The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Auction house is a must!

• lecarcajou_ESO
    lecarcajou_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, guys... somehow I have a feeling that a scant few months from now, none of this is going to matter anymore.
    "Morally Decentralized."
  • Allyah
    Allyah
    ✭✭✭
    Greydog wrote: »
    ..and what are you accomplishing by berating him rather than debating him?
    Proving without a shadow of a doubt that he is wrong by thinking he is being productive just because he is disagreeing with people in the forums. Obviously.
    Edit: And that was debating.
    Edited by Allyah on May 1, 2014 11:39PM
  • Greydog
    Greydog
    ✭✭✭✭
    Allyah wrote: »
    Proving without a shadow of a doubt that he is wrong by thinking he is being productive just because he is disagreeing with people in the forums. Obviously.

Somehow I don't believe you have achieved your goal. unless you were intending to prove it only to yourself.

"I Plan on living forever ..so far so good"
    Sanguine's Disciple

Asylum Amoebaeus ..A refuge for those who normally fly solo.
    Message me here or in game for an invite
  • Allyah
    Allyah
    ✭✭✭

Somehow I don't believe you have achieved your goal. unless you were intending to prove it only to yourself.

Whether someone makes their point successfully or not depends not only on how they say something but whether the person they are talking to is willing to listen. So in that sense, you could be right because, so far, he has failed to listen no matter how anyone has phrased what they have been saying. If you meant something else, let me know.
  • Greydog
    Greydog
    ✭✭✭✭

Whether someone makes their point successfully or not depends not only on how they say something but whether the person they are talking to is willing to listen. So in that sense, you could be right because, so far, he has failed to listen no matter how anyone has phrased what they have been saying. If you meant something else, let me know.

Well, I suppose that is a plausible response but I suspect that he listens very well to the posts he replies to. Not agreeing does not equal deafness. I see his answers as respectful and steadfast. There is no dishonor in that.

Are you not also steadfast in your view?

Sanguine's Disciple

• Allyah
    Allyah
    ✭✭✭

Well, I suppose that is a plausible response but I suspect that he listens very well to the posts he replies to. Not agreeing does not equal deafness. I see his answers as respectful and steadfast. There is no dishonor in that.

The only problem I have with him(and a lot of the people being steadfast in their views on this forum) is that they have nothing to back up what they are saying but are willing to tell everyone else that they are wrong in their views. He is one of the few guilty of doing this. It's not that I think disagreeing equals deafness. But when someone presents their opinion to me while telling me mine is wrong, I want them to give me facts to back it up and not just continue saying their opinion like it is fact (he has also done this).

You are right that having a (debatable) respectful and steadfast response is not dishonorable. It is content that is dishonorable and the unwillingness to concede that others opinions are just as valid. And yes, this I am steadfast about.
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeremy wrote: »
    Seraseth wrote: »
    In games like RL I want to do my shopping as fast as possible to get it over with and get back to the good stuff. These guild stores are like doing your grocery shopping at a flea market. Not only can you not guarantee fish for dinner, you can't even be sure entire food groups won't be missing.

For me staying with a game is a balance, amount of time spent doing things I enjoy vs amount of time spent doing things I dislike. When that ratio gets too high on the negative side, it doesn't matter how much I like the game itself, it's just not worth it.

It's like saying you can have x amount of hours doing something you love, but in return you're gonna get beaten with this stick for x amount of hours.

I love playing this game, I love the questing and the stories, exploring to find something cool, but the lack of an AH and the bank size issues is a stick. (And the two are related, since if you could nearly guarantee that this mat will be available, you don't need to hoard it)

I'm sure there are people out there that enjoy sitting in town spamming for hours to sell or buy stuff. Good for them. I'd rather take the proverbial cheese grater to my eyeballs.

Adding in a faction AH isn't going to prevent them from standing on a street corner hawking their wares and 'being social and meeting people'. But I will be able to run in, dump my stuff, and get back out to the fun part, being social and meeting people killing daedra at that anchor, or world bosses.

"I like everything but this one thing. It better change or I won't play anymore."?Find a new game or stop complaining about systems that are already in place that many people already enjoy.
    Seraseth wrote: »
    And for those worried about the state of the economy, add a check box people can click off to sell to guild only at the AH. Then you can stay inside your small safe bubble economy no matter what the rest of the game is doing.
    Economies don't work that way. Think N.Korea.

