The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

New setting related to quest journal

SeaGtGruff
SeaGtGruff
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
When you accept a new quest, your active quest doesn't change to the new quest. I'm not sure if that's intended or not, but I didn't see any mention of it in the patch notes. On the plus side, you don't have to pull up your journal and reselect the quest that was previously your active quest. On the minus side, you might need to pull up your journal just to be sure that the new quest got added to it.
Edited by ZOS_Icy on June 11, 2023 4:31PM
I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed this and found it pretty inconvenient when quickly grabbing dailies, and needing to check that I actually picked them up.

In addition to this, the auditory cues for picking up quests seem to be missing as well. The sound it makes when picking up a quest from a quest giver to let you know you received the quest while you are still in the dialogue is gone. The sound writ boards make when receiving quests is also gone. All audio related to receiving quests is missing (I have all of my sounds including music on, nothing muted)

It all kinds of adds up to needing to double check the journal constantly, which is something I didn't have to do before.
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
    Options
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm thinking it MIGHT be a bug, since there were other changes to the Journal UI-- namely, the repeatable quests now have a blue quest pointer by them, and the names of quests are now in yellow text rather than gray(?), with the active quest in white.

Edit: In other words, I'm wondering if the auto-selecting of new quests somehow got messed up when those other changes were made.
    Edited by SeaGtGruff on June 5, 2023 3:55PM
    Options
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I definitely noticed both of these things this morning. It was quite odd not having the cues I am used to.
    Options
  • Katlefiya
    Katlefiya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wasn't this auto-selection of new quests not added only some time ago? It appears they accidently reverted the functionality back to the previous implementation.
    Options
  • AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually don't like that it automatically changes to the new quest, so I'd prefer that it not be a bug. But if it is, it is. :smile:

(maybe they can add an option for this.)
    Options
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Katlefiya wrote: »
    Wasn't this auto-selection of new quests not added only some time ago? It appears they accidently reverted the functionality back to the previous implementation.

No, as far as I can remember it's always been the case (since ESO:Morrowind, anyway) that grabbing a new quest changed your currently-active quest to the new quest.

For instance, when you went to a crafting writs bulletin board and grabbed all of the writs from it, your active quest afterward would be the last writ you'd just picked up, not whichever quest in your journal had been active before you picked up the writs.

If it was an intended change, it does have a potential plus side, because sometimes I did want my old quest to remain active. But if it isn't a bug, it will definitely take some getting used to, because I think most of the time you'd want the new quest to be your active quest, such as when you go up to a daily questgiver and accept whatever job is on offer that day, or even if you're just questing through a zone and accept a new side quest.
    Options
  • Taggund
    Taggund
    ✭✭✭✭
    Noticed this morning, and massively annoying as doing dailies I immediately open journal and use map to know where to port for the quest. Hope they fix.
    Options
  • Maddjuju
    Maddjuju
    ✭✭✭
    New setting. Go to Settings > Interface and in the first section, click On for Automatic Quest Tracking to go back to having the new quest set as active.
    Options
  • freespirit
    freespirit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Maddjuju wrote: »
    New setting. Go to Settings > Interface and in the first section, click On for Automatic Quest Tracking to go back to having the new quest set as active.

Was just about to say this! :)
    When people say to me........
    "You're going to regret that in the morning"
    I sleep until midday cos I'm a problem solver!
    Options
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you, thank you!
    Options
  • AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AzuraFan wrote: »
    I actually don't like that it automatically changes to the new quest, so I'd prefer that it not be a bug. But if it is, it is. :smile:

Ha ha looks like they did!
    Options
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I just didn't see anything mentioned in the patch notes about it, and didn't check under settings. I'm going to update the title of this thread accordingly.
    Options
  • Taggund
    Taggund
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maddjuju wrote: »

Thanks for posting. Setting changed now.
    Options
  • shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    When you accept a new quest, your active quest doesn't change to the new quest. I'm not sure if that's intended or not, but I didn't see any mention of it in the patch notes. On the plus side, you don't have to pull up your journal and reselect the quest that was previously your active quest. On the minus side, you might need to pull up your journal just to be sure that the new quest got added to it.

Noticed this too. Quite annoying and confusing. You have to manually cycle thru to find your quest. Several times I found myself following the wrong direction, and had to look for what i was supposed to be doing.
    Options
  • Monte_Cristo
    Monte_Cristo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wish settings could be set for all characters at once, not just by going through them one at a time.
    Options
  • Jestir
    Jestir
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wish settings could be set for all characters at once, not just by going through them one at a time.

There is an addon for that, just make sure to get the one that is still supported

There is also an addon for account wide keybindings if that tickles your fancy
    Edited by Jestir on June 6, 2023 1:23AM
    Options
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As people noted, this is in a new setting for Automatic Quest Tracking.

If, like me, you have the Quest Tracker off, you’ll need to reenable that to turn on the Auto Quest Tracking, then you can disable the Quest Tracker again, and it will continue to activate your most recent quest like it did before the patch.

