Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Never have the threads of fate become so twisted...

ZOS_Kevin
ZOS_Kevin
Community Manager

"Never have the threads of fate become so twisted. Two worlds hang in the balance. Come, champion. Let us preserve what threatens to unravel, like pages tossed in a roaring fire.""
Developer_Direct & ESO Global Reveal - Jan. 25 @ 3pm EST twitch.tv/bethesda"
Edited by ZOS_Kevin on January 25, 2023 7:49PM
Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
Staff Post
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup, that's the Woodland Man alright.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • BloodyStigmata
    BloodyStigmata
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spooky mist and eldritch white noise?

I have a feeling we're gonna get whipped by some slimy tentacles again.
    Owner and proprietor of the Northern Elsweyr Guar Reserve and The Hunting Grounds Guar Reserve, Tamriel's home to all things guar.
    See the embedded brochures for all information regarding our reserves, as well as our collection status!
  • metheglyn
    metheglyn
    ✭✭✭
    I'll be pretty disappointed if we have to muck about with Hermaeus Mora. He ranks only second after Sheogorath as the most irritating character I've ever encountered.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitively Innsmouth :p
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • SilverIce58
    SilverIce58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ooooh this means eldritch-looking daedra. Since memory is water, i can't wait to see what new daedra variants we get. Hopefully we get some real cool looking ones. And maybe a Herma-Mora statue for our homes too.
    PC - NA
    CP 1125
    Veric Blackwood - Breton Magsorc DC
    Xhiak-Qua'cthurus - Argonian Frost Warden EP
    Kujata-qa - Khajiit Magplar AD
    Suunleth-dar - Khajiit Stamblade AD
    Teldryn Antharys - Dunmer Flame DK EP
    Strikes-With-Venom - Argonian Poison DK EP
    Rur'san-ra - Khajiit WW Stamsorc AD
    Ilianos Solinar - Altmer Stamplar AD
    Iscah Silver-Heart - Reachman Magden DC
  • chessalavakia_ESO
    chessalavakia_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    metheglyn wrote: »
    I'll be pretty disappointed if we have to muck about with Hermaeus Mora. He ranks only second after Sheogorath as the most irritating character I've ever encountered.

Yeah, I might skip this years expansion if it looks to be mostly him and doesn't have much else of interest.

From an RP perspective, few of my characters would actually interact with him because he's creepy.

The thing is, we already have an existing quest in ESO where
    he has questionable dealings with his mortal partner and then stiffs us
    so I'm unsure of why even my characters that are a bit slow and ignored the creepy behavior would work with him either from an RP perspective as he didn't appear to exactly be "reliable".

• SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Threads of fate you say?

This is going to involve lots of yarn isn't it!

Finally a whole chapter of wool based larks and pounces!

This one is very pleased :)

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws

Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Varanis Arano: "Do I really have to ally with Hermaeus Mora to save the world?"

Hermaeus Mora: "My records show you've allied with Meridia, Clavicus Vile, Mephala, and other lesser daedra in the past."

"That was different."

"And that you also became both a werewolf and a vampire for dyes and achievements. So what's your problem?

"...fine, sign me up."
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hermaeus Mora: "My records show you've allied with Meridia, Clavicus Vile, Mephala, and other lesser daedra in the past."

"That was different."

"And that you also became both a werewolf and a vampire for dyes and achievements. So what's your problem?

"...fine, sign me up."

Oh, now I really like the idea of Hermaeus Mora breaking the 4th wall at some point. He's supposed to have access to forbidden and unknowable information, and that would be a good way to demonstrate it.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Vrienda
    Vrienda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If Hermaeus Mora winds up being another dumb Daedric Prince boss fight I'm gonna lose it. Please don't do him dirty.
    Desperate for Roleplaying servers to bring open world non-organised RP to Elder Scrolls Online. Please ZOS.
  • Lumenn
    Lumenn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Threads of fate you say?

This is going to involve lots of yarn isn't it!

Finally a whole chapter of wool based larks and pounces!

This one is very pleased :)

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws

Your charm has been missed, glad to see you back 😉
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Back to dark promotional material again! I liked the light but Hermaeus Mora was one of the Daedric Princes I wished got more spotlight since he only has one quest in ESO that I know of and it’s a public dungeon. I hope the writing quality pulls through and does him justice.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »

"That was different."

"...fine, sign me up."

Oh, now I really like the idea of Hermaeus Mora breaking the 4th wall at some point. He's supposed to have access to forbidden and unknowable information, and that would be a good way to demonstrate it.

Careful, you're getting into "why doesn't Hermaeus Mora have CHIM?" territory.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • Billium813
    Billium813
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vrienda wrote: »
    If Hermaeus Mora winds up being another dumb Daedric Prince boss fight I'm gonna lose it. Please don't do him dirty.

I seriously doubt Hermaeus Mora will be directly attacking anything. Hopefully, itll be deeper then that considering this will be the start of a multi-year story arc.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Prince of Fate who rules a realm of endless pages.

Maybe we can finally get an Oghma Infinium furnishing for our houses!

Edited by Jaraal on January 21, 2023 12:22PM
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • Finedaible
    Finedaible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I hope they handle Hermaeus Mora better than they handled Nocturnal so far, but I don't think Mora is a likely antagonist. At least I hope they don't make him the antagonist as that ploy of a Daedric Prince conquering Tamriel is staler than 8 year old bread now. Mora typically seems interested in hoarding knowledge by dealing with mortal champions even if it takes unethical means to do so.