Forums are a place to talk about things you are dissatisfied with and to advocate for the changes you would like to see. So if this kind of activity bothers you, I would suggest not visiting the forums. Or at the very least, staying out of threads you do not agree with. Because coming in here and essentially telling us to like it or leave is not productive.

No game is perfect after-all, and improvements can always be made. And the economy on this game is definitely one area where a lot of us feel improvements need to happen.

And no one is suggesting they should get rid of guild stores or prevent you from being able to spam advertisements in chat. So these systems you enjoy will still be in place even if a public auction house was put in place.
    It's a little sad that you think arguing with people in a forum is productive.
    [...]It's become perfectly clear to me that the majority of the people here want what they want they way they want it and are hiding their heads in the sand when confronted with the implications of their desires.[...]
    And that is why.

Do stop assuming things about me, Jeremy, and start giving me proof that what you're saying is more than "Look at me! I have an idea!" Prove me wrong without a shadow of a doubt instead of using veiled insults to mask the fact that you really don't know what you're talking about. But you can't can you? Oh, how productive you are.
    Sandhya wrote: »
    So far I am loving the fact there is no AH with inflated pricing that has its effect on the actual prices people ask for items.

An auction house would lower prices. It wouldn't inflate them.

Wrong. .

Right ^^

A larger and more competitive market would bring prices down. It would not increase them.
    Just an example of how unproductive you really are.
    That second quote you chastised me over wasn't even something I wrote. So why are you getting so uppity at me over that? And I didn't assume anything about you. So I don't know what you are talking about.
    I never said you wrote that second quote. It was the reason why it is not productive to argue with people on a forum. Nothing gets changed. Talking with people doesn't mean you're getting **** done. Most of the time, it becomes nothing more than two sides bashing their heads against each other with no progress. As it has in this thread. Your assumption was that I was bothered by the activity in this forum and that I thought I was being productive. Neither is the case but, irregardless of what I actually was thinking, you assumed it was so.
    And discussing the need for an auction house in a thread about why we need an auction house is being productive. It is participating in a forum and exchanging ideas about the topic of the thread.

However, coming into a thread about why we need an Auction House and telling everyone to like the fact we don't have one or leave the game as you did is not being productive.
    You are essentially telling everyone else that doesn't agree with you that they are wrong. That is not productiveness, that is stubbornness. And so obviously different that it's weird that you can even mistake the two.

And, unlike you, I never claimed what I was doing was productive. Because, seemingly unlike you, I know nothing I say here will actually get anything done.
    And I don't insult people under a thin veil. If I want to insult you Allyah (which I don't by the way) I would. I don't disguise my words. So you are seeing insults where there are none. Not thinly veiled ones or otherwise :)
    Do you really think your assumption that I was bothered by something couldn't come off as an insult? I'll take your word because I can't really prove it was your intent. Nor was it the main point behind me mentioning it. So, moving on.
    Also, that quote of mine you broadcasted looked like a productive comment to me. A bit short perhaps, but it was to the point and was re-emphasizing that competitive markets bring prices down, not up. So I have no idea what your issue is with that quote. And if that is your best shot at me I think I'm pretty safe.
    That quote I "broadcasted"(<--- interesting choice of words, again, if you really are just answering someone and not intending to be insulting) read like this:
    Sandhye: I like this because of this.
    You: That's not how that works. (No factual proof)
    Sandhye: Yes it is. (No factual proof)
    You: No it isn't. And here's why you're wrong. (No factual proof)

But keep trying to convince me that you're actually accomplishing something with this. If possible, do it exactly like you have been so it just further proves my point.

So using the word 'broadcasted" means I am somehow insulting you now?

I think you are just way too touchy. ^^

Also they are making changes to the current system so perhaps what we say on these forums aren't as useless as you think. Maybe it has helped to get the ball of change rolling.
    Edited by Jeremy on May 2, 2014 12:27AM
  • Greydog
    Greydog
    ✭✭✭✭

The only problem I have with him(and a lot of the people being steadfast in their views on this forum) is that they have nothing to back up what they are saying but are willing to tell everyone else that they are wrong in their views. He is one of the few guilty of doing this. It's not that I think disagreeing equals deafness. But when someone presents their opinion to me while telling me mine is wrong, I want them to give me facts to back it up and not just continue saying their opinion like it is fact (he has also done this).

You are right that having a (debatable) respectful and steadfast response is not dishonorable. It is content that is dishonorable and the unwillingness to concede that others opinions are just as valid. And yes, this I am steadfast about.

No one person in this debate has any facts to back up their respective position. Just opinion based on personal interpretations of what they have previously experienced. If you're stating that your "opinion" is the correct one and his is not then you are just as guilty as you claim he is.

