Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Green Pact Question

Zakq
Zakq
Obviously picking flowers or herbs for alchemy isn't allowed, but do you think woodcutting in valenwood violates the green pact?
Since you are harvesting from dead fallen wood, you are not really hurting the forest?
  • Cinna
    Cinna
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, picking already fallen plant parts seems to be all right, even if frowned upon by the most faithful. There was some bosmer alchemist who complained how they did not get potent enough potions from using dead flowers. So even alchemy is practiced but not to its full potency. Then again "no one makes bows like the bosmer" so woodworking indeed is a prominent profession amongst them. I guess the key is that it's the already fallen branches that get used.
  • starstruck
    starstruck
    ✭✭
    I thought their bows were made out of bones?
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    starstruck wrote: »

I think it's more the Dunmer who work with bone.
    Zakq wrote: »
    Obviously picking flowers or herbs for alchemy isn't allowed, but do you think woodcutting in valenwood violates the green pact?
    Since you are harvesting from dead fallen wood, you are not really hurting the forest?
    As @Cinna said, the green pact allows Bosmer to use dead plants, they just can't harvest plants for their own use. In fact in Grahtwood one side mission is investigating a violation of the Green pact, where a sacred flower was picked.

But dead wood can be used for bows and construction, even if frowned upon.
    Dead plants can be used for alchemy, in fact each community has a Spinner (alchemist) who does exactly this.
    Dead plants can also be used for cooking, but this is extremely frowned upon, although some do it.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • AreoHotah
    AreoHotah
    ✭✭✭✭
    This one just yesterday felt the need to take a leak on a huge tree in the middle of Grathwood while passing through.
    Then this one today in the forest noticed is out of "material" and had to pick a flower to blow this one's nose. This ones nose is very wet lately... A small creature with pointy ears was looking towards this one with a menacing look but this one just typed /sitchair, lighten up some skooma and waiting for the dolmen to spawn...
    Hota'h, Dual-wield/bow full medium armor NB Khajiit from day 1.

https://imageshack.com/i/p2rF313Qj/b]
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, I don't think harvesting dead plants violates the Pact. As for bows: Common Arms of Valenwood. Give it a read.
  • Skjlvald
    Skjlvald
    ✭✭✭
    As long as you eat those fallen in battle you should be good. (You nasty bastage) :D
    Ulyn Andrano

VR3 Dark Elf Dragonknight

Ebonheart Pact
  • AreoHotah
    AreoHotah
    ✭✭✭✭
    AreoHotah wrote: »
    This one just yesterday felt the need to take a leak on a huge tree in the middle of Grathwood while passing through.
    Then this one today in the forest noticed is out of "material" and had to pick a flower to blow this one's nose. This ones nose is very wet lately... A small creature with pointy ears was looking towards this one with a menacing look but this one just typed /sitchair, lighten up some skooma and waiting for the dolmen to spawn...

Morale : Who cares about some plants that will spawn back in 5 mins???
    Edited by AreoHotah on June 24, 2014 3:08PM
    Hota'h, Dual-wield/bow full medium armor NB Khajiit from day 1.

https://imageshack.com/i/p2rF313Qj/b]
  • mlecho74
    mlecho74
    Zakq wrote: »

According to one of the load screens, woodcutting a living tree violates the Pact. The Bosmer rely on the Wood Orcs to provide ore and lumber.

• Dekkameron
    Dekkameron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When there are massive trees everywhere there is bound to be a poop ton of wood laying on the ground that is fair game. but Bosmer i think don't like to test their luck with the Green Pact as well as potentially insulting other Bosmer by waving around their wooden weapons, thus they use SUPERIOR horn/composite bows with bone arrows.
    - Veteran Combat Librarian -
  • Dekkameron
    Dekkameron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just had a thought....

I wonder if there is a market for "pretend vegetable products" for Bosmer? I mean like the opposite to what we have IRL. Stuff like things that look like carrots, but are made out of Khajiit.. Or... Lettuce flavoured pork scratchings..

*ponders*
    - Veteran Combat Librarian -
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bosmer are allowed to take any plant material that has naturally fallen from the stem and is no longer 'alive' or growing.

Since woodworking uses logs on the ground that are no longer growing, it doesnt violate the pact. However, picking flowers for clothing light armor materials would violate the pact.

