The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Fort Amol story

NoOneSpecial
Should have been called “Murder on the Obvious Express”

[edited for minor bashing]
Edited by ZOS_Icy on November 12, 2022 11:12AM
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    [snip]

To my tastes, DC had a lot of good quests both in the main arc and in the side quests. The AD main quests had a lot of good in them -- the tedious repetitiveness in the Valenwood notwithstanding -- but good side quests were much rarer.

And EP had neither, again with rare exceptions.

[edited for minor bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on November 12, 2022 11:10AM
  • brylars
    brylars
    ✭✭✭
    Hehe. You are just now finishing it?
  • NoOneSpecial
    brylars wrote: »
    Hehe. You are just now finishing it?

Yep.
  • NoOneSpecial
    EP has been great so far. I loved the Brothers of Strife, Vox, and Egg storylines.

No spoilers, but someone is an obvious sneering villain, even doing shapeshifter shop talk. My character acts like I’ve been eating lead paint chips.
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EP has been great so far. I loved the Brothers of Strife, Vox, and Egg storylines.

No spoilers, but someone is an obvious sneering villain, even doing shapeshifter shop talk. My character acts like I’ve been eating lead paint chips.

You're gonna be so happy about the latest 3 chapters!

This is sarcasm.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • DivineKitty
    DivineKitty
    ✭✭✭

The player character has been consistently shown to be an actual idiot. Actual quotes include: "Who's Vivec?" followed in the exact same conversation by "What's Red Mountain?" (Dunmer vestige) "Who's Kyne?" (Nord vestige), 'What's the Green Pact?" (Bosmer Vestige) and my favourite: "What's a Saxhleel?" (Argonian vestige)

Maybe all those years of head injuries have scrambled your brains a bit.

(Logically, I know it's because casual or new players may not understand these things, but there has to be an option to NOT be a knuckle dragging moron for those of us who have been playing Elder Scrolls games for the last decade or longer)
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

The player character has been consistently shown to be an actual idiot. Actual quotes include: "Who's Vivec?" followed in the exact same conversation by "What's Red Mountain?" (Dunmer vestige) "Who's Kyne?" (Nord vestige), 'What's the Green Pact?" (Bosmer Vestige) and my favourite: "What's a Saxhleel?" (Argonian vestige)

Maybe all those years of head injuries have scrambled your brains a bit.

(Logically, I know it's because casual or new players may not understand these things, but there has to be an option to NOT be a knuckle dragging moron for those of us who have been playing Elder Scrolls games for the last decade or longer)
    What irks me is that the character asks the same or very similar questions in the same conversation - I've seen a lot of this in ESO quests.
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This was what left me tearing my hair out in the Blackwood questline. At least it got better once we got into the Deadlands, but every time little miss manic pixie dream girl showed up, I felt like she was specifically written to be character shilled in the worst possible way - by making every other character be a brainless moron so she looked intelligent by comparison. And then the fact that you had to check in with her. Every. Step. Of. The. Quest. It almost felt like I couldn't to the bathroom without her permission.

I did not appreciate my character becoming as dumb as a rock just so Eveli could solve the puzzle for me. Particularly when the entire story was all about people being 'secret' traitors that you the player could see coming a mile away, and then your character needed to be oblivious enough to not realize it so darling Eveli could enlighten you. And let's face it - she couldn't put two and two together until she got a letter saying "[ SPOILER CHARACTER] IS A TRAITOR," so you had to be really dumb by comparison.

At least in my mind, I can rewrite the story to make it fit better. Because I don't need my Skyrim-born-and-bred Orc to have to ask who Kyne is if he does kinda already worship her (though "who's Mauloch" actually is an appropriate question for him to ask). Then again, I do have another character who's a total meathead and almost needs someone to remind him to breathe - he spent a bit too long in werewolf mode, and he couldn't exactly read before he got the bite in the first place.
    Edited by tomofhyrule on November 12, 2022 4:35AM
  • FluffWit
    FluffWit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ebonheart kinda drags. I think you've got worse to come in Eastmarch.

But once you get to The Rift you'll meet an npc you first encountered on Bleakrock again, their story is worth paying attention to. Their evolution over the course of the EP questline is really interesting.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The vestige is not the smartest.
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
  • NoOneSpecial
    ZOS_Icy wrote: »
    Thank you for your understanding.

Growing up, are used to have an aunt who would pinch me hard in church whenever she thought I was doing something wrong. Hard enough to leave a bruise.

Maybe she thought she was just getting in good with her boss (God).

Or maybe she just like pinching people who couldn’t fight back.

At any rate, those of us who left home, never came back.
  • amig186
    amig186
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fort Amol was probably the weakest EP quest in the game. Willfully ignoring obvious suspicious behaviour, and then pretty much signing that poor guard's death warrant. Great job Vestige, great job indeed. At least Naryu was there, I guess. I can handle the dumb questions they keep putting in our dialogue options, at least most of them can be ignored and aren't required to progress the quest. But when your only choice is to be a gullible ***, which ends up having consequences for other people (NPCs), that's just insulting. The rest of Eastmarch was decent in my opinion, but Fort Amol was a definite low point in the story. Sometimes I wish they would go over some parts of the basegame campaigns again, add some choices and more dialogue options, but it seems the game is heading in the exact opposite direction these days. No race checks, not even alliance checks, no roleplay.
    PC EU