Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Battleground endeavour

PrimeSeptim
PrimeSeptim
✭✭✭
I'm thinking about doing this endeavour but I know for sure I'll be 100% useless. I've never stepped foot in a battleground actually but I just want the easy seals. So do you think it would be OK to go in and just hopefully fly under the radar, spam regeneration or even announce I'm only there for the endeavours and I'll leave if you want? Or should I just ignore the inevitable hate whispers I get? :D
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on April 22, 2023 3:43AM
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm thinking about doing this endeavour but I know for sure I'll be 100% useless. I've never stepped foot in a battleground actually but I just want the easy seals. So do you think it would be OK to go in and just hopefully fly under the radar, spam regeneration or even announce I'm only there for the endeavours and I'll leave if you want? Or should I just ignore the inevitable hate whispers I get? :D

Go for it! I felt the same way about Battlegrounds ever since I started playing ESO shortly after ESO:Morrowind's release. Then I played my first Battlegrounds the other day, and it was a lot more fun than I had expected. No toxic whispers (yet), despite not knowing what the heck I was doing and getting killed a lot. Just jump in and give it your best shot; you might not enjoy it, but then again you might.

PS-- I wouldn't announce that you're just there for the endeavor, as that would almost certainly invite toxic replies.
    Edited by SeaGtGruff on April 21, 2023 11:33AM
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's highly unlikely anyone will take the time to send you hate whispers, especially on PC because they'd have to stop what they're doing to type it and then they'd be causing the same 'problem' by not contributing.

I don't think you need to tell anyone why you're there or what your experience is. This isn't vet dungeons, they're short matches with random teams, no one's going to be playing with you long enough to get to know you or care about your motivations for being there.

Also Battlegrounds really aren't that difficult. Especially at the moment because they're all stuck on 'Crazy King' which is a capture-the-points game where the points you have to capture keep moving around. That means even if you're no good in combat you can help your team by looking out for when new ones appear and trying to get there first. Even if you die when other players show up you'll give your team a head start on capturing them.

I did one yesterday for the daily and weekly endeavours and even though I'm terrible at PVP (and not the best at PvE combat either) and I was dying every minute or so my team won and I got the top score within the team just by always prioritising heading towards new capture points and only fighting when I had to or there was nothing else to do. I even helped to kill a couple of people.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • karthrag_inak
    karthrag_inak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »

Go for it! I felt the same way about Battlegrounds ever since I started playing ESO shortly after ESO:Morrowind's release. Then I played my first Battlegrounds the other day, and it was a lot more fun than I had expected. No toxic whispers (yet), despite not knowing what the heck I was doing and getting killed a lot. Just jump in and give it your best shot; you might not enjoy it, but then again you might.

PS-- I wouldn't announce that you're just there for the endeavor, as that would almost certainly invite toxic replies.

Khajiit has done hundreds of battle grounds, and has only received toxic communications perhaps a handful of times (fewer than 5).
    PC-NA : 19 Khajiit and 1 Fishy-cat with fluffy delusions
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    As someone who only PvE's I did the daily BG weekly endeavour as well. Don't be scared to join PvP, it is just like dungeons... you can fail or succeed. And afterwards it starts all over again. At times it can be much fun.

Just don't AFK and ruin other players their fun, atleast try to contribute. Doing so, my teams actually managed to win 3 out of the 4 BG's I was in(call me surprised as well). Every little bit helps, even if you are the worst PvPer ever.

General PvP advice is: Stay with the team, or defend your base!

PS: After playing a fullfledged PvP MMO for years, PvP just isn't my thing anymore. (much faster than ESO's PvP)
  • PrimeSeptim
    PrimeSeptim
    ✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    It's highly unlikely anyone will take the time to send you hate whispers, especially on PC because they'd have to stop what they're doing to type it and then they'd be causing the same 'problem' by not contributing.

I don't think you need to tell anyone why you're there or what your experience is. This isn't vet dungeons, they're short matches with random teams, no one's going to be playing with you long enough to get to know you or care about your motivations for being there.

