The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Past MMOs - a trip down memory lane

• lycanslerwb17_ESO
    lycanslerwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone play the ill fated Turf Battles. They are trying to bring it back.
  • madtragg
    madtragg
    Soul Shriven
    Uncharted Waters Online was my favortie game for 2 years. Then i moved to SWTOR for 8 months. Then i just mmo hopped till ESO came out.
  • Makkir
    Makkir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't like the endless spiral MMOs where you constantly have to upgrade to newer and better gear. I like games with a decent player established economy (meaning players make the best gear/items) with a good focus on PvP. For these reasons, Star Wars Galaxies (Pre-NGE) was my favorite MMO. The character customization back then was fabulous, player housing, vendor system, and the crafting system was amazing. People stood out among others. Introduction of the OP Jedi class ruined the game in my opinion, along with the NGE. I didn't mind the combat upgrade (CU), but the NGE was the last straw.

EQ- Great Game. Cant play anymore since I am spoiled on current games' graphics.
    EQ2- Lousy, cool graphics but was boring as hell
    Eve- Cool but I didn't have the time to invest, I wasn't a fan about the training system and not a huge fan of space MMOs to begin with
    World of WarCraft- Still the best well rounded MMO in existence. It's easy to start and jump right into current content. I still play since I have a lot of progress invested on my toon, but the game is balanced around raiding and group composition style PvP. I like the open world PvP availability, and I like being able to jump on and play battleground or two when time is limited. And it plays very very smoothly.
    Lord of the Rings Online- Very boring
    Vanguard- Was too buggy, none of my gamer pals were playing and I quickly lost interest.
    Star Wars TOR - Was too guided for me. I wasn't free to do as I pleased. Very theme-parkish. BUT, I LOVED HUTTBALL!!!!! Some cool original ideas in this game, and I would continue to keep a subscription if it had a bigger player base and if I didn't have active subs for 5 other games as well :)
    Warhammer Online- Played all of Beta and 2 weeks after launch. Boring. Wasn't too fond of the pvp
    Age of Conan- Loved this game, but I did not make it to end game content. I did the T1 content and a few sieges (comparable to TESO's massive PvP). I loved the gore and finishing moves, the customization, the bewbs, etc BUT there were A LOT of buttons to push (sorta speak). Combat was pretty tough for me and learning new classes took a long time. I had to abruptly quit only because I had to spend more time in my raiding guild in WoW. Now the population seems really low (main city had a small handful last time I logged in). Very much a shame, because the genre and everything was just really cool. Reminded me of Game of Thrones :-)
    Star Trek Online - Beta, boring as hell just like the TV show.
    Guild Wars II - Nice graphics, wasn't my cup of tea.
    Neverwinter- Lost my man card somewhere in the game. Neverwillplayagain more like it. /Yawn
    Dark and Light- Game died in 07 or 08, had cool graphics at the time, some interesting concepts around PvP. Oh wells.

Don't think any others I played are worth mentioning (includes City of Heroes which I played for free after being begged to try)

Edited by Makkir on May 1, 2014 4:35AM
  • Lalai
    Lalai
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shadowbane gets my love for nostalgia reasons. It was the first MMO I played so likely a lot of rose-colored glasses stuff going on. Haven't really liked PvP in any MMOs since. WoW can also have a nod because I played it for a few years as well. Stopped during Wrath before ICC was released, but had some fun raiding prior to that with HM Ulduar and such. As long as they keep fixing issues for ESO, it'll likely be on my list of favorites for exploring and storytelling.

Aside from those I've played Ultima Online, FFXI, CoV/CoH, FFXIV:ARR, TSW, Aion, SWTOR, GW, GW2, Rift, Tera, and a whole slew of F2P MMOs that I never really played seriously including Neverwinter (probably the most known of them).
    Edited by Lalai on May 1, 2014 4:35AM
    Fisher extraordinaire!
    Send me your worms, crawlers, guts, and insect parts.
    Templar Healer
    Daggerfall Covenant, NA
  • Gisgo
    Gisgo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Played too many MMOs but its only worth to remember Daoc and FFXI.
  • drschplatt
    drschplatt
    ✭✭✭✭
    The MMOs I've enjoyed the most are:

1. DAoC - This was basically the first one I played full time and it still holds a special place in my heart. As far as being an MMO goes, it wasn't actually all that special or amazing, I just had a really good group to play with.

