The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Arcanist or Necromancer, lorewise which class is more powerful?

TX12001rwb17_ESO
TX12001rwb17_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
Not including how they function in game, Imagine you were a mage hell-bent on seeking power, from a lore perspective what class do you suppose would bestow greater power upon the user?
Edited by ZOS_Icy on April 21, 2023 10:54AM

Arcanist or Necromancer, lorewise which class is more powerful? 41 votes

Necromancer
39%
mertustamb10Ankael07Anti_VirusCameron991AztriaselocinsereghastleyOgrimTitanCardinalJackisadoraisacatWoke_TeaXanxNavothxbluerosesxdanko355 16 votes
Arcanist
60%
LauranaeAmphithoeAliyavanaCadburyNumber_51RatzkifalBenTSGSilverIce58JaimehNissowolfspartaxoxohiziumAScarlatoSiantarBardokRedSnowJestirMafiaCat115SoaroraBobargusPrincessOfThieves 25 votes
  • BenTSG
    BenTSG
    ✭✭✭✭
    Arcanist
    Oooh, good question. I'd personally say it's hard to choose, with Necromancers only getting more powerful the more life, or rather death, is around them and could probably turn their own injuries into power somehow or something, I don't know, but who knows what an Arcanist might find for power!
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
  • isadoraisacat
    isadoraisacat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Necromancer
    I’m gonna go with arcanist form the Little info I have I try not to spoil it until I can actually play it on release say. Only because it’s connection to a Daedric prince.

Edit : some how it selected necromancer for me but my vote is actually for arcanist
    Edited by isadoraisacat on April 22, 2023 2:16AM
  • Ankael07
    Ankael07
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Necromancer
    I’m gonna go with arcanist form the Little info I have I try not to spoil it until I can actually play it on release say. Only because it’s connection to a Daedric prince.

Edit : some how it selected necromancer for me but my vote is actually for arcanist

Thats exactly what would hold Arcanists from true power. Connection to Daedric Prince means you can only go as far as your master's leash allows you.

Necromancy on the other hand has virtually limitless potential as seen by Mannimarco's ascension to godhood or Ideal Master's of Soul Cairn
    If you want me to reply to your comment type @Ankael07 in it.
  • Mr_Jord_Joe
    Mr_Jord_Joe
    ✭✭✭
    Arcanist
    Arcanists without a doubt, because "knowledge is power", the arcanists had access to the lost knowledge of Hermaeus Mora, which is obviously almost infinite (just look at the amount of books he has in apocrypha), such as lost runic spells, and others from the school of alteration, destruction, restoration, illusion, and even conjuration!
  • LukosCreyden
    LukosCreyden
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hard to say. Depends in how far you push it. Some of the most powerful beings Tamriel has ever known have been Necromancers. Yet, Arcanist as a separate entity is still new to us, so we haven't much lore to really gauge its power and, specifically, how far that power can go.

A Necromancer could theoretically raise armies of undead, become a Lich and a whole host of other terrible and dangerous things. What could an Arcanist possibly accomplish? We don't know yet, as far as I am aware. Maybe we will get more info and learn about powerful Arcanists in Necrom.
    Struggling to find a new class to call home.Please send help.
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arcanist
    While necromancer has a lot of power at their disposal in terms of making armies, the arcanist has a lot of knowledge at their disposal too, assuming they can derive it freely from the Apocrypha. A necromancer could get their hands on that knowledge too if they were determined enough, but it makes sense that it would be easier for an arcanist, and for a long-term strategic plan, knowledge would give them the edge for sure.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends. If the mage is looking to create a flashy light show, then Arcanist is the best bet. Clearly, knowledge requires a flashy show or no one will notice it. This is why the Necrom chapter also includes the Telvanni. :smile:

If they want an army of former Tamrielic inhabitants, then Necromancer is the way to go. See corpse, recruit corpse. The necromancer is all business.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • BardokRedSnow
    BardokRedSnow
    ✭✭✭
    Arcanist
    I don't know if we could say this or not but Im gonna :P Miraak if he had a class would probably have been called an Arcanist. But like necromancy and most things, your mileage may vary.

Most necromancers seem to be self taught and is totally reliant on yourself or your dark master.

An arcanist though seems to have their own already inherent power greatly magnified. Lorewise a necromancer could also be an arcanist. Herma Mora's knowledge and potential power gain from that is only limited by what you come across, how much you delve into Apocrypha and deal with him, and ultimately what use he wishes to gain from you.

Miraak again as an example honestly could've gone so much further than he did but was defeated by a more powerful dragonborn (possible shezzarine), and was set up by Herma Mora to be defeated anyway. Even Mannimarco imo doesn't compare lorewise in power to either of them if we wanna go by real world so to speak examples.

Arcanist clear winner imo
  • CardinalJack
    CardinalJack
    ✭✭
    Necromancer
    I voted Necromancer simply because an Arcanist is a daedric slave and a slave only gets what their master allows them to have. Whereas with Necromancer, you are your own master and the only limits you have are the ones you choose for yourself.
  • isadoraisacat
    isadoraisacat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Necromancer
    Ankael07 wrote: »

Thats exactly what would hold Arcanists from true power. Connection to Daedric Prince means you can only go as far as your master's leash allows you.

Necromancy on the other hand has virtually limitless potential as seen by Mannimarco's ascension to godhood or Ideal Master's of Soul Cairn

I don’t know man I’m pretty sure the last dragon born can whoop a necromancers ass in fact I’m pretty sure he already beat a few of them.