Also Battlegrounds really aren't that difficult. Especially at the moment because they're all stuck on 'Crazy King' which is a capture-the-points game where the points you have to capture keep moving around. That means even if you're no good in combat you can help your team by looking out for when new ones appear and trying to get there first. Even if you die when other players show up you'll give your team a head start on capturing them.

I did one yesterday for the daily and weekly endeavours and even though I'm terrible at PVP (and not the best at PvE combat either) and I was dying every minute or so my team won and I got the top score within the team just by always prioritising heading towards new capture points and only fighting when I had to or there was nothing else to do. I even helped to kill a couple of people.

Oh that's cool then. I just slotted some healing abilities. I'm probably overthinking it. I had the same idea with Vet dungeons. Just doing some (the ones you just need to complete it once for the skin) and hope the rest of the team can compensate for my lack of skill lol. Mechanics are easy but damage is what I struggle with. I guess you can't compare the two. I'd just rather not be a liability but if they're short (unlike dungeons) then I guess it'll be alright. :)
  • opalcity
    opalcity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMHO it's not the new/unskilled/underpowered players who make you lose, it is the players who are afk. People who afk are the worst.

If you're not very good, at least you're still doing SOMETHING and that counts for a lot. If someone is chasing you, or focusing an attack on you, they aren't bothering one of your teammates, so you're still being helpful in a way.

Just don't worry about dying, respawn asap and get right back into the fight, you'll be fine!
  • Carcamongus
    Carcamongus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BGs are too fast paced for people to have ample time to be toxic; at least that's my explanation for never having gotten hate whispers there, which amazes me a great deal. Keep in mind the match's objectives (killing over 9000 will count for little in domination if you capture no flags) and try to stick together with the group.
    Imperial DK and Necro tank. PC/NA
    "Nothing is so bad that it can't get any worse." (Brazilian saying)
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Battlegrounds can be a chaotic mess so don't worry about it. Just play the objective and have fun.
  • XSTRONG
    XSTRONG
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well its about time to go into a Battleground, worst that can happen is you get killed alot and that happens to everyone even pvpers
  • TybaltKaine
    TybaltKaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best part of Crazy King is, if you are strategic and have a fast enough character, you don't even really have to fight. Just capture a point and zoom to the next one when it pops up.

You can also fight if you want, but it really does not matter how good you are, as long as you play the objective and have fun. Be active, get your feet wet, and you may just find a new fun activity when you are short on time but want an ESO fix.
    • Tybalt Kaine Khajiit Nightblade Aldmeri Dominion
    • PC/NA
    • Guildmaster- Lucky Raven
    • Knight of Marrow - Blackfeather Academy
    • Adepti- The Witches Goblet
    • Dragon Frog - Butterscotch Dragon Frog
    • Trader- Tamriel Trade Secrets
    • "Nightblade healer huh? How does that work?"
    • "I drain the blood of our enemies and fire it into you. It's a lot less messy than it sounds, and yeah I'm basically a Vampire without the whole AGH FIRE BAD"
  • KiltMaster
    KiltMaster
    ✭✭✭✭
    As long as you're *trying* no one's going to be upset. Also if you never do BGs your MMR is going to be low and you'll be matched with people in a similar boat.

Biggest tip: Stick with your group, do the objective, don't go AFK, don't intentionally throw.
    PC/NA
    GM of "Kilts for Sale"
    Ebonheart Pact
    He/Him
  • Carcamongus
    Carcamongus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KiltMaster wrote: »
    As long as you're *trying* no one's going to be upset. Also if you never do BGs your MMR is going to be low and you'll be matched with people in a similar boat.

Biggest tip: Stick with your group, do the objective, don't go AFK, don't intentionally throw.

Apparently the game thought I was such a PvP god (despite often spending more time dead than alive) it put me alone in a 4v4v1 match. I just sat there with my crochet kit and cashed in the APs at the end.

Aberrations like that aside, BGs can be fun. Oh, and after entering the battleground, hit F5 to see the composition of the teams: it can be useful to know if a team isn't at full strength and you may occasionally see some hilarious names.
    Imperial DK and Necro tank. PC/NA
    "Nothing is so bad that it can't get any worse." (Brazilian saying)
  • Marcus684
    Marcus684
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Khajiit has done hundreds of battle grounds, and has only received toxic communications perhaps a handful of times (fewer than 5).