Why should he concede a point he honestly feels is correct?

Full disclosure: I agree with many of his points and no, you have not proven he is wrong to me either. (without a shadow of a doubt or otherwise)

Sanguine's Disciple

• Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Just to correct the record: but your problem with me was when I told you that your comment that we should learn to like the system we have or quit playing the game wasn't very productive.

It wasn't about me not presenting facts or telling you your opinions were wrong and mine was right.
    Edited by Jeremy on May 2, 2014 12:37AM
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok this is the last time i will post here seeing how its only the same hand full of people complaining. if you don't like it then go play another mmo. They are implementing kiosks, they don't want an AH so deal with it...jeez
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • ZOS_AlexD
    Hey guys, just a friendly reminder to keep the discussion civil and constructive.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • Allyah
    Allyah
    ✭✭✭
    So using the word 'broadcasted" means I am somehow insulting you now?

I think you are just way too touchy.
    Broadcast has negative connotations to it. That was me being picky, not touchy.
    I've already defended myself so I'm not going to do again.
    You just did with this post.
    And if you want to be offended so bad I can't stop you.
    Still not offended.
    Just don't come into a thread about why we need an auction house and tell us to like it or leave it and expect me not to say anything.
    I am free to state my opinion as you are free to state yours. And I would never expect you to not say anything.
    Because part of the reason we have this forum is to discuss changes we would like to see on the game. Not just accept everything about it or quit playing, as you suggested we should do.
    I suggested that because I'm tired of hearing posts that sound like ultimatums.

Yeah, yeah. I'm victimizing you because I'm touchy and I can't stand other people's opinions. Broken record is broken.

No one person in this debate has any facts to back up their respective position. Just opinion based on personal interpretations of what they have previously experienced. If you're stating that your "opinion" is the correct one and his is not then you are just as guilty as you claim he is.
    I've already mentioned that I'm cool with the opinions. It's the calling other people's opinions wrong without any proof that I dislike. I never claimed my opinion on the AH was the right one. I guess that means I'm not as guilty as he is.
    No one asked him to do this.
    Full disclosure: I agree with many of his points and no, you have not proven he is wrong to me either. (without a shadow of a doubt or otherwise)
    I had a feeling you did and that's fine. But try not to forget what I'm actually arguing about (and it's not his right to have an opinion).

Just to correct the record: but your problem with me was when I told you that your comment that we should learn to like not having an auction house or quit playing the game wasn't very productive.

It had nothing to do with me not presenting facts or telling you your opinions were wrong and mine was right.
    Thank you for telling me the problem I have with you but, somehow, I think I know that better than you. And I had issues with your responses to people before that. ^^
  • Allyah
    Allyah
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_AlexD wrote: »
    Hey guys, just a friendly reminder to keep the discussion civil and constructive.

Thanks I'll keep it in mind from now on. Sorry. ^^
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jircris11 wrote: »
    . if you don't like it then go play another mmo. They are implementing kiosks, they don't want an AH so deal with it...jeez

They probably didn't want kiosks either until they heard from enough unsatisfied customers that the current system needed improvements.

In any case, let's hope they don't adopt your philopshy and tell their players either like it or go play another mmo. Because that's a terrible business model.

Edited by Jeremy on May 2, 2014 12:55AM
  • ChairGraveyard
    ChairGraveyard
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »
    Hawtsauce wrote: »
    The whole agrument "prices will skyrocket , there will be price fixing", etc is just not true - this is basic economics , supply and demand. If 1000s of players all have jute listed the price will naturally begin to drop until the demand > supply.

In an MMO, it does not work. Here's why.

1, Gold farmer is sitting on millions of gold, because unlike normal players, he is(actually, hundreds of bots and sweatshop workers) grinding the game 24/7.
    2, 1000s of players all have jute listed at ~20 gold.
    3, Gold farmer buys all that jute (he has virtually unlimited gold source) and reposts it at ~400 gold.

Nothing will naturally drop - as soon as someone posts jute for less than 400 gold, the gold farmer will buy it milliseconds later(automated program) and repost it at 400 gold.

That's with global AH. Guild stores on the other hand cannot be manipulated so easily - there is no way for the gold farmer to instantly re-buy all jute anyone posted in any of the hundreds of individual guild stores.

Never seen this happen. In any MMO.

You may not have eyes then - it happens in literally every MMO with a global auction house. Period.