Mora offers unlimited knowledge and knowledge is power.
    Edited by isadoraisacat on April 23, 2023 2:20AM
  • Ankael07
    Ankael07
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Necromancer

I don’t know man I’m pretty sure the last dragon born can whoop a necromancers ass in fact I’m pretty sure he already beat a few of them.

Mora literally killed his last ''champion'' for trying to escape Apocrypha.

If you want me to reply to your comment type @Ankael07 in it.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, technically, he hasn't done that yet. :smile:
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Because they are a dragonborn Prisoner. It has nothing to do with their small deal with Mora at the end of the game.

As for arcanist vs necromancer. Eh, that's not a simple A or B question to me. It's individual. There are powerful necromancers and weak ones. Same as there are powerful and weak followers of daedric princes.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • isadoraisacat
    isadoraisacat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Necromancer

His last champion now is the last Dragonborn now and he hasn’t killed him yet. And likely won’t.
    Edited by isadoraisacat on April 30, 2023 4:13AM
  • isadoraisacat
    isadoraisacat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Necromancer

Because they are a dragonborn Prisoner. It has nothing to do with their small deal with Mora at the end of the game.

As for arcanist vs necromancer. Eh, that's not a simple A or B question to me. It's individual. There are powerful necromancers and weak ones. Same as there are powerful and weak followers of daedric princes.

Small deal? Do you know how many power perks and black books he gave us plus his artifact ?

There is massive amounts of power in knowledge and those are just small representations of the unlimited knowledge that can be given.

A necro is just an edgelord who raises the dead lol
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Small deal? Do you know how many power perks and black books he gave us plus his artifact ?

There is massive amounts of power in knowledge and those are just small representations of the unlimited knowledge that can be given.

The dragonborn also made deals with the other princes, which are not that much different than Mora's, and those are not big deals or brought up. Not that it matter because the point is that they were The Last Dragonborn. Arcanists by default is not a "chosen one" Prisoner. The Dragonborn can't be used as comparison.

We have no arcanists to compare with yet, (at least not live). Meanwhile, there are a lot of powerful necromancers in the lore, who were not Prisoners, and they are far from just "edgelord who raises the dead". Mannimarco and Vastarie are just two, and Mannimarco is one of the most known characters in TES for eras. He's not some mere edgelord who just raises the dead. We also have the Ideal Masters, who were necromancers that made their own plane in Oblivion.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Necromancer
    An Aracanist understands power. A Necromancer wields it.
  • isadoraisacat
    isadoraisacat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Necromancer

The dragonborn also made deals with the other princes, which are not that much different than Mora's, and those are not big deals or brought up. Not that it matter because the point is that they were The Last Dragonborn. Arcanists by default is not a "chosen one" Prisoner. The Dragonborn can't be used as comparison.

We have no arcanists to compare with yet, (at least not live). Meanwhile, there are a lot of powerful necromancers in the lore, who were not Prisoners, and they are far from just "edgelord who raises the dead". Mannimarco and Vastarie are just two, and Mannimarco is one of the most known characters in TES for eras. He's not some mere edgelord who just raises the dead. We also have the Ideal Masters, who were necromancers that made their own plane in Oblivion.

You actually don’t know if canonically the last Dragonborn did everything we do in game. Most of it is so we can experience the events but through the eyes of our character (sort of like in the Witcher 3 how we can change course by making choices ). But the only prince I believe he aligned himself with was mora because those events did happen in the canon.

Nah mannimaro is definitely an edgelord lol

Meridia's Light will banish your vile undead.
    Edited by isadoraisacat on May 9, 2023 4:41AM
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You actually don’t know if canonically the last Dragonborn did everything we do in game. Most of it is so we can experience the events but through the eyes of our character (sort of like in the Witcher 3 how we can change course by making choices ). But the only prince I believe he aligned himself with was mora because those events did happen in the canon.

The main stories, including the dlc's are always considered done canonically. It's only side quests that are in the "might have been done by the protagonist or by someone else" category.
  • isadoraisacat
    isadoraisacat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Necromancer

The main stories, including the dlc's are always considered done canonically. It's only side quests that are in the "might have been done by the protagonist or by someone else" category.

The Daedric quests are side quests. And there is nothing in the canon that says the last Dragonborn was a member of the thieves guild / dark botherhood or companions at the same time.

Also you can say to many of the princes “I will
    Never serve you” in the dialog. But in the case of the end of the Dragonborn dlc you are forcefully replacing
    Miraak, and forced to serve him. (Mora)

And he already offers you powers and knowledge beyond what the other prices offer via the black books.

The last Dragonborn also freed Seranas mother form the ideal masters.

Knowledge and cunning is power over edgelord raise the dead powers. (Although vampires are just as much of edgelords ).
    Edited by isadoraisacat on May 9, 2023 5:40PM
  • Aztrias
    Aztrias
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Necromancer
    1. Sorcerer
    2. Necromancer
    3. Arcanist (glorified cultist :p )

Welcome Moon-and-Star to this place where destiny is made

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/498360/r-i-p-pc-eu/p1
    Nerevar forget!
  • isadoraisacat
    isadoraisacat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Necromancer
    Aztrias wrote: »
    1. Sorcerer
    2. Necromancer
    3. Arcanist (glorified cultist :p )

Oh yes If I had choice between a mage like Divayth “Chad” Fyr or Neloth between the other 2 choices I’d pick sorcerer.
    Edited by isadoraisacat on May 10, 2023 3:11PM