The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Error: "Other version of the Launcher Active"

Aelthwyn
Aelthwyn
✭✭✭✭
Okay, so I'm an altaholic. I've got three regular accounts bought straight from the eso website. When Epic Games had it for free I went ahead and got another account because why not have yet more characters :D I finally got around to actually trying to play with that account and I'm having a serious issue where after logging out and closing everything, if I try to log in with the regular Bethesda launcher it claims there's another version of the launcher still active. But there is no evidence of the epic launcher active. If I open the force quit menu the launcher is not listed twice. There is not already an active version visible in the doc. I can even unplug the external drive the epic launcher and epic version of the game is on, and it still claims there is another version active. HOW? WHY?

At the moment it is impossible to play using both epic login and regular login, I can only log into the epic account, which is not acceptible. Heeeeeellllllp!
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Aelthwyn

Would you be able to post a screenshot of this error message coming up?
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Options
    Staff Post
  • Aelthwyn
    Aelthwyn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Okay so here is a screenshot of the error, but choosing force quit on the ESO launcher doesn't stop that message coming up when I try opening it again. I made sure to quit Epic Games entirely as well as the eso launcher that was showing up, before trying to open ESO the normal way, but it still gave the same error. I have found that if I quit the game, then relaunch from Epic, and then instead of clicking play simply select quit host from the drop down menu, THEN the epic version of the ESO launcher will truly quit and allow the regular Bethesda ESO launcher to open up. It's a hassle but I guess it's workable. Still seems wierd though.
    khz83fu5cchf.png

Additionally, when my external hard drive got disconnected accidentally mid game, my computer then seemed to be continuing to run ESO invisibly, as in no game windows, no icon in the doc, nothing in the task manager, but the computer's fan whirring sounded like it does Only when the game is running, and the Epic launcher showed it as 'running'. I had to restart my computer to fix that one. So I've just been ignoring the epic acount for the last few days. I tried again today and with the trick mentioned above I was able to switch between all my accounts. I can only assume if the game should quit unexpectely again while running the epic account it will have the same invisible running problem and I'll have to restart to fix that again. I really wonder how it would be running it still, so very strange.
    is5v5q3hhtiz.png
    Edited by Aelthwyn on February 12, 2024 8:37PM
    Options
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Aelthwyn

Thank you for providing these screenshots and further details regarding this launcher issue. To look into this further we recommend opening a ticket with customer support so they can look into these errors.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Options
    Staff Post