No, bosmer create almost all of their weapons and armor out of hide and bone. They have something called "the law of meat, hide, and bone" which requires using everything from a kill.

Dunmer use insect carapaces from the giant bugs that live in the ashlands and surrounding areas.

I suppose it would be possible to make a bow out of bone, though it'd be pretty difficult. The bone would have to be softened and worked into strips that could be laminated together to give the proper flex and tension.

That all said, not all bosmer follow the green pact to a key. The vinedusk rangers will adhere to the pact when in bosmer territory in valenwood, but they wont hesitate to cut down trees or burn them to the ground if they have to in order to win a battle. This is explained in quests for reaper's march, and one specific quote is "If the enemy figured out all they had to do was plant trees around their forts to keep us from attacking, there would be no war in cyrodiil right now." The same bosmer goes on to say that destroying trees and violating the pact in order to win a war is a necessary sacrafice and they do it without regret.
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lynx7386 wrote: »

No, bosmer create almost all of their weapons and armor out of hide and bone. They have something called "the law of meat, hide, and bone" which requires using everything from a kill.

Dunmer use insect carapaces from the giant bugs that live in the ashlands and surrounding areas.

I suppose it would be possible to make a bow out of bone, though it'd be pretty difficult. The bone would have to be softened and worked into strips that could be laminated together to give the proper flex and tension.

Dunmer do work the carapaces of Giant insects true, but they also do Bone Mold Armour, which is made from bone. It's treated and reconstituted bone, but Bone nevertheless.

But I will accept that Bosmer also work bone too.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • milesrodneymcneely2_ESO
    milesrodneymcneely2_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having just finished Malabal Tor via Cadwell's Gold, I was wondering something similar.

What about plants that produce fruits that fall naturally? It's perfectly natural for animals to eat these fruity products (and spread the seeds), so why not the Bosmer?

Seems like Y'ffre's chosen could benefit from a little fiber in the diet, particularly when no plants are harmed.

Thoughts?

• PKMN12
    PKMN12
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    starstruck wrote: »

I think it's more the Dunmer who work with bone.\

nope, Dunmer RARELY do actually, they work with ebony and shells off animals, even bonemold armor is actually just shell and not made from bones.

Bosmer work pretty much SOLEY with bone in their home province.

as for the thread as a whole. All but the most staunch members of the pact are perfectly fine with using anything outside Valenwood. IT is ONLY Valenwood plants and produce that are prohibited.

Actually, in a load screen or race info thign somewhere (forgot where) it says one of a traveling bosmers favorite thing to bring home are wooden stuff, like bowls and baskets, and chairs.
  • k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My understanding any type of picking of live or dead wood, flowers, etc is against the Green Pack. To get around that rule, Bosmer import a lot of planets and wood outside their home land.
    Edited by k9mouse on May 31, 2015 8:47PM
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the purpose of the Green Pact is to preserve the forest as a whole then they should really avoid taking even dead wood and plant material (especially large stands of dead wood, like fallen trees) if at all possible.

But then the importance of dead and decaying material to a forest ecosystem has only recently started to be properly understood in real life (and I may be jumping the gun by saying that anyone really understands it now). There's still a lot of people who think removing all dead and even dying trees is good woodland management.

So it wouldn't surprise me at all if the bosmer considered it ok.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Swifigames
    Swifigames
    ✭✭✭
    I am very much involved with the Bosmer race, from Oblivion to Skyrim and now The Elder Scrolls Online...falling more and more in love with the role-play culture in Tamriel. My main character is Wood Elf and I will always pick them first on any Elder Scroll game.
    I found Lynx7386's posted reply very insightful and it gives me hope that I can still Role-Play my Bosmer effectively. I want my Bosmer to be able to craft all manner of weapons, armor, and provisioning.

So all I really needed to know is what is completely off limits for use in crafting. Stay away from Alchemy and Light Armor only? I'll need to create an Alchemist Sorc then...?

I love ESO, btw. Wonderful game.
    "We don't want other worlds, we want mirrors." - Gibarian
    --
    Nightblade (Bosmer) - Kremlok
    Templar (Khajiit) - Drops-the-Ball
    Templar (Altmer) - Lyranil of Alinor
    Necromancer (Altmer) - Kalomyr
    Sorcerer (Dunmer) - Lord Eldruin
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