Don't you mean, "...a pawful of times"?
  • KiltMaster
    KiltMaster
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Carcamongus oh geez - that must've been a nightmare at first lol!
    PC/NA
    GM of "Kilts for Sale"
    Ebonheart Pact
    He/Him
  • LalMirchi
    LalMirchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me the biggest Arrow to one's knee is fear, perhaps called cowardice and the only way to conquer that is to do what one fears so one can stop being in fear, if that makes any sense.

Jump in and do or die, it's just a game and the consequences are minimal. Please don't worry about hate whispers, nobody of worth is ever gong to send a newbie those.
  • markulrich1966
    markulrich1966
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the crazy king BGs this weekend run 15 minutes.
    Just join, and run to the white flags to flip them. You might get killed 10 times, but after respawn are often even closer, and others are busy fighting each other.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just join, and run to the white flags to flip them. You might get killed 10 times, but after respawn are often even closer, and others are busy fighting each other.

All BGs last no longer than 15 minutes, but can end sooner if one team scores enough points, right? (That's a question, not a statement.)
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • markulrich1966
    markulrich1966
    ✭✭✭✭✭

All BGs last no longer than 15 minutes, but can end sooner if one team scores enough points, right? (That's a question, not a statement.)

no idea, was the first time I played BGs today, although I play since 5 years already :)
    But there is a progress bar filling up, so it might be as you say, we just never reached it in 16 matches I think (playing 4 logins, did just my weekly endeavours).
    Edited by markulrich1966 on April 22, 2023 1:42AM
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding
    Staff Post
  • PrimeSeptim
    PrimeSeptim
    ✭✭✭
    LalMirchi wrote: »
    To me the biggest Arrow to one's knee is fear, perhaps called cowardice and the only way to conquer that is to do what one fears so one can stop being in fear, if that makes any sense.

Jump in and do or die, it's just a game and the consequences are minimal. Please don't worry about hate whispers, nobody of worth is ever gong to send a newbie those.

This is exactly my problem! Not just with ESO. Not even just with video games. I'm not even sure what there is to be afraid of. Maybe it's just the unknown or that I'm leaving my comfort zone or that it's causing me discomfort and therefore ruining the fun of the game blah blah. I'm still sitting hovering my cursor over the 'Join Queue' button as we speak. :D

P.S. Thanks everyone for your responses.

EDIT: I did the four battlegrounds. Won 2/4 games. Pretty fun and chill actually. Probably because it's below 50 PvP which usually is. :)
    Edited by PrimeSeptim on April 22, 2023 6:31PM
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This Battleground weekly endeavor has reminded why PVP is so broken in this game, almost entirely due to neglect from ZOS.
  • Kitziboo
    Kitziboo
    ✭✭✭
    I was in the same boat and was going to sit this week out but on a whim, decided to give it a go yesterday and actually found it great fun. I have two mains so 8 matches and there was a little bit of waiting until I realised I could do other stuff and remain queued. I’d definitely do it again and maybe not just for an Endeavor.
  • karthrag_inak
    karthrag_inak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Marcus684 wrote: »

Don't you mean, "...a pawful of times"?

This one attempts to translate for his non-khajiit friends.
    PC-NA : 19 Khajiit and 1 Fishy-cat with fluffy delusions
  • DrNukenstein
    DrNukenstein
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No one's going to hate whisper you first for being bad, least of all people on your team unless they're bad too. Blaming your team mates is for bad players, and that goes for the vast majority of collaborative environments even outside of ESO.

If you want max impact without actually fighting or changing gear, run echoing vigor and radiating regen. Use ranged AOE CC (like bombard). Run an AOE ultimate, if it's comet you can use it from safety. Slot one or two ranged DOTs and tag any one you see with them. The remaining 6-7 slots should be used for buffs or things that will keep you alive.

Stay behind your team while they're fighting a team, but look behind you every once in a while so you don't get sandwiched. If you reposition when you spot a sandwich your team mates might follow your lead, and you will have made a big play.

The BG MMR system is mostly weighted on matches played and is per character, so if you do at least 2 of those things you'll probably contribute more to any fights than the people on your team who aren't smurfing on new toons.