The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why are Elves so ugly?

AnduinTryggva
AnduinTryggva
✭✭✭✭✭
To be honest I think Elves, specifically High Elves are pretty ugly as we can create them in ESO while in the overwhelming majority of the fantasy literatures Elves are considered to be of extraordinary beauty. How did that happen?
  • AScarlato
    AScarlato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elder Scrolls Elves to me always looked pretty alien rather than beautiful. We are actually spoiled in ESO where they were made to be a bit more palatable than in other games. That said, it can take very careful angles, lighting, and clothing to make my elves look attractive even here.

Screenshotting my altmer guy must feel to me what instagram models go through to curate their accounts lol.
  • Credible_Joe
    Credible_Joe
    ✭✭✭
    It's really, really difficult to convey an alien contrast to humans and inhuman beauty at the same time.

Making them beautiful makes them look human. We see this in all the cinematic trailers where the elves are hard to spot without zooming in on their head and shoulders to show their pointed ears. Then people mostly complain that they don't look elven enough.

But at the same time, giving them elven features (larger, extremely canted eyes, mainly) makes them look alien, and then people complain that they're ugly.

I've seen artists hit the sweet spot, but usually in 2D mediums. Digital art, mainly. For some reason, people are more accepting of the features I described when it's not in 3D, even going as far as exaggerating them to the point of caricature. Extremely long, pointed ears (hylians), over-the-top anime eyes, etc.

So unless we want to shift the whole aesthetic to something closer to a cartoon or anime, the elves we have are what we've got.

And it's worth mentioning that they're getting better every release. If you compare Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, and ESO elven faces, an upward trend in quality is very apparent.
    Thank you for coming to my T E D talk
  • robwolf666
    robwolf666
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tend to agree that they're not especially attractive, however, I'm not sure how you'd get that attractiveness to be visible in a game. It's one thing using your imagination while reading a book, another to actually see it with your eyes.
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's easier to claim someone is beautiful in writing than actually make models and animations 'of extraordinary beauty'.
  • Castagere
    Castagere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All Elves in TES game have been kind of fugly.
  • amig186
    amig186
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you think they look ugly, then I wonder which race you would consider attractive. High elves in ESO look better then they ever did since the series went into 3D. I would go as far as to say that they're the race that is the least in need of a visual update. The only time they look ugly is when there is a light shining directly in their face, but that's a problem every race has.
    PC EU
  • Cheveyo
    Cheveyo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elves in Elder Scrolls have always been fugly. The only way to get pretty elves in these games is through mods.

35-31-goodtoseeyou.jpg

• Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest I think Elves, specifically High Elves are pretty ugly as we can create them in ESO while in the overwhelming majority of the fantasy literatures Elves are considered to be of extraordinary beauty. How did that happen?

It's a punishment for their lack of faith in lorkhan.
  • Mesite
    Mesite
    ✭✭✭✭
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I think my altmer nightblade's features look very angular , his ears are large, his hair short but the colour of his eyes is cool. He's the sum of all the parts. I always thought my Bretons looked good when I created them but they seemed babyish later.
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

First mistake is comparing elder scrolls to majority of fantasy literatures. Elder scrolls marches to the beat of its own drum. Elves here are not mythical aetherial highly attractive beings with some greater knowledge of the universe, as much as they may want you to think so. They are not all crafted to be conventionally attractive. Also, maybe you should take a look at what you consider to be ugly. Most elves I see look fine.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Cheveyo wrote: »
    Elves in Elder Scrolls have always been fugly. The only way to get pretty elves in these games is through mods.

35-31-goodtoseeyou.jpg

You didn't have to call out Thoronir like that :D . He's just minding his business, trying to sell his wares.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the high elves look fine. I have an altmer character and see nothing wrong with her looks. The same goes for the NPCs. I can't think of anyone who's particularly unattractive.
  • Aztrias
    Aztrias
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think Altmer(High Elves) in ESO look that ugly, but I guess beauty is in the eye of beholder.
    1fo525bpxdda.png
    0ddsfe2s7i9p.jpg

Personally I'm not that much of an elf fan in general, but I really like Elder Scrolls Elves especially the Dunmer.
    I prefer the more alien/strange looking Elves, the flawless beautiful(in human eyes) and immortal elves are boring to me.
    Welcome Moon-and-Star to this place where destiny is made

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/498360/r-i-p-pc-eu/p1
    Nerevar forget!
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is one of my latest Bosmer:

NMA4llh.png

I quite like the way she turned out.... The only elven race I have issues with is Dunmer; I just have never been able to get them to look right. *shrug* It's okay, I don't want to play them anyway - changed the ones I had to Altmer.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I may be in the minority, but I like the appearance elves have in ESO/TES.
      PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
    • cyclonus11
      cyclonus11
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      AzuraFan wrote: »
      I think the high elves look fine. I have an altmer character and see nothing wrong with her looks. The same goes for the NPCs. I can't think of anyone who's particularly unattractive.

Usually, but Camyaale in Marbruk is pushing it.

ON-npc-Camyaale.jpg
    • vsrs_au
      vsrs_au
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      This thread just demonstrates that beauty is subjective. I find the elves in ESO to be beautiful, and I'm very satisfied with the look of my ESO character. I was never completely satisfied with the characters I created for ES 3, 4 and 5.
      PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
    • Soarora
      Soarora
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      cyclonus11 wrote: »
      AzuraFan wrote: »

Usually, but Camyaale in Marbruk is pushing it.

