The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Outfit styles question

Windy_Player
Windy_Player
✭✭
So I'm looking in the Styles at the Outfit station. And found Dead-Water style. Which says it comes from Daily quests in Murkmire. Then a wiki page says:
These chapters (or rarely the entire book) can be found inside Tribal Armor Crates that are rewarded for completing repeatable quests in Murkmire.
So, when I get these chapters / book, does reading them unlock the styles in my Outfit Style sheet? Or do I have to then Craft the styles in order to use them in the outfit station?
And do I have to unlock 6 styles [ armor head/shoulder/chest/waist/leg/feet ] or 18 - 6 for each weight?
Just how much work is it to unlock a style in the styles sheet to use it in the Outfit station?

Thanks

Edited by ZOS_Icy on February 5, 2023 7:34PM
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    for motifs, once you learn the motif, it unlocks the corresponding outfit style
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Cazador
    Cazador
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once you read a motif/style page it's usable account wide for outfits. Also you learn one body piece (say gloves as an example) it learns all weights. You don't need to craft them to use them.
  • Windy_Player
    Windy_Player
    ✭✭
    Super. Thanks all.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Super. Thanks all.
    Note that you can only craft the style on the character to learn it, so it recommended that the main crafter is the one who use the page.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »
    Super. Thanks all.
    Note that you can only craft the style on the character to learn it, so it recommended that the main crafter is the one who use the page.

^THIS! I have all my motifs learned on ONE crafting character. After that character learns it, I can use the outfit style on ANY of my alts.
    CP: 1950 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Sorcerer ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And you do want to have a “maincrafter” to learn all the styles. There are benefits from knowing all of a set, and others from knowing more complete sets, when getting and fulfilling master writs.
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So, when I get these chapters / book, does reading them unlock the styles in my Outfit Style sheet?
    Yes! But do not confuse outfit styles with crafting motifs. Learning a crafting motif learns that motif for crafting on that specific character, while at the same time it unlocks that same outfit style for your entire account. So crafting-wise you want to learn all motifs on one character for craftingpurposes. If you are only after the outfit styles you can learn the motifs on any character, but learning all motifs on one character prevents you from buying duplicate outfit styles you have already unlocked with another character.
    Or do I have to then Craft the styles in order to use them in the outfit station?
    No, you do not have to craft anything. You only have to learn the motif. Crafting motifs are different from outfit styles. Where crafting motifs are character unlocked and allow only that character to craft that motif, outfit styles are accountwide unlocks and allow all your characters to use those unlocked outfit styles. You just learn them at the same time.
    And do I have to unlock 6 styles [ armor head/shoulder/chest/waist/leg/feet ] or 18 - 6 for each weight?
    Motif pages unlock all weights for that specific itemslot you are learning. Hands will unlock three weights at the same time, heavy, medium, and light. But you do have to learn each itemslot separately. Learning the hands motif unlocks the hands for all weights for both crafting(character only) and outfitting(accountwide).
    Just how much work is it to unlock a style in the styles sheet to use it in the Outfit station?
    Easy, just learn the wanted motif on any character and the outfit style will be unlocked for your entire account. Having a maincrafter will prevent accidentally learning duplicates which will no longer unlock outfit styles, as you would then already have that outfit style unlocked.

-The above sounds complicated, but it comes down to: Crafting is not outfitting, even though you do unlock them both at the same time by learning motifs. Crafting is characterspecific, and outffiting is always accountwide.

PS: You could use one of the main race's crafting books to check how this all works. Learning the book allows only that character to craft in that style, while at the same time it unlocks that entire style accountwide for use in outfitting.
    Edited by Sarannah on February 2, 2023 9:34PM
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post