2. LOTRO - I really, really, really loved this game before the most recent expansion. Sadly, the past year with the horrible expansions and direction the game is heading has killed the game and it is no longer worth spending much time on. ESO coming out killed it for me, and I doubt I'll go back full time. I miss the world, the lore and the story telling. I'll really miss my kinship, LOTRO will always have the best community.

3. ESO - This is my new full time game and it's slowly growing on me (when the servers are actually up that is). I'm willing to sub for a few months to see if they can get all the bugs worked out but I wouldn't sign up for a year yet. To be honest, one thing DAoC and LOTRO had/have that ESO doesn't have yet, is the welcoming community. There's a large number of twelve year olds running around having pee pee fights in ESO and I find myself disabling chat and putting people on ignore more than I find myself wanting to join into most discussions in game.
    Edited by drschplatt on May 1, 2014 4:43AM
    Foräois - Imperial Sorcerer of Ineptitude.
    Widoch - Nord Dragon Knight of Ignorance.
    Billy Bob - Dunmer Templar of Chicken and Noodles.
    Blades of Vengeance
  • Elirienne
    Elirienne
    ✭✭✭✭
    1.) WoW - my first online game, and still the game I always go back to when I am bored with my new toy. ESO so far kept me off wow since launch, though...
    2.) Swtor - Love the story but didn't like the multiplayer aspects at all and that it went f2p. So I maxed out two full stories I think.
    3.) Rift- tried it recently and got to some 20+ levels only, nothing majorly special, but liked the rift idea and I think Dolmens are similar. Also awful store.
    4.) Diablo - not sure it counts as mmo, for me it was a but of a button masher, but was fun to play through a few times.
  • Kililin
    Kililin
    ✭✭✭✭
    tried too many mmo's

Favorites:

DAOC - all time favorite
    Star Wars Galaxies before NGE
    EVE
  • Audigy
    Audigy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This is a nice thread OP!

I have a long history with MMO´s, to name a few.

1. Ultima

The only MMO that let you loot corpses of players, so that you could rob them. Housing and crafting was lovely done, you pretty much could build a house everywhere. It also wasn't so much about quests but exploring the world. Those things improved your char, so if you cut wood you improved your skill with that. You did not have something like a level for your char, it was all about what you did ingame. Classes etc. didn't exist, you picked a race and off you go :)

You even leveled by moving around, opening doors, riding horses, fighting required something like anatomy (where to hit your enemy for most damage), blocking and not just how to use a sword...

Too complex for todays generation, but in my opinion the best MMO in history.

2. Vanilla wow

The best new age MMO in my opinion, you had a total freedom of how to spec. It was possible to play a support char, something also DAOC had (Barden). I played a support lock and raided up to Naxx. Also played a Druid, that switched from tank to heal depending on what was needed in a raid. I will never forget tanking Anub at AQ 40

Boss fights were interesting and they felt like huge adventures. Especially MC and AQ were fantastic. The idea of 40 men raids was fun, because it made raiding more a group effort and allowed to have casuals and pro´s in one team, just like specific specs for some situations like my lock which was about support, debuffing and CC.

The PvP system in the open world and in BG´s worked fine. You had real foe´s and enemys which you better avoided, sadly this all was ruined with the pvp patch and xrealm.

Sadly Blizz turned this game into a breeding ground for elitist´s. Its all about min maxing, DPS meters and achievements now. Besides that the world is dead, no faction pvp either, but its all about running the same dungeon or raid every week. I cant recommend wow for new players or casuals, but if you like to be insulted go ahead :cold_sweat:

3. DAOC

Best pvp system with 3 huge worlds to conquer, but you also could steal something to buff your faction. You also had a massive amount of classes and you didn't see someone´s class in pvp, but his race.

This meant that you had to find the healers and supporters as they were not labeled as Priest, Barden etc,

Besides the first few levels, everything happened in pvp. You could participate in battle zones while leveling up and once you were big you could fight for relics and stuff in the open world where you had to conquer towers to get access to the keep.

