The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

I've launched the launcher and got "checking invalid game files..."

HappyDan
HappyDan
✭✭✭
Game worked fine yesterday, today I run the launcher and and this message, tried deleting the program data folder, tried launching as administrator nothing works.
I can still run the game from eso64 however tomorrow is the patch, and if I cannot sort the launcher launching from the eso64 won't help me since the game will be out of date.
I've tried googling this specific error but nothing can't find anything specific to this issue. Did anyone experience this and managed to solve it?
Here is the error, well it's not an error exactly just infinite loading screen.
https://ibb.co/B43W2Nm
  • votan73
    votan73
    ✭✭✭
    If the program is doing what it says, you should watch the harddisk activity and let it complete the job. It has to check gigabytes of data.

Maybe it is hanging for reason. Did you do a harddisk check?

Just a guess.
  • HappyDan
    HappyDan
    ✭✭✭
    Nope hadn't done anything it just happened out of the blue
  • JazzyNova
    JazzyNova
    ✭✭✭✭
    I too, am having this issue as well. Started just this morning when I launched the launcher itself, went from "Loading" to "Checking for Invalid Game Files" & remained stuck. No issues until this came up beforehand. :frowning:
    Edited by JazzyNova on October 31, 2022 4:57PM
  • ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Community Manager
    Hello! For those of you encountering this issue, do you have ESO on Steam?
    Jessica Folsom
    Lead Community Manager - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
    Staff Post
  • JazzyNova
    JazzyNova
    ✭✭✭✭

Yes, I do here.
  • Cominfordatoothbrush

Same issue here, yes I'm on steam
    votan73 wrote: »
    If the program is doing what it says, you should watch the harddisk activity and let it complete the job. It has to check gigabytes of data.

Maybe it is hanging for reason. Did you do a harddisk check?

Just a guess.

1% disk usage smh
  • HappyDan
    HappyDan
    ✭✭✭

Non steam version
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Also if you could, please let us know if you are playing on PC or Mac.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Karminathevamp
    Karminathevamp
    ✭✭✭
    Greetings! I have the same problem as above but I'm not on Steam. I'm on PC NA. Everything was fine when I played last night and I get this message today. :(
    Edited by Karminathevamp on October 31, 2022 6:06PM
    Master Angler
  • JazzyNova
    JazzyNova
    ✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »

I'm on PC here.
  • HappyDan
    HappyDan
    ✭✭✭
    Pc
  • Noctume
    Noctume
    ✭✭✭
    PC / Steam same issue ! Reboot PC, repair files from steam, nothing ofc can't log through eso64.exe
    Noctume Arachneare Mortis | Magicka Sorcerer | PC EU | DC | CP 1300+ | Event Farmer | Achievement Points : 34k+
    FR | EN

• ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Thanks all. Another question. Are you on PC NA or PC EU? Just trying to make sure we are covering all of our bases as we check.

And would you be able to get a copy of your host developer folder and share it via DM? This is the help article to access the folder: https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25196/
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • JazzyNova
    JazzyNova
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks all. Another question. Are you on PC NA or PC EU? Just trying to make sure we are covering all of our bases as we check.

And would you be able to get a copy of your host developer folder and share it via DM? This is the help article to access the folder: https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25196/

PC-NA & sent my host log
    Edited by JazzyNova on October 31, 2022 6:11PM
  • HappyDan
    HappyDan
    ✭✭✭
    Pc-EU non steam version
    Sent host log via dm
  • Cominfordatoothbrush

PC

PC NA
  • Noctume
    Noctume
    ✭✭✭

PC Steam EU (Fr)
    Noctume Arachneare Mortis | Magicka Sorcerer | PC EU | DC | CP 1300+ | Event Farmer | Achievement Points : 34k+
    FR | EN

• LadyJohanna
    Having the exact same issue. Game was working fine just about an hour ago, been playing on and off since this morning.

PC/NA here, on Steam.
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Hi all. Thanks so much for the host dev files so far. A few other questions from the team.

When you are in the launcher and you get the ,"checking for invalid game files", are you stuck at the message? Does anything happen after that is up for some time? Or is it in infinite loop?

