcajou_ESO on November 24, 2014 7:14PM
    "Morally Decentralized."
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Stop insulting amateurs !!!
    Amateurs care...
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • flotsam
    flotsam
    ✭✭
    Mine downloaded a 6 GB 59to60 patch and is now downloading a 6 GB 61to62 patch. Guess I'll just wait it out.
  • Nylan
    Nylan
    ✭✭
    go outside
  • Pmarsico9
    Pmarsico9
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's ridiculous how long downloads take. Even after going through all their diagnosis, other games have nowhere near as long to download.
  • HomerSamson
    HomerSamson
    ✭✭✭
    The launcher said 90% after it d/l'd and installed the first 6GB. Closed the launcher and ran ESO.exe and it had the proper version 1.5.6 and let me in game.
  • Slurg
    Slurg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I look forward to getting home from work and seeing if my computer took the patch or if it crashed because I wasn't there to watch it. Then I look forward to enjoying all the new combat noises the patch unintentionally introduced instead of taking away as announced in another thread.

Then I will look forward to doing the exact same thing next week when they fix the audio again.
    Happy All the Holidays To You and Yours!
    Remembering better days of less RNG in all the things.
  • Sighlynce
    Sighlynce
    ✭✭✭
    12 gbs for a patch... seriously :s . I mean dang how big is the Justice system 'patch' gonna be?? My entire months gb allowance is 10 per month (satellite) and 19.99 per gb after that. This is kinda insane :( . Good thing my new sat. co gives free downloads from midnight till 5am.
    Edited by Sighlynce on November 24, 2014 7:37PM
    "What is better - to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?" - Paarthurnax
  • SoulScream
    SoulScream
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would go outside but it's a freezing snow rain here. A good day for playing some game. Really wish I could get faster internet. About four hours still left for me on the download.
  • smacx250
    smacx250
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it is likely it is a 3rd party patching system (and probably used by other game vendors as well). From the launcher (which does the patching):

Copyright (C) Solid State Networks

http://www.solidstatenetworks.com

• elausche_ESO
    elausche_ESO
    ✭✭✭

seriously? because to be honest this is not outside the norm in the mmo's ive played. there was allways seemingly long waits or large patches from time to time.
    this isnt totaly out of whack with the norm in mmo's. infact i would say eso is better in many many ways and tbh the best mmo on the market.

I call BS on this. Most game patches take 1-2 minutes at most and only the major version changes ever break 1gb in download size. Every single patch for ESO is 6GB or larger, even small fixes like this one.

Zenimax needed to come up with a proper patch solution 7 months ago.
  • Ilmarthethief
    Ilmarthethief
    ✭✭✭
    Don't you think there is some more content in this patch? Parts of Imperial City for instance?
    No patches - bad, there are patches - very bad. People, stop whining!
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=YersIyzsOpc

• Mettaricana
    Mettaricana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    i'd complain but they deleted my comments last time....
  • Robocles
    Robocles
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Name one MMO with regular multi gigabyte patches?

Seriously.. I've played most of them, and, none have ever been like this.

So, give us some examples.
  • Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    My internet bill this month is going to be doubled just due to the download traffic for updates and patches.

Would have preferred to wait a week for a patch this size.

C'est la vie.
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- the 14th Dalai Lama
    Wisdom is doing Now that which benefits you later.
  • someuser
    someuser
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, ZoS, this is really sub par customer service.

I don't like the 12+gb major patch days, but I deal with it cause we are getting substantial content (albeit buggy and requiring multiple additional patches to get it working as intended only to start all over, as once you finally get it right, its time for a whole 'nother major patch and corresponding bugs...)

But 12gbs for the insignificant changes that offer NO substantial content???

Very unhappy customer here.
    To make ESO look and feel like a PC MMO check out the following:

PhinixUI addon-powered interface for ESO
  • Draxys
    Draxys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    yea this is abnormal, going on 2 hours patch for me and it still says downloading 5 more gigs.... I wouldn't have a problem with it if the patches actually fixed lots of the things that need it

rip decibel
  • Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    someuser wrote: »
    But 12gbs for the insignificant changes that offer NO substantial content???

Very unhappy customer here.

After reading the patch notes, am rather confused as to why the patch is so large.

@ZOS_JessicaFolsom or @ZOS_GinaBruno or anyone else, could we get some light shone on whether the patches are supposed to be this large due to content, or if there is some issue with the launcher?
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- the 14th Dalai Lama
    Wisdom is doing Now that which benefits you later.
  • Buck
    Buck
    ✭✭✭
    Seriously how does a "patch" get this big? Skyrim = 7GB lol did we just get an expansion?
  • Silver-Sabre
    Silver-Sabre
    ✭✭✭
    Got home from work only to realize I won't be playing for a long long time..!! Disappointed .. Rather play a slightly broken game than having to download the equivalent of all of NASA's files .. Unreal!!
  • Morticide828
    Morticide828
    ✭✭✭
    As you can see by it chasing its tail - the patch team is now confirmed for playing snake instead of any QA.

3vCHW5x.jpg
    Morticide Baen'ath - Dragonknight ●

● The Eight Divines ●

● NA ● AD ● DUNMER ●
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's fixing what was mentioned, plus updating every boss, etc.

Given the success of 1.5.3, they probably figure it's safer to download the bulk of the data files rather than a bit here and a bit there.

At least that way, they know what they are working with (it's not a partial image), and hopefully they tested before deployment.

Imperial City might be getting snuck in there in the background, too...or non-PTS testing that we won't see.

I'll get the vegetables thrown at me and say maybe this will be a good thing.

It's gotta change somewhere in there, right...by the sheer random factor, if nothing else.

After all, broken watch is right twice a day...
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • andrewsleonrwb17_ESO
    It might be 6, it might be 12, we never know until it's over. This is just ridiculous. I'm sorry Zenimax, I like the game but there are others I want to play that don't kill my internet allowance. Gonna have to unsub for now.
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Hey guys,

While you will need to download 12GB for today’s patch, the exceptionally large size was unintentional and is not typical for an incremental patch. While preparing for today’s maintenance, we needed a second build internally to fix an issue we encountered. Unfortunately, this means you are actually downloading both builds which is required for today’s patch to run. In the meantime, we do have a couple workarounds that you can try that may be faster and not as large:
    1. Cancel the patch and run a repair instead, or…
    2. Delete the folder titled “vo_en” and restart the launcher.
    We apologize for the inconvenience that this is causing, and will do everything we can to ensure it won’t happen again in the future.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.