The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

New Targeting System Persists Longer Than it Should

Aka_
Aka_
✭✭✭✭✭
When trying out the new targeting system, it is far too powerful to be reasonable in Cyrodiil. As it currently stands, targeting someone with a unique icon in the targeting wheel allows you to see them on your compass and your group's compass even after they come out of stealth. Additionally, it persists after death, meaning I can target someone and see when they are brought back to life, which means some may abuse this as a form of harassment. Stealthers are no longer able to avoid detection in a meaningful way, and given that the normal form of tab-targeting disappears after someone is stealthed up and no longer detectable, or when someone dies, this needs to be the same for this new system.
  • voidavoid
    voidavoid
    ✭✭
    Even after multiple threads and discussions warning of its potential for griefing in PVP during PTS. 🤦‍♂️
  • Ankael07
    Ankael07
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    One day they tell people ''focusing players is bannable offense'' next day they give people the perfect tool to do so.
    If you want me to reply to your comment type @Ankael07 in it.
  • voidavoid
    voidavoid
    ✭✭
    Welp, guess this might be another patch where pvp is skippable. Don't suppose the unkillable tank meta is at least over on PC.
  • Trobaka
    Trobaka
    ✭✭✭
    I really do not understand the problem. Would you like the names to be removed too? You know, you can read them, and then focus players. You would also have to delete how players look. Maybe make everyone a blobb? Or gummi bears for the sweatlords...
  • Ankael07
    Ankael07
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Trobaka wrote: »
    I really do not understand the problem. Would you like the names to be removed too? You know, you can read them, and then focus players. You would also have to delete how players look. Maybe make everyone a blobb? Or gummi bears for the sweatlords...

Names dont appear on your (and all party member's) compass as soon as your target enters 100s of feet within vicinity (without even having visual link).

Just because ''people will do it anyway'' doesnt mean we should give them tools to do it easier.
    Edited by Ankael07 on November 5, 2022 1:07PM
    If you want me to reply to your comment type @Ankael07 in it.
  • UnabashedlyHonest
    UnabashedlyHonest
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plain old tab targeting was working just fine IMO. We didn't need a new system.
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't even think about it showing on the map. So you mean if I get hit by a zerg and try to go somewhere else, they'll know where I'm at on the map if they tagged me
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just tested so it just shows on the compass when you get in range again. Im not really bothered by it, but I know someone ganking might not want to have an extra alert. Not sure how many targets a group will want to keep marked all the time though.
  • BenTSG
    BenTSG
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can see it having its uses, more so given you can mark yourself and allies as well, but it should play by Tab Targeting rules. If the mark stealths, it should stay off until you at the very least hover over them again. Same with if they break range.
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is definitely an aspect of the feature that should be adjusted. It ought to remove the icon when a highlighted enemy cloaks, leaves a certain radius or dies.
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And to think I had defended this at one point. I owe somebody an apology and I don't even remember who it was. I said "its not going to interfere with stealth, that'd be stupid! No way they're that stupid bro, chill!"

Oi.
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I take no pleasure in being absolutely correct about this nonsense addition to the game on the pts thread.
    I drink and I stream things.
    Twitch: DrSlaughtr
    YouTube: DrSlaughtr
    Facebook: DrSlaughtr
    Twitter: DrSlaughtr
    TikTok: DrSlaughtr
  • UnabashedlyHonest
    UnabashedlyHonest
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like the change to templar jabs animation and Account Wide Achievements, this is another case of "fixing" something that wasn't broken and just making the game experience worse than it was prior to the changes.

Tab targeting was working just fine.
    Edited by UnabashedlyHonest on November 8, 2022 3:53PM
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Like the change to templar jabs animation and Account Wide Achievements, this is another case of "fixing" something that wasn't broken and just making the game experience worse than it was prior to the changes.

Tab targeting was working just fine.

Well, the underlying feature is good and helpful for many players in many different contexts in the game.

It is just this particular interaction with marked enemies in PvP that needs to be adjusted.
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Hey all, thanks for the feedback here. Wanted to give everyone a heads up that in next week's incremental, we will be temporarily disabling target markers on enemy players and their followers in PvP (with the exception of duels). We're working on some improvements for this system in Update 37 as it relates to its use in PvP but wanted to at least make this temporary change in the meantime.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Zand3rs
    Zand3rs
    ✭✭✭
    Good change. Thank you!
  • acastanza_ESO
    acastanza_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hey all, thanks for the feedback here. Wanted to give everyone a heads up that in next week's incremental, we will be temporarily disabling target markers on enemy players and their followers in PvP (with the exception of duels). We're working on some improvements for this system in Update 37 as it relates to its use in PvP but wanted to at least make this temporary change in the meantime.

To clarify, will you still be able to mark friendly players in PVP? This was quite useful for keeping groups together and positioned correctly.

I do think you'll find a pretty wide consensus in the PVP community that this was way too powerful for marking enemies. It definitely needs to be removed (not just hidden) by crouch-stealthing (but not removed by abilities like cloak/vamp-run/invisibility potions just suppressed like it is now until the effect ends). It should absolutely be removed on respawn (but NOT revive). It also needs the range cut (by maybe by 1/3?).
    Edited by acastanza_ESO on November 29, 2022 7:23PM
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager

To clarify, will you still be able to mark friendly players in PVP? This was quite useful for keeping groups together and positioned correctly.

I do think you'll find a pretty wide consensus in the PVP community that this was way too powerful for marking enemies. It definitely needs to be removed (not just hidden) by crouch-stealthing (but not removed by abilities like cloak/vamp-run/invisibility potions just suppressed like it is now until the effect ends). It should absolutely be removed on respawn (but NOT revive). It also needs the range cut (by maybe by 1/3?).

Sorry, yes. You will still be able to mark friendly players in PvP - this change only affects enemy players. And many of the things you called out are similar to what we are discussing internally as well :)
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Sorry, yes. You will still be able to mark friendly players in PvP - this change only affects enemy players. And many of the things you called out are similar to what we are discussing internally as well :)

While we're on the topic of marking friendlies and since feedback is still being collected, target markers should be distinctly different for friendlies vs everyone else as icon designations overlap*.

Example: Someone might use the square and triangle for marking the tanks of a group, while others use those as the first options for marking primary and secondary targets.

Tank and healer icons already exist in the game, you need to mostly make sure there are ones for first tank and second tank and first healer and second healer (for trials). On PC we use Ody's support icons so it's not as much of an issue for us, however non-addon users and console users, especially for pug groups have started to designate markers for tanks meant for hostiles (like circles).

* (this is my tldr)