4. SWG

Great crafting and housing, you could buy entire buildings yourself and place them on 7 planets, but also work on player towns with airports, hospitals. You could also write a story about your char and dye every piece of equipment, I believe you had 16 slots back then :)

5. AOC

For me the game with the best soundtrack and graphics, also the idea behind the story and char design was great. You really thought you are a part of this game, wonderful realistic world, fighting system, Unfortunately the game has been bugged for many months after release and is now F2P. I will never forget that they didn't had any content for players of level 30+.

6. Warhammer

Broken game, should be a replacement for DOAC but the client was so broke, that it had to be taken down last year. It had collision detection and very interesting pvp aspect. I also liked the public quest system, where you had to fight world bosses over various quests. The first quest was small so that you could solo it, after a while the quest´s got more complex and difficult and based on your performance a reward was granted at the end.

However, if you cant play the game due its amount of bugs, lags etc. then there is no point in supporting it. Left after 3 months, never returned and now its offline anyways.

7. SWTOR

What can I say about this one? Ah right, EA decided that closing my server is cool and in the progress of this I lost all my chars and this as a pre order customer and beta tester. They also added DPS meters, cross AH etc. even though we were promised that they wouldn't.

After those lies I stopped with the game and never touched it again and its one hell of a rip off I tell you. You even need to pay money for action bars and sprinting and your chars can be deleted at any time, if EA thinks that's fun.

And many more ;)
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Selstad wrote: »
    Well now, this can't be good to see what's been done over the years :)

Runescape: My first MMO, spent countless hours on this one back before the updates. 2D sprites and could be played on every computer with Java. Had some real fun with this one.

World of Warcraft: Joined in here in 2005, played it up until this year and TESO came out. I liked Vanilla, TBC and mid way through Wrath, but Cataclysm just lost me and Mists was a complete joke. I have some hopes for Warlords but I feel WoW is just repeating itself, not really doing anything new. Might try Warlords as I've pre-purchased it but, we'll see.

Rift: I've played this some but it never really got to me. I tried it before it went P2W and after it went P2W. Rift is really a pay 2 win MMO, and stands as a clear example of how bad in-game store can be. You almost have to pay for XP potions and gear because you're never at the "end" level of that current zone and constantly enter the new zones 2-3 levels short of what is recommended. Really hated that aspect of the game.

The secret world: Loved this one, especially the quest system. Nothing short of the best quests in any MMO so far with a lot of variation. Nothing but what's expected from the company behind the best point & click adventure game (The Longest journey) out there. However I did not like the crafting system very much as it was very difficult to understand the developer's thought process of it, as well as the whole skill system. It could have been a bit better on that part, certainly.

Lord of the Rings: Online: Only tried this a couple of weeks so I'm really not at liberty to discuss it too much. Personally it didn't appeal too much to me.

Guild wars 2: I did play Guild wars as well, but only for a few weeks there too so my memory isn't too good there. Guild wars 2 however, I tried for a few months. I really like the story and combat system, I didn't however like that you were always tuned to the level of the zone you're inn. I never felt like a "grand" adventurer once I got higher in levels, and even though they tried on a "non fixed setup" in groups, it felt clunky and chaotic trying to do dungeons as everyone ran around, trying to avoid as much as they could, though, still ended up dying. All in all, a solid game, but grew dull pretty quick.

Star Wars: The old republic: Fun fact; it runs on the same engine that TESO does (HeroEngine). Anyway, I liked being a genuine EVIL sith in this game (I was bad to the core) and the fact that it showed on your character. The story was also very good, but I didn't like that it was so heavily instanced as it was. Half the time you didn't see anyone for a whole play session because you were instanced. Also, after it went P2W it went to smithereens. I logged in recently and they wanted me to pay to take my helmet off. So it was a good game when it was released but far from anything special.

Right, I would leave you all with a potato for this long post but, I ate them all for dinner so you'll just have to cope with a comically shaped banana ..... that I also ate. Sorry.

This game does not use the hero engine who told you that?
  • ZOS_TristanK
    ZOS_TristanK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi, all. We appreciate wanting reminisce and connect with other members of the community, however we request that all threads on our official forums be specifically about and related to ESO. Thank you for your understanding!
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.