Global auction houses are a free pass for cheaters to game the economy and screw it up for all regular players (esp. those like GW2's AH where it's accessed via a web portal, and can be trivially automated with web scripting tools).

The fact that you're unaware of this type of manipulation does not mean it doesn't exist.

Also, it's not like it's hard to prove this. If you guys *REALLY* don't understand this type of thing, I'll be happy to go get some screenshots of the cheater AH tools out there for games like GW2 that let you cheat the AH with zero effort, and screw normal players.
    Edited by ChairGraveyard on May 2, 2014 12:48AM
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    in the end it wil be up to them, and honestly i developed the attitude after seeing the same thing in zone chat on the forums and every other forums. no ah blah blah blah. I understand why people want it but it would not serve any point in ESO. maybe a town vender but that is it..
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You misunderstood what I was saying in that other post.

I think all comments debating this issue are productive, rather I agree with them or not. As long as the contribute an opinion to consider - which mine did. As do many others.

The reason I said your post wasn't productive wasn't because I disagreed with it. It was because it tried to shut down debate by telling us just to like what we got or stop playing.
    Edited by Jeremy on May 2, 2014 12:56AM
  • Greydog
    Greydog
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is content that is dishonorable and the unwillingness to concede that others opinions are just as valid. And yes, this I am steadfast about.

Ok, I guess I could have read that better ;)

Sanguine's Disciple

• Allyah
    Allyah
    ✭✭✭

I think all comments debating this issue are productive, rather I agree with them or not. As long as the contribute an opinion to consider - which mine did. As do many others.

The reason I said your post wasn't productive wasn't because I disagreed with it. It was because it tried to shut down debate by telling us just to like what we got or stop playing.

Productive: achieving or producing a significant amount or result.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2y8Sx4B2Sk

Debating is fun, sure. But it will ultimately produce nothing.

I'll just leave with what my opinion boils down to:
    AH is not needed.
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Broadcast has negative connotations to it. That was me being picky, not touchy.

I looked up the word for you:

1.to transmit (programs) from a radio or television station.
    2.to speak, perform, sponsor, or present on a radio or television program: The president will broadcast his message on all stations tonight.
    3. to cast or scatter abroad over an area, as seed in sowing.
    4.to spread widely; disseminate: She broadcast the good news all over town.
    5. to indicate unwittingly to another (one's next action); telegraph: He broadcast his punch and the other man was able to parry it.

None of those definitions have anything negative to it.
    Edited by Jeremy on May 2, 2014 1:38AM
  • Allyah
    Allyah
    ✭✭✭
    It is content that is dishonorable and the unwillingness to concede that others opinions are just as valid. And yes, this I am steadfast about.

Ok, I guess I could have read that better ;)

Conceding that other opinions are valid = conceding that the point he feels is incorrect?
    Okay. That makes sense.
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »
    Hawtsauce wrote: »
    The whole agrument "prices will skyrocket , there will be price fixing", etc is just not true - this is basic economics , supply and demand. If 1000s of players all have jute listed the price will naturally begin to drop until the demand > supply.

In an MMO, it does not work. Here's why.

1, Gold farmer is sitting on millions of gold, because unlike normal players, he is(actually, hundreds of bots and sweatshop workers) grinding the game 24/7.
    2, 1000s of players all have jute listed at ~20 gold.
    3, Gold farmer buys all that jute (he has virtually unlimited gold source) and reposts it at ~400 gold.

Nothing will naturally drop - as soon as someone posts jute for less than 400 gold, the gold farmer will buy it milliseconds later(automated program) and repost it at 400 gold.

That's with global AH. Guild stores on the other hand cannot be manipulated so easily - there is no way for the gold farmer to instantly re-buy all jute anyone posted in any of the hundreds of individual guild stores.

Never seen this happen. In any MMO.

You may not have eyes then - it happens in literally every MMO with a global auction house. Period.

Global auction houses are a free pass for cheaters to game the economy and screw it up for all regular players (esp. those like GW2's AH where it's accessed via a web portal, and can be trivially automated with web scripting tools).

The fact that you're unaware of this type of manipulation does not mean it doesn't exist.

Also, it's not like it's hard to prove this. If you guys *REALLY* don't understand this type of thing, I'll be happy to go get some screenshots of the cheater AH tools out there for games like GW2 that let you cheat the AH with zero effort, and screw normal players.

No one is saying cheating doesn't exists. We are just saying it doesn't exists on the level you suggest because you exaggerate when you say auction houses screw the economy up for all regular players. Because they don't.