Anyway, no matter what happens I just hope the plot is taken seriously and hopefully with more maturity this time (TESO is rated M for mature after all). Marvel-like plots with one-dimensional villains is writing fit for toddlers.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Billium813 wrote: »
    I seriously doubt Hermaeus Mora will be directly attacking anything.

Especially considering the letter (from a few days ago) seems to be adressed to the player character and a Hermaeus Mora cultist is asking us for cooperation against an unknown evil.
    Finedaible wrote: »
    Anyway, no matter what happens I just hope the plot is taken seriously and hopefully with more maturity this time (TESO is rated M for mature after all). Marvel-like plots with one-dimensional villains is writing fit for toddlers.

"Mature" doesn't say anything about the quality of writing, unfortunately. ESO is M-rated because: "Blood and Gore, Sexual Themes, Use of Alcohol, Violence".

@Syldras | PC | EU
  • Kirawolfe
    Kirawolfe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm excited!

I can't play the game properly, but I'm excited!
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soarora wrote: »
    Back to dark promotional material again! I liked the light but Hermaeus Mora was one of the Daedric Princes I wished got more spotlight since he only has one quest in ESO that I know of and it’s a public dungeon. I hope the writing quality pulls through and does him justice.

Me too. I used to wish we had more quests with him involved, but now I'm wondering if perhaps Hermaeus Mora should remain mysterious. It's hard to give any topic in ESO the kind of gravity he deserves.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soarora wrote: »

According to UESP, there's at least three - looks like one in each faction, plus the Seeker's Archive in Craglorn:

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Hermaeus_Mora

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • Lady_Galadhiel
    Lady_Galadhiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Glad this was shared on the Forum too and not only on Twitter or other social media platforms.
    Contrariwise, if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.Lewis Carroll
  • SilverIce58
    SilverIce58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finedaible wrote: »
    I hope they handle Hermaeus Mora better than they handled Nocturnal so far, but I don't think Mora is a likely antagonist. At least I hope they don't make him the antagonist as that ploy of a Daedric Prince conquering Tamriel is staler than 8 year old bread now. Mora typically seems interested in hoarding knowledge by dealing with mortal champions even if it takes unethical means to do so.

It's already going to be better than Nocturnal as Mora won't have the absolute worst character model in the game for a powerful Daedric Prince like Nocturnal does.
    PC - NA
    CP 1125
    Veric Blackwood - Breton Magsorc DC
    Xhiak-Qua'cthurus - Argonian Frost Warden EP
    Kujata-qa - Khajiit Magplar AD
    Suunleth-dar - Khajiit Stamblade AD
    Teldryn Antharys - Dunmer Flame DK EP
    Strikes-With-Venom - Argonian Poison DK EP
    Rur'san-ra - Khajiit WW Stamsorc AD
    Ilianos Solinar - Altmer Stamplar AD
    Iscah Silver-Heart - Reachman Magden DC
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad this was shared on the Forum too and not only on Twitter or other social media platforms.

Agreed. Normally stuff like this is carried to the forum by someone because they find it out on the internet somewhere, like the letters that came out. Kudos to Kevin for getting in here with this quickly.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager

Just wanted to follow up on this. We do try to filter as much to the forum as possible. Sometimes it isn't possible because of forum limitation, but most of the time, we do share stuff like this on the forum. However, we often share it in our News section.

We posted this here in the general section today as it isn't "news" by technical definition. But we're glad more ppl are seeing it.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully a Mora themed update means a buff to the useless Mora's Whispers mythic wink wink nudge nudge
  • dimensional
    dimensional
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I might skip this years expansion if it looks to be mostly him and doesn't have much else of interest.

From an RP perspective, few of my characters would actually interact with him because he's creepy.

The thing is, we already have an existing quest in ESO where
    he has questionable dealings with his mortal partner and then stiffs us
    so I'm unsure of why even my characters that are a bit slow and ignored the creepy behavior would work with him either from an RP perspective as he didn't appear to exactly be "reliable".

Speak for yourself, I absolutely love Hermaeus Mora and I would be extremely excited and happy if the new expansion involves him in any capacity.
  • roykirkb14_ESO
    ...second after Sheogorath as the most irritating character I've ever encountered.

Blasphemy. Sheogorath is best NPC.

• Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We've been discussing in discords what the two worlds could be, if it's meant in a cosmological sense, like we might visit an aedric place, or in a geographical sense, like if we might visit a new continent... Either way, the hype is real! :smile:
    Edited by Jaimeh on January 20, 2023 8:39PM
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think the "two worlds" thing means something too fancy, to be honest. Probably the most obvious thing if Hermaeus Mora calls us: Apocrypha and Nirn.

The remaining question is where on Nirn it will take place (as for sure we won't spend the whole chapter in Apocrypha). I still assume it will be some Telvanni place. Maybe not the Telvanni Peninsula but the smaller Telvanni Isles. I don't think we'll get a really big zone on Nirn if there'll also be Apocrypha maps.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syldras wrote: »
    I don't think the "two worlds" thing means something too fancy, to be honest. Probably the most obvious thing if Hermaeus Mora calls us: Apocrypha and Nirn.

The remaining question is where on Nirn it will take place (as for sure we won't spend the whole chapter in Apocrypha). I still assume it will be some Telvanni place. Maybe not the Telvanni Peninsula but the smaller Telvanni Isles. I don't think we'll get a really big zone on Nirn if there'll also be Apocrypha maps.

Could still be Solstheim, and something similar to the way they did the Skyrim/Blackreach split with the island and Apocrypha.

And interesting thought I had regarding the new feature, what if it revolved around the Black Books. They could use those here, within the potential theme, to provide skills (if we wanted skill crafting lite) or even mundus like boons that you can choose from.