The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Need Good Advice.

FatzDomingo
FatzDomingo
Soul Shriven
I’m not new to MMOs, played WoW for about 10 years or so.
Threw in my lot with ESO Plus and so far I’m not regretting it.

Q1. It’s always the aim to get a full set of armour, and any accompanying weapons?

Q2. I have armour sets but picked up a different Green armour piece rated at say (2899 Armour - Level 50 - CP 160) against my blue set piece at (2243 Armour - Level 50 - CP 160) Is it always better to swap out the lower blue for the higher green on my character?

Q3. Should I try and refarm higher stat armour sets?

Q4. Is it the done thing to dismantle or use for research lower blue items (Level 50 - CP 140 say)

Thanks guys…
Edited by ZOS_Icy on February 5, 2023 6:06PM

Best Answers

• tokeinskyblu
    tokeinskyblu
    ✭✭✭
    Hey mate I'll try my best to answer

Don't worry about too much until you hit cp160 that is like the level cap for gear.

A1. You will end up getting multiple sets to make up your build. Generally this is done with 2x 5piece sets and a 2x piece monster set (helmet and shoulders)

If you look up builds online you can see what I mean.

A.2 not 100% on the question but you will want all your gear to be at the level cap. You can upgrade the colour of gear through the crafting stations

A.3 yeah man

A.4 I generally dismantle everything that is green and higher. Research what you can also starting with the pieces you will use the most.

There are passives in the crafting skill lines to reduce time in research and increase amount you can research

Hope this helps
    Answer ✓
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Once you get to CP160 the armor level won't get higher, and you can disassemble those items or research the traits. There is no way to turn a CP 140 item into a CP 160 item.

You only need the number of set items to get a bonus. Typically you have a body set, and then a jewelry/weapon set. Shoulders and helmet are reserved for "Monster" sets usually, and your "backbar" is typically an arena weapon (this format is not strictly adhered to).

You don't need to refarm item sets- you can if you really want the sets in higher CP, but you can also transmute (or purchase in a guild store, if it is bind on equip).

If you want to collect the full set, you can transmute pieces with traits that you have researched from other items for the lowest cost (25 transmute crystals) and disassemble them for the full 25 when you are done- if you don't have the full set you will have to pay more in transmutes to reconstruct the item, but will only ever get 25 transmutes back when you disassemble the item. You can also transmute the trait of an item for 50 transmute crystals, but you will not get those crystals refunded if you ever disassemble the item.

The quality of armor determines what you get out of it. It goes:

White - Green - Blue - Purple - Gold

Common - Uncommon - Rare - Epic - Legendary

There are also mythics, but you can only have 1 equiped to your character

Each item type has an associated upgrade material with it that is also color coded (tannin, temper, etc).

If you upgrade an item that is dropped, you the level of the armor glyph on it will scale depending on the level of the item unless a glyph is inserted.

If you craft the item, you need to insert a glyph onto the armor that is equal to the quality you want it to be (the glyph bonus does not level with the item)

You have light armor, medium armor, and heavy armor. Each have different bonuses from passives associated from their skill tree, and different base armor rating. A heavy CP 160 item will have the same armor on that body part (ex. chest, legs, etc) regardless of the set bonus. Different traits on the item can modulate the armor rating (reinforced or nirnhoned, for example).

Armor doesn't determine damage generally speaking - it is true that there are some abilities and set bonuses that increase in damage depending on your armor rating, but generally speaking you will do more damage in light and medium armor than you would in heavy armor- in PVE anyways.

Medium armor has bonuses for stamina recovery, weapon/spell damage, and critical damage

Light armor has bonuses for magicka recovery, damage resistance penetration, and critical chance

Light armor always comes with Magicka glyph inserted
    Medium armor always comes with Stamina glyph inserted
    Heavy armor always comes with Health glyph inserted

There is nothing that states you can't change the glyphs for a different bonus (a common one is to put magicka on the medium armor, or prismatic (tri-stat) on heavy armor)

You'll want to look at the skill lines associated with each armor type and study them to know what applies best to your character.
    Edited by Dr_Con on February 4, 2023 9:35PM
    Answer ✓
  • FatzDomingo
    FatzDomingo
    Soul Shriven
    Dr Con,

That was a concise and exemplary description!

Thank you.

Now I’ve a lot of dismantling, using for research to do.
    Answer ✓
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
    Answer ✓
  • FatzDomingo
    FatzDomingo
    Soul Shriven
    Thank You…
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Q1. It’s always the aim to get a full set of armour, and any accompanying weapons?

Gear sets have a maximum of 5 bonuses so any more than 5 pieces from a set is redundant. You can use 12 items (7 armour, 3 jewellery, 2 weapons - two-handed weapons count as 2) so normally you'll have 2 5-piece sets and 2 pieces from another set, often a monster helm and shoulders. Other combinations are possible, but the last set bonus is generally the best so it's rare that it's worth skipping it for a lower bonus from another set.
    Q2. I have armour sets but picked up a different Green armour piece rated at say (2899 Armour - Level 50 - CP 160) against my blue set piece at (2243 Armour - Level 50 - CP 160) Is it always better to swap out the lower blue for the higher green on my character?

Maybe. But check it's not just because it's a heavier armour weight. Medium armour always has higher armour ratings than the same quality light armour, and heavy always has a higher rating than medium, but that doesn't mean heavy armour is always the best choice for everyone. Each armour weight has different passive skills (some are always active, even if you don't put points into it) and depending on your build you might be better off with lighter armour, even if the armour rating is lower.
    Q3. Should I try and refarm higher stat armour sets?

I could be wrong about this but I think as long as it's CP160 the only way to get a better version of the same set is to get one that's a higher rarity (colour) or has a better enchantment, and both of those can be upgraded. Some sets are better than others but apart from level and rarity there's no variation within sets. The most important thing is to get stuff which works well for your build, not just bigger numbers.
    Q4. Is it the done thing to dismantle or use for research lower blue items (Level 50 - CP 140 say)

Generally yes, or you could sell them in your guild store, but then it will probably go to someone who is going to deconstruct it or use it for research.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Path
    Path
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just make a character you adore and skill them however you choose. Forget being awesome. Play how you want. I do and I like it.
    Fairy Tales Really Do Come True...Kinda.