Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

[DISCUSSION] New playmodes for PvP campaign

AnduinTryggva
AnduinTryggva
✭✭✭✭✭
As of now we have several campaigns and most of the time it is one or at best two alliances with dominant player numbers with the third twindling. One reason for sure is that alliances tend to attack the weaker ones wich ends in a sort of cooperation between the two stronger alliances thus pushing players of that weaker alliance to leave servers. This is just normal competitive behavior of people so no qualms about it. But destroying the game mode.

So how to correct this?

I could think of following, maybe other players have other ideas:
- Remove alliance bind of characters entirely and put players in a randomly selected alliance to balance out numbers. I know this has a lot of drawbacks but would eliminate the issue.
- Have only two alliances compete within a campaign, the third alliance could just represent some objectives for both alliances for dailies but would only be populated by npc
- Make players queue for their alliance and place players in that campaign that needs filling up for that alliance. Proceed like this in such a way to have balanced numbers

Please this thread is here to discuss new ideas not about imposing one's view on others.
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on May 20, 2023 3:11AM
  • DrNukenstein
    DrNukenstein
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What if when you queued for cyrodil you get picked up by a big flying bus and then the bus fly's to Cyrodil.

When the bus gets to Cyrodil you can thank the bus driver and jump out and float down to Cyrodil with a parachute

Then when you land, it's a total free for all and everyone has to fight to be the last man standing. The map could fill up with instagib stuff over time to push the quarters closer.
  • AnduinTryggva
    AnduinTryggva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yawn
  • Marcus684
    Marcus684
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As of now we have several campaigns and most of the time it is one or at best two alliances with dominant player numbers with the third twindling. One reason for sure is that alliances tend to attack the weaker ones wich ends in a sort of cooperation between the two stronger alliances thus pushing players of that weaker alliance to leave servers. This is just normal competitive behavior of people so no qualms about it. But destroying the game mode.

So how to correct this?

I could think of following, maybe other players have other ideas:

- Remove alliance bind of characters entirely and put players in a randomly selected alliance to balance out numbers. I know this has a lot of drawbacks but would eliminate the issue. - The faction-locked campaign has been the overwhelming favorite ever since it was introduced, so I doubt this would be popular.

- Have only two alliances compete within a campaign, the third alliance could just represent some objectives for both alliances for dailies but would only be populated by npc - This sounds like a request for a PvE-only Cyrodiil, which has been discussed for years but never acted on

- Make players queue for their alliance and place players in that campaign that needs filling up for that alliance. Proceed like this in such a way to have balanced numbers - This might work, but players like me that like PvPing with the same group of people would probably not like it.

To combat population imbalance I think it would be more effective for ZOS to find better ways to encourage players to leave the over-populated faction and join the underdog. The current low-pop bonus system is broken and needs to be overhauled, but if properly designed and implemented it could do the trick.

I know it sucks to be on the receiving end of a faction double-team when you're under-populated, but it's usually temporary and the defensive ticks can be very nice. If you really can't tolerate it you can always head to one of the unlocked campaigns and hop to the dominant faction like most people there do.
  • chessalavakia_ESO
    chessalavakia_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could add a mercenary queue that people could use for added rewards that would assign people to a faction based on how the battle was going.

You could add Assassination quests that would put players into the PvP area with a specific target to kill on the winning faction side.

You could shift the AP rewards to incentivize going for more challenging fights and disincentivizing going for less challenging fights.

You could make Artifact weapons scale based on the number of allies around them along with faction population.

But, fundamentally I think you run into the issue that I'm not sure the players want that.

I could be mistaken but, my impression is that Open World PvP tends to draw in players that want to beat the snot out of other players. As a result, making the fights more even is going to do the opposite of what they want.

I'd argue that if you want to make better big fights, it would be better to have them as instanced content rather than Open World.
  • Janni
    Janni
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think just having some dynamic objectives would makes things interesting. Like I know lots of people hate the hammer but personally I always enjoy seeing the shakeup, especially when all 3 factions start to hunker down and turtle.

Maybe once per eval have 2 objectives spawn in 2 opposites parts of the map so that each faction has an opportunity to fight over them with each other but they can't all stack on 1 or the 3rd faction would have a free objective. If the objective is captured (maybe make it work like flags do but much slower also give a warning so that all factions definitely have time to show up and contest it) then the alliance instantly gets 25 points or something. This might need to be only triggered when pops are fairly balanced though.

I think it would help shake thing up and spread people out. It would also encourage us to fight in places we rarely ever go. Like I literally just found out today that there is a haunted graveyard in Cyrodiil. Stuff like that should be showcased!

• Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Janni wrote: »
    I think just having some dynamic objectives would makes things interesting. Like I know lots of people hate the hammer but personally I always enjoy seeing the shakeup, especially when all 3 factions start to hunker down and turtle.

Maybe once per eval have 2 objectives spawn in 2 opposites parts of the map so that each faction has an opportunity to fight over them with each other but they can't all stack on 1 or the 3rd faction would have a free objective. If the objective is captured (maybe make it work like flags do but much slower also give a warning so that all factions definitely have time to show up and contest it) then the alliance instantly gets 25 points or something. This might need to be only triggered when pops are fairly balanced though.

I think it would help shake thing up and spread people out. It would also encourage us to fight in places we rarely ever go. Like I literally just found out today that there is a haunted graveyard in Cyrodiil. Stuff like that should be showcased!

i think something like this

i also like the hammer for shaking the map up, and the elder scrolls themselves are nice objectives, but never really feel an absolute need to go after them

now if there was some item that could spawn that someone could pick up, and be similar to an elder scroll (no mounting etc) that gave some kind of AP bonus im sure people would be fighting over that

there would have to be rules on this, like it cannot be taken behind a gate so 1 faction could just camp on it, probably also some other restrictions like cant enter a keep, cant enter buildings (to help prevent a ball group from farming with it)

maybe treat it like a chaosball, the longer you hold it, the better the AP bonus for your faction, but at the same time, it has a stacking dmg + debuff on you
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic, as it discusses Campaigns.

Thank you for your understanding
    Staff Post
  • Tigor
    Tigor
    ✭✭✭
    The polemic ideas lead to confusion and disconnecting players. To play in a campaign stong leadership, knowledge and experience is also required. I play no-cp no-proc and there is already much tactic and strategy involved at prime time. To win a campaign you also need the luck to have a nightshift. So many playstyles at different moments. Choose yours.

GM - Decimation Elite - Ebonheart Pact - Ravenwatch EU/PC - aka Tigor (AR50), Leopard Tank (AR50) , Captain-Caveman (AR50), Tigors Claw (AR50), -Bud Spencer (AR38+)
  • NoxPerpetuo
    NoxPerpetuo
    ✭✭
    Forget the hammer. We need the Wabbajack in Cyrodiil, at least during PvP events.

It could randomly (and obviously temporarily) morph both friendly and enemy players into Dragons, Chickens or Cheese, each with their own special, madness inducing properties.

Dragons : extremely slow, high dps, tanky but no healing allowed, can smash buildings and eat regular players, npcs and Chickens, but not Cheese

Cheese : can move only by hopping, no dps, can be killed only by Chickens clicking to ‘peck’, but impervious to player, npc or Dragon dps

Chickens : insanely fast, low dps except vs Cheese, low tankiness vs players, npcs and Dragons

Imagine the chaos if someone brought a weapon like that to a zerg. Oh. I’m imagining it so hard right now, and shaking with insane laughter.

Everyone but me would hate that thing, wouldn’t they? lol