In every game I have ever played especially Guild Wars 2 the economy worked for me 100 times better than this game's economy does. The last thing it did was screw me over. And I am a regular player.

Cheaters will always exist. With or without an auction house.
    Edited by Jeremy on May 2, 2014 1:33AM
  • ChairGraveyard
    ChairGraveyard
    ✭✭✭✭
    Except the type of cheating I'm referring to is only possible and enabled via a global auction house, making your little opinion pretty moot.

Regardless, ZOS is smarter than the "I WANT IT NOW" kids, and understands that a global auction house is garbage and will just give carte blanche to cheaters to ruin the economy. Too bad, so sad, suck it up.
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Productive: achieving or producing a significant amount or result.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2y8Sx4B2Sk

Debating is fun, sure. But it will ultimately produce nothing.

I'll just leave with what my opinion boils down to:
    AH is not needed.

If you think debating on a forum is so pointless Allyah then why are you here?

Because I am not here for fun. I am here to advocate for a change I think this game desperately needs.

And they are already starting to address this game's economy and put in some changes. So I like to tell myself our efforts are not wasted, and the developers are starting to recognize this game's economy is not ok in its current state.
    Edited by Jeremy on May 2, 2014 1:40AM
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Except the type of cheating I'm referring to is only possible and enabled via a global auction house, making your little opinion pretty moot.

Regardless, ZOS is smarter than the "I WANT IT NOW" kids, and understands that a global auction house is garbage and will just give carte blanche to cheaters to ruin the economy. Too bad, so sad, suck it up.

I'm sure similar scripts could be applied to Guild Stores as well. So I don't see how my little opinion is moot.

But in any case, many successful games use auction houses. And I do not see how this would be possible if they were such garbage as you say. Because I doubt many players like to be regularly screwed over and would pay for the privilege.
    Edited by Jeremy on May 2, 2014 1:52AM
  • ChairGraveyard
    ChairGraveyard
    ✭✭✭✭

I'm sure similar scripts could be applied to Guild Stores as well.

Your certainty is amusing considering you're dead wrong.

Not surprising though, since you don't seem to be well versed on this subject at all. Or, heck, even passingly acquainted with it.
    Edited by ChairGraveyard on May 2, 2014 2:15AM
  • Nivzruo_ESO
    Nivzruo_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    The guild stores was a neat idea, but in practice they don't provide liquidity to the economy. It takes considerable effort to move product especially if you have a bulk amount of it, it's also difficult on the buying side. Auction houses are needed for a healthy economy.
    Nelgyntc- V14 NB
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sure similar scripts could be applied to Guild Stores as well.

Your certainty is amusing considering you're dead wrong.

Not surprising though, since you don't seem to be well versed on this subject at all. Or, heck, even passingly acquainted with it.

Guild Stores are not cheat proof ChairGraveyeard. A bot could infiltrate one and put a script to work there just like they could an Auction House. Might be more difficult - but it could happen.

People have a tendency to blame Auction Houses for everything. I still remember the argument when this game first came out that Auction Houses were responsible for Gold Sellers and Bots and that's why this game shouldn't have one. Well here we are, four weeks in - no Auction House and Gold Sellers and Bots everywhere.

Which brings me back to my initial point. Cheating is going to happen. With or without an auction house.

Edited by Jeremy on May 2, 2014 2:29AM
  • Vorpedagel
    Vorpedagel
    ✭✭✭
    Can I add a no vote to the auction house poll? Game doesn't need it and if you think it does, then you are bad. Simple. Just get good.
  • Makkir
    Makkir
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Except the market is not competitive. Is this really so hard to grasp? Did you really read my entire post there? Did you actually go out and check pricing elsewhere in AH's? Because I did, and what I've stated earlier is all based on actual practice. But to each his own, right.

Free markets only work well when supply and demand are balanced, and in MMO's they are NEVER balanced by the very nature of an MMO's loot tables. Everyone wants to have the rare stuff, and only few people find it. You tell me by what logic this principle would ever cause prices to decrease.

@Sandhya just give up on Jeremy. I have played the WoW AH for years. I have banked well over 1 mill gold. I know EXACTLY what AH's do to a game. He is just lazy and doesn't want to work for a buck. He probably shops grocery stores at 2am looking for expired meats for the 3.00 discount as well.

We have opportunity to get more buck for our items without an AH, I dont care if his view point is that we're "ripping" people off. If someone is willing to pay 3k for an item I have, then it's worth 3k to that person. All the AH does is promote undercutting.

This discussion has been closed.