ON-npc-Camyaale.jpg

She looks fine. Just shouldn't wear yellow lipstick.
      PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
    • Thee_Cheshire_Cat
      Thee_Cheshire_Cat
      ✭✭✭✭
      As mentioned, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What one may find unattractive, another may find the opposite.

i've seen some fugly elves in ESO, but i've also seen some i wouldn't mind chewing on for a while. Giggity.

Besides, not everyone wants to play a snowflake barbie doll 'pretty' character.

As a role-player, i like to think too, how the other races would view humans (bretons) for example... as likely being 'ugly', because their features don't look like theirs.
      Edited by Thee_Cheshire_Cat on May 23, 2023 1:57AM
      Lady Kat, from the Cheshire Cats.Interested in HEAVY RP? IC at -all- times? https://thecheshirecatseso.proboards.com/#CheshireCats_RPnow
    • emilyhyoyeon
      emilyhyoyeon
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      TES elves are beautiful (fact not opinion) and their alien look is what makes them not cringe like stereotypical elves
      IGN @ emilypumpkin
      Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian spirit minder & soul gem collector
      Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
    • opalcity
      opalcity
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Eh beauty is subjective. It depends on which fairy tales you want to believe, too.
    • FayJolyn
      FayJolyn
      ✭✭✭✭
      I kind of like that Altmer in TES games got this very pronounced cheekbone and overall pointiness going on. To me they could push the alienlike feature even more, but the sliders as they are now can pretty much go both ways you can make them look pretty ok, but also really push the Mer features.

My sorc character was my first Altmer character. She looks more conventionally pretty than Altmer pretty. The Mer look had to grow on me first. If I where to remake her today I would have tried to make her look more Mer like.

If anything I think all the mer races look pretty similar to each other. I think some extra variation in eyebrows would help a lot. most of them are just barely there and really tiny. The girls need to chill out with the tweezers imo. they all have 90's eyebrows.
      Zha'ishii - Kahjiit nightblade (main) PC-EU
    • Tessitura
      Tessitura
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Elder Scrolls elves are some of my favorite elves in fantasy. The idea of elves just being beautiful human with pointed ears isn't just old to me, it's boring and dumb. The weird eyes, strange face structures, and odd cultures make TES better then Tolkien and D&D and most other elves in settings to me.

I dislike the concept of a whole race of people being Marry Sues, and Gary Stews.TES elves are very much not that and I am here for it.
    • phaneub17_ESO
      phaneub17_ESO
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Bosmer are adorable, maybe because they're so small. The rest have too sharp angled faces like you can throw them like a javelin and land chin first.
    • NotaDaedraWorshipper
      NotaDaedraWorshipper
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      TES elves are beautiful (fact not opinion) and their alien look is what makes them not cringe like stereotypical elves

This.

Also, beauty is subjective thing, so you OP think they are ugly, while I for example think they are attractive. Although I do think altmer is the least attractive of the mer, but that's because to me they look the most human and I find mer attractive and intersting with their angular and more alien looks. I take a dunmer with features so sharp they can cut glass over some baby faced breton any day.
      [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
    • LunaFlora
      LunaFlora
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      ugly is subjective so you can only ask yourself why you think they're ugly
      miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
      "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
      🦬🦌🐰
      PlayStation and PC EU.
      LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
      LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
    • ArchangelIsraphel
      ArchangelIsraphel
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      On the contrary, I find High Elves to be the most attractive and delightful of the races, with bosmer and dunmer coming in at a close second. I find their inhuman beauty extremely compelling. When sculpted just right, they can be very beautiful with their unnerving gaze and sharp, eagle-like features.

For instance, I created my Templar with the palest, silvery-blue eyes so that his stare would be both unsettling and commanding. Even so, there is an element of gentleness and protectiveness evident in his stance, and in the way I choose to portray him, that one might not readily see at the outset. I like that about him. He's inhuman, seemingly unapproachable, otherworldly. I enjoy knowing what lies in the heart of his character while others don't.

ESO has an eldritch quality to their characters that has sadly been lost to most modern fantasy, something a bit feral, frightening and strange to most. While I do enjoy Tokien-Elves and their softer beauty, I have always found my eyes drawn to those whose features were more well defined. Scarred, even. Hardened warriors, with gazes that could melt a mortals resolve where they stand.

In short, Altmer is the most beloved of races to me. They excite my imagination, which has always been drawn to that which looks just a bit dangerous and strange.
      Legends never die
      They're written down in eternity
      But you'll never see the price it costs
      The scars collected all their lives
      When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
      Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
      Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
      Legends never die
    • McMasterx
      McMasterx
      ✭✭✭
      xHL4KDb.png

There are some edge cases, but yes, it's mostly eye of the beholder stuff.
      Pc/Na
    • TaSheen
      TaSheen
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      McMasterx wrote: »
      xHL4KDb.png

There are some edge cases, but yes, it's mostly eye of the beholder stuff.

She's gorgeous!

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
    • Lena_HJ
      Lena_HJ
      ✭✭✭
      cstde2iryzsw.png

I love how regular elves look in ESO. .. but obviously Orismer are the prettiest, no doubt!

(could be a tad greener though)
      Orc Elf == Best Elf :]