And the team would also like to know if anyone keeps their patcher or PC on overnight? Not sure what the context is here, but this could be helpful to the team.
    Staff Post
  • HappyDan
    HappyDan
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all. Thanks so much for the host dev files so far. A few other questions from the team.

When you are in the launcher and you get the ,"checking for invalid game files", are you stuck at the message? Does anything happen after that is up for some time? Or is it in infinite loop?

And the team would also like to know if anyone keeps their patcher or PC on overnight? Not sure what the context is here, but this could be helpful to the team.

For me there is a brief message "Loading" and then it turns into the "checking for invalid games files", I've kept it for 10-15? minutes nothing has changed from what I've noticed but then again there is no timer or a loading bar so who knows really.
    I can leave it on for the night and report the next day. I don't actually keep the launcher nor my pc on for over night.
    Edited by HappyDan on October 31, 2022 6:59PM
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Thanks, @HappyDan. This is helpful.

We have a potential work around from the team if you would like to try. I'll list the steps below:
    1. Close the Patcher
    2. Navigate to their Patcher directory
    3. Delete the Bethesda.net_Launcher.version file
    4. Restart the patcher to see it self updates and opens normally
    g7g09joiz21x.jpg

Let us know if this works for you. If not, we'll go back to the drawing board.
    Staff Post
  • JazzyNova
    JazzyNova
    ✭✭✭✭

Infinite occurs after the client says "Checking for Invalid Game Files." Had it up for about the same amount of time, 15-20 minutes & nothing. No, I do not keep my launcher & PC on overnight.
    Edited by JazzyNova on October 31, 2022 7:04PM
  • Futerko
    Futerko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    same problem here
    my eso is not on steam. PC/EU

after short 3 sec "loading screen" ak38oagur08a.png

i have this (and nothing change im stuck on this)
    cx91cvycs4fa.png

and I didn't leave my launcher/patcher on overnight.
    I was able to log into game like 3hours ago and now i cant

YOUTUBE CHANNEL HOUSING/OUTFITS

GM Aetherius Art - Housing Guild (PC EU)
  • Karminathevamp
    Karminathevamp
    ✭✭✭
    When I tried to launch the game today, I got a blue loading line and then the "Checking for invalid games files" and it has been stuck there since then, nothing else happens.

My PC is in sleep mode at night, not turned off.

Thank you for your help
    Master Angler
  • Cominfordatoothbrush

We have a potential work around from the team if you would like to try. I'll list the steps below:
    1. Close the Patcher
    g7g09joiz21x.jpg

Tried this, here's what happens:
    - when i restart launcher it updates for about 10 seconds
    - launcher restarts and is "loading" for a few seconds
    - gets stuck again at "checking for invalid game files"
  • JazzyNova
    JazzyNova
    ✭✭✭✭

1. Close the Patcher

Unfortunately, this method did not work for me. Launcher is still stuck at "Checking for Invalid Game Files." :disappointed:
  • Futerko
    Futerko
    ✭✭✭✭✭

1. Close the Patcher
    g7g09joiz21x.jpg

Tried this, here's what happens:
    - when i restart launcher it updates for about 10 seconds
    - launcher restarts and is "loading" for a few seconds
    - gets stuck again at "checking for invalid game files"

sadly in my case that dosent help too, launcher start updating and then im stuck again on the "Checking for Invalid Game Files"

YOUTUBE CHANNEL HOUSING/OUTFITS

GM Aetherius Art - Housing Guild (PC EU)
  • Karminathevamp
    Karminathevamp
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, it is not working for me too. Exactly the same thing as earlier just happened when I tried your suggestion.

Thank you for your help
    Master Angler
  • HappyDan
    HappyDan
    ✭✭✭

1. Close the Patcher
    g7g09joiz21x.jpg

Ok so I've deleted and restarted, it did a 30 second "updating" sequence with a bar moving to indicate it is actually updating.
    But after it finished it reopened the "updating" for like a second and returned to the "checking for invalid game files"
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Thanks for the feedback all. Appreciate your patience here. Relaying your feedback to the team to continue investigations.
    Staff Post