The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Anyone else play with the quest markers off?

StarOfElyon
StarOfElyon
✭✭✭✭✭
I finally got around to turning that feature off and I honestly enjoyed questing a lot more. I couldn't just speed through it because I had to actually look for things and people. The downside is that the quest's directions can be TOO vague. The quest will be "go to (location)" but no NPC can tell you where that location is. You have to look at your map (which can be defeating the purpose of turning the quest markers off). The NPCs should give you general directions or you should be able to ask someone, "Hey, where is (location) located?" And they can say either "I don't know" or "It's to the east of (some place) near the (some thing)". And then I can go looking for it. That would be even better for putting the RPG back in MMORPG.

But back to the question in the title? Has anyone else done this? What are your thoughts? I highly recommend it.
Edited by ZOS_Phoenix on April 22, 2023 8:51PM
  • isadoraisacat
    isadoraisacat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. I didn’t know you could turn them off in this game. Even though morrowind is my favorite game in the series and I started with Daggerfall sometimes things are placed In a Weird place even with markers you can’t always locate. In Skyrim they had a spell that helped you find those things.

Personally I’m too old now to be running in circles fumbling around I’d rather just follow the pretty little arrow to where I need to go.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paging @WiseSky - this is a perfect setup for your advertising.

@StarOfElyon I use an addon called Pin Killer which offers a middle ground, I can hide some quest markers but not all of them. It's not perfect but for example I can hide the markers above quest objectives while keeping area markers so if a quest tells me to search for something the map shows me the area to search but it's not pointing out exactly where to go, I actually get to look for them.

It takes some time to set up (and maybe some trial and error to decide what works for you) and it only works on PC of course, but it's an improvement over the default.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    Paging @WiseSky - this is a perfect setup for your advertising.

@StarOfElyon I use an addon called Pin Killer which offers a middle ground, I can hide some quest markers but not all of them. It's not perfect but for example I can hide the markers above quest objectives while keeping area markers so if a quest tells me to search for something the map shows me the area to search but it's not pointing out exactly where to go, I actually get to look for them.

It takes some time to set up (and maybe some trial and error to decide what works for you) and it only works on PC of course, but it's an improvement over the default.

I'm on Xbox until ZOS allows me to copy my characters over to PC.
  • Azphel
    Azphel
    ✭✭✭
    9 times out of 10 it's not worth the hassle.

I used PinKiller but the lack of a toggle keybind (and the game crashing when I tried to add it) made me look for alternatives. I wrote a simple addon that used SetFloatingMarkerGlobalAlpha instead of replacing marker icons and used that for about a year, but the game just isn't made for marker-free questing like Morrowind was. A quest asked me to pick flowers - NPC didn't even describe the flowers. NPC tells me the bandits are to the east - I waste time searching, toggle markers back on, the bandit camp is to the west of town. I liked when in Murkmire I got a sketch of the plant I was looking for, but I don't recall something like this being done again in later DLCs.
  • WiseSky
    WiseSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Danikat Thanks :D

Hey well, that is the exact goal of the addon project called Immersive Quests.

We are currently writing zone by zone, so not all of them are done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA8OmLh17QQ

Here are some other cool addons that are about immersion

I just read you are on Xbox... contact me there would be a way to use this addon even on console, by just reading the text... if there is a strong enough will :D

Immersive Quests Addon
    Wish to Quest without Quest Way Markers? ''Talk to the Hooded Figure'' Turns into ''Talk to the Hooded Figure, who is feeding the chickens near the southeastern gate in the city of Daggerfall in Glenumbra.'' If you Wish To write bread crumbs clues for quest for other players to experience come join the team!
    List of Immersion Addons
  • ZOS_Phoenix
    Greetings,

After review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've thought about it, but it may just be too much hassle for the uptick in immersion. I have been trying other things though, like turning off the glow indicators for enemies or lootable bodies/containers. I don't really need to know someone is hostile before they draw their weapon when I get close.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!