The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Accepting a new quest does not make it your active quest automatically any longer?

Veinblood1965
Veinblood1965
✭✭✭✭✭
Prior to Necrom (PS4) when I accepted a new quest it was automatically set as my active quest and appear on my main interface screen and highlighted the direction etc. After Necrom it does not. I go into my quests and manually highlight it. This is on all my toons not just my new Arcanist.

Is this by design now? A bug? Or some new options setting?

Not a big issue just a pain really.
Edited by ZOS_Phoenix on June 30, 2023 1:48AM
  • CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It is a setting that seems to have been turned off with the latest update. I forget where it's found in settings, probably Gameplay?
    Options
  • kynesgrove
    kynesgrove
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was a bug too, but it is by design.

Settings -> Interface -> Quest Tracker -> Automatic Quest Tracking.

You will need to set this for all of your characters as far as I am aware.
    Edited by kynesgrove on June 29, 2023 1:22PM
    "The shrine is breathtaking, sitting upon a rise and dominated by many standing stones carved with holy runes. The place truly seems to have been kissed by Kyne's icy breath."
    - Urig the Wanderer
    Options
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's a new setting that defaults to off where the behavior before was as if it's on. Settings, I think interface, "automatic quest tracking"
    Options
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    That's a new setting.

You can change that in options -> interface -> auto quest tracking (change this to "on"). After that it works like before patch.
    Never get between a cat and it's candy!
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. It's not that hard.
    Options
  • Veinblood1965
    Veinblood1965
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great thanks all, happy it can be changed! Happy Questing!
    Options
  • DragonRacer
    DragonRacer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I am so glad someone posted a solution to this, it was driving me NUTS and I thought it was a bug.

I'm usually pretty good about reading through the patch notes and I saw zero mention of this new setting. Did I (and others, clearly) miss it or did it accidentally get left out of the patch notes?
    PS5 NA. GM of The PTK's - a free trading guild (CP 500+). Also a werewolf, bites are free when they're available. PSN = DragonRacer13
    Options
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting how to to get rid of the new setting. I thought it was a bug too, a very annoying one.
    Options
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Also, if you don't want the quest tracker text cluttering up the top right of your UI, but you want any accepted quest to become the active one, you need to do the 3 following steps:
    - turn 'Quest Tracker' on
    - turn 'Automatic Quest Tracking' on
    - turn 'Quest Tracker' off

PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
    Options
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really don't understand why they didn't introduce the new setting with the status quo set by default and the new option detailed in the patch notes.
    Options
  • sPark101
    sPark101
    ✭✭✭
    Same here. Quests get switched around at random.
    Options
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    I really don't understand why they didn't introduce the new setting with the status quo set by default and the new option detailed in the patch notes.

Probably because most don't read patch notes, so they wanted to bring it to everyone's attention.
    Options
  • ZOS_Phoenix
    Greetings,

After review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic (Quests and Exploration, as this thread is regarding a quest setting).

Thank you for your understanding.
    Options
    Staff Post
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd prefer if you could not have it display on screen but still automatically track newly accepted quests.
    Options
  • DragonRacer
    DragonRacer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thank God I saw this thread before it got wished into the cornfield, never to be seen again.

I disagree a thread about an incredibly recent (less than a week for console, mind you!) UI/settings change that just so happens to affect how quests display and doesn’t seem to be listed in the patch notes belongs in “Quests and Exploration” rather than “General Discussion”. I’d think this subforum is more for discussing the quests themselves, likes and dislikes, quest bugs and workarounds, future quests you’d like to see, etc.

Not a game settings change half the populace assumed was a bug.

@ZOS_Kevin - that forum feedback thread you were looking at. This here thread move, I would like to submit as another prime example of “don’t think this is helpful”.
    PS5 NA. GM of The PTK's - a free trading guild (CP 500+). Also a werewolf, bites are free when they're available. PSN = DragonRacer13
    Options
  • Ragnarok0130
    Ragnarok0130
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thank God I saw this thread before it got wished into the cornfield, never to be seen again.

I disagree a thread about an incredibly recent (less than a week for console, mind you!) UI/settings change that just so happens to affect how quests display and doesn’t seem to be listed in the patch notes belongs in “Quests and Exploration” rather than “General Discussion”. I’d think this subforum is more for discussing the quests themselves, likes and dislikes, quest bugs and workarounds, future quests you’d like to see, etc.

@ZOS_Kevin - that forum feedback thread you were looking at. This here thread move, I would like to submit as another prime example of “don’t think this is helpful”.

@DragonRacer Yeah at this point this thread looks like a prime example of malicious compliance with the community's request "we didn't move it to Players helping Players...wink...wink". I can't for the life of me understand how this was considered "Quests and Exploration" when it is a UI issue unless the mods are just scanning the title and not reading the actual thread before moving it.

Moderators, the brass tacks of the community's repeated request in the thread asking you to stop moving threads to the frozen wastelands is that we don't want threads that are obviously general discussion material exiled to the fringes of the empire at all. We want them to remain in general discussion because apart from specific problem solving forum categories and the PTS forums moving a thread outside of its intended category is a death sentence for that thread.
    Options
  • Veinblood1965
    Veinblood1965
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@DragonRacer Yeah at this point this thread looks like a prime example of malicious compliance with the community's request "we didn't move it to Players helping Players...wink...wink". I can't for the life of me understand how this was considered "Quests and Exploration" when it is a UI issue unless the mods are just scanning the title and not reading the actual thread before moving it.

Moderators, the brass tacks of the community's repeated request in the thread asking you to stop moving threads to the frozen wastelands is that we don't want threads that are obviously general discussion material exiled to the fringes of the empire at all. We want them to remain in general discussion because apart from specific problem solving forum categories and the PTS forums moving a thread outside of its intended category is a death sentence for that thread.

Don't blame the mods, I wasn't sure whether this was to be under bugs, quests, or players helping players.
    Options