The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

eso64.exe - Bad Image bink2w64.dll

cupelix14
cupelix14
✭✭
Brand new installation of Windows 11 on a new computer, brand new installation of ESO. After the launcher opens and clicking the Play button it immediately pops an error window titled eso64.exe - Bad Image. The text is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\client\bink2w64.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error." Try reinstalling, blah blah error status 0xc7b.

• ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @cupelix14

Please make sure your anti-virus exceptions are setup properly.

Our help article below goes over what exceptions are needed in your anti-virus software.

Which exceptions do I need to add to my antivirus program and firewall?
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • cupelix14
    cupelix14
    ✭✭
    That did not have any effect.
  • cupelix14
    cupelix14
    ✭✭
    What DID work is completely turning off real-time protection in W11 Defender. I had previously excluded the whole folder to no effect. Not exactly a fix. Seems there's a problem interaction between MS Defender and ESO.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @cupelix14

Thanks for the update and letting us know you found a workaround.
    Staff Post
  • Gedalya
    Gedalya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am having the same issue since last update. I am unable to disable real time protection as the last poster suggested. The game is unplayable.
    Baskin Robbins always finds out.

Check out my ESO name generator: eso.tamriel.org
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Gedalya

Since the suggested workaround has not helped, you can get further assistance by opening a ticket with customer support.
    Staff Post
  • Jywebbs
    Jywebbs
    ✭✭
    Same problem with my client
    try to launch and crash with error window.

Already pushed a ticket on the customer support but still wainting for solutions

Only this game is full of bugs, I played and continue playing lot of game, none of these got some bugs like that, we pay for QoS every month with the Eso+ not only for crafting bag... thanks to be up to it and do same as other games.
    "Utilise à bon escient les bienfaits de la Nature. Respecte son pouvoir et crains sa colère."
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Jywebbs

Do you have your support ticket number?

If so, we can provide an update on the current status.
    Staff Post
  • rivance
    rivance
    ✭✭
    I'm also having this error since the expansion launched. Unable to launch the game. I was installed through steam, so I uninstalled there and installed the normal launcher and still have the error. I can't seem to turn real time protection off (it immediately turns itself back on for some reason).
  • rivance
    rivance
    ✭✭
    I tried adding the entire zenimax folder as an exlcusion to windows defender and no luck :(
  • rivance
    rivance
    ✭✭
    I had a windows update and a bios update for my laptop, ran both - now the game seems to launch okay. I've launched it a few times to triple check - not sure exactly what fixed it (adding the zenimax folder as an exclusion may have required a reboot, so that may have been it as well) but wanted to share.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @rivance

Thank you for posting the troubleshooting you tried that seems to have fixed this error message.
    Staff Post
  • Soris
    Soris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello, I am having the same problem since the last hotfix couple days ago and none of the sollutions above fixed it for me.
    I've done windows update but i'm not sure if there is a new bios update, my laptop is brand new. Disabling real time protection didn't help either.
    Welkynd [Templar/AD/EU]
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Soris

What model laptop are you currently running ESO on?
    Staff Post
  • Soris
    Soris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MSI Stealth 17

I just redownload the game from steam, it fixed.
    Edited by Soris on June 24, 2023 2:46AM
    Welkynd [Templar/AD/EU]
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Soris

We are glad to hear the redownload has helped fix this error!
    Staff Post