Rejoice everyone who keeps getting the 3-Towns quest in Cyrodiil.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    Options
  • Katlefiya
    Katlefiya
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No, as far as I can remember it's always been the case (since ESO:Morrowind, anyway) that grabbing a new quest changed your currently-active quest to the new quest.

No. That change came with Summerset. From the patch notes back then: ""New quests will now be automatically tracked as they are picked up." "

Took them only 5 years to add a UI setting to let us players choose which behaviour we prefer ;-)
    Options
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, in my defense, my memories of my first year of running around Tamriel are a big, happy blur. I remember some things that were different then, such as having to do an actual quest to kick someone out of their home before I could get it for free, as well as having to figure out what kind of water a particular fishing hole was and what kind of bait to use at it. But I don't remember ever having to pull up my quest journal to select a quest that I'd just accepted.
    Options
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AzuraFan wrote: »

Exactly. The way this game throws quests at you, keeping focus on one quest is preferred.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

Options
  • Quackery
    Quackery
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is really, really, really, really annoying. I mean SERIOUSLY annoying! Taking daily quests and not having the latest one I grabbed appear is VERY annoying!
    Options
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quackery wrote: »
    This is really, really, really, really annoying. I mean SERIOUSLY annoying! Taking daily quests and not having the latest one I grabbed appear is VERY annoying!

Are you aware that you can change a new setting so it works the previous way?

While logged in on a character,

ESC, Settings, Interface, Automatic Quest Tracking, On
    Options
  • Quackery
    Quackery
    ✭✭✭✭
    Quackery wrote: »

Are you aware that you can change a new setting so it works the previous way?

While logged in on a character,

ESC, Settings, Interface, Automatic Quest Tracking, On

Ah, cool! Thank you so much for the help!
    Options
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Hi everyone! Apologies for the confusion here - just confirming as others have stated that we did add a new UI setting that allows you to automatically track a quest when you accept it, and the default is set to "Off". If you're on a quest and accept a new one, it will keep tracking the quest you were working on unless you switch this new setting to "On". The setting can be found in the Interface Settings under "Automatic Quest Tracking". We'll also retroactively add this to the U38 patch notes so it's properly documented.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Options
    Staff Post
  • acastanza_ESO
    acastanza_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hi everyone! Apologies for the confusion here - just confirming as others have stated that we did add a new UI setting that allows you to automatically track a quest when you accept it, and the default is set to "Off". If you're on a quest and accept a new one, it will keep tracking the quest you were working on unless you switch this new setting to "On". The setting can be found in the Interface Settings under "Automatic Quest Tracking". We'll also retroactively add this to the U38 patch notes so it's properly documented.

Thanks! In isolation, this is a great change, I know I'd been frustrated by my quest randomly changing just because I'd accepted a new one I'd encountered before. But I had gotten used to the old behavior and suddenly have it change was frustrating, especially when doing thigns like trying to cycle quests in Cyrodiil.

One thing I'll mention though is that having this as a child setting under the quest tracker is unfortunate. Some of us use 3rd party quest trackers and if we disable the built in one in favor of the 3rd party one, you have to first reenable the built in one, then change the automatic tracking setting, then disable the built in quest tracker, to change the setting. Considering we might want easier access to this setting, I'd suggest that it be made independent of the built-in quest tracker UI.
    Options
  • Tevalaur
    Tevalaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno It would have been a lot kinder to those of us with many characters and who have been used to the old methodology to default to the old behavior.... I'm not looking forward to logging on each and every character to change this setting to the way I'm used to it operating.

Please keep that in mind for future changes, thank you.
    Is Uncle John's band calling you? Do you daydream about Sugar Magnolias? Is your favorite sunflower a China Cat? Tired of Truckin' alone to Terrapin Station? If so, share some Space with other hippies & deadheads in the guild Sunshine Daydream! Send a message in game (PC-NA) to Kaibeth for your invitation.
    Options
  • c363b
    c363b
    ✭✭✭
    My issue probably is related but not quite the same. When I am working through a quest line, such as recruiting the Necrom companions, the active quest often switches spontaneously to some totally unrelated quest from my quest journal. Then the objective pointers start pointing toward that quest instead of the one I actually am pursuing. That may send me in the opposite direction until I notice the change. This typically happens when going from one stage of the quest to the next stage.
    Options
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    c363b wrote: »
    My issue probably is related but not quite the same. When I am working through a quest line, such as recruiting the Necrom companions, the active quest often switches spontaneously to some totally unrelated quest from my quest journal. Then the objective pointers start pointing toward that quest instead of the one I actually am pursuing. That may send me in the opposite direction until I notice the change. This typically happens when going from one stage of the quest to the next stage.

Did you change the new setting to ON, or is it still set to OFF?
    Options
  • Snamyap
    Snamyap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

No. That change came with Summerset. From the patch notes back then: ""New quests will now be automatically tracked as they are picked up." "

Took them only 5 years to add a UI setting to let us players choose which behaviour we prefer ;-)

I was annoyed when they added that, and I was annoyed when it no longer did monday. Now get of my lawn!
    Options
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

This thread has been moved to the Quests and Exploration section, as it is better suited there.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Options
    Staff Post