The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

ESO Won't Launch in Steam

TE5LA
TE5LA
✭✭✭
This just started happening. When I try to run ESO, Steam tries to install it again. The ESO launcher does not open. The game is already installed (115 GB). I can go inside the game folder and run the game directly and it works. I have to, of course, enter my credentials. If I try to verify game files in Steam, it immediately stops and says "Zero files verified".

I can't find a launcher in the Zenimax folder. Maybe someone could tell me what the name is and where it should be.
Edited by ZOS_Icy on January 7, 2023 7:44PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It should be in the same folder...But Steam may replace it.

Although, IIRC, it is not the lack of a Launcher that is making you enter your credentials. It is not launching through Steam.

This kind of thing happens from time to time and either Steam or Zos will sort it.

In the meantime, just use the EXE, make a shortcut to the Desktop to make this easier.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Lucifer_Sam
    Lucifer_Sam
    ✭✭
    For me it's under Steam/Steamapps/Common/Zenimax Online. It'll depend on what drive you have it on.
  • TE5LA
    TE5LA
    ✭✭✭
    I think Steam saves the credentials when launching games normally. Since I'm launching the exe directly, I have to enter credentials.

I think this is Steam support. I recently bought the High Isles Collection pack but they list the cheaper High Isle Upgrade as what I purchased, but I didn't. I wrote them about it and they said they were going to "fix" it by removing my Elsweyr DLC. I don't know what removing Elsweyr has to do with High Isle, but this is what they said.

The only other change was an Nvidia driver update made tonight.
  • TE5LA
    TE5LA
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    It should be in the same folder...But Steam may replace it.

"Same" folder"? You mean the Zenimax root or the folder where the ESO exe is?

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The High Isles Collection pack may be a stand alone game, where the Upgrade is what you need. The stand alone would require a new account, or, if applied to the existing game install, it might be a more expensive way to upgrade. Although the real difference between them is more marketing than actual content.

I have been scratching my head for more than 20 years on how Bethesda/ZOS packages its upgrades.
    Edited by Nestor on January 1, 2023 4:35AM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• dragonlord500
    dragonlord500
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    this is the wrong section of the forum to post it.
    Guild master of Darkness of Sanguinaris. Birthday is December 4th.
  • TE5LA
    TE5LA
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    The High Isles Collection pack may be a stand alone game, where the Upgrade is what you need. The stand alone would require a new account, or, if applied to the existing game install, it might be a more expensive way to upgrade. Although the real difference between them is more marketing than actual content.

I have been scratching my head for more than 20 years on how Bethesda/ZOS packages its upgrades.

No, the upgrade does not come with any Chapters. The Collection has all the chapters, you just don't get the base game if you already own it. It tells you this before buying.
  • TE5LA
    TE5LA
    ✭✭✭
    I figured out how to fix this without uninstalling and downloading again.

They should really post how to do this. Looks like a common issue.
  • wilykcat
    wilykcat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have steam. I downloaded the game off of the elderscrolls online website. It luncheon justfinr
  • TE5LA
    TE5LA
    ✭✭✭
    wilykcat wrote: »
    I don't have steam. I downloaded the game off of the elderscrolls online website. It luncheon justfinr

Yeah, my lunch was fine too, but we're talking about a game.
  • wilykcat
    wilykcat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's an auto-correct mishap.
  • TE5LA
    TE5LA
    ✭✭✭
    wilykcat wrote: »
    That's an auto-correct mishap.

I know :) I call it "Auto Incorrect".
  • TE5LA
    TE5LA
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, I'm going to explain the magic fix. Why there is no official fix posted to this common issue, I don't know.

SYMPTOM

I had installed from fresh only a few weeks ago and, all of a sudden, Steam would not launch ESO. It would simply start the "Launch Anywhere" thing to try and install it again. Game was fully installed (115 GB).

SOLUTION

If this is your issue, go to your account on ESO and "Download Client" button at the right. Run this and it will at first appear that the game is going to have to download again, but it won't. Many people are running into the error that they don't have enough hard drive space to reinstall. Of course not, ESO is taking up most of it.

When you have the launcher running, follow the install prompt until it shows the installation folder. It will probably be the default non-Steam path like:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online

Change the path to your Steam ESO previous installation:

C:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Zenimax Online

... or whatever yours is.

Ignore the warning that you don't have enough hard drive space available and click "Install". The launcher should continue and begin updating. It took only a few seconds when I did it. This worked for me, I hope it helps someone else. After fixing it, I would recommend making a Zip archive of the "Launcher" folder in case this happens again.
    Edited by TE5LA on January 1, 2023 8:56PM
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen posts online about this happening from time to time with games that are installed and launched through Steam. My understanding is that Steam has its own "bookkeeping" files that help it manage the games that you install and play through Steam, including files that point it to wherever it's installed the game on your computer. If those files get mucked up, Steam might not be able to find the game and will then say that the game isn't installed yet, even if it is.

There are steps you can take to point Steam back toward the existing installed game so it doesn't keep trying to reinstall the game, assuming you know where the installed game is on your computer. I'm glad you were able to get it sorted out.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

This thread has been moved to the PC Technical Support section, as it is better suited there.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post