The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Dps' running barrier?

Sonnir
Sonnir
✭✭✭
Some of my dps friends consistently run barrier in dungeons, even with a dedicated healer and tank. (Before and after u35)

Does anyone else run with dps that run barrier in premade groups?

Situationally, I could see this as possibly being useful, but it seems odd to me that a dps would give up a valuable ult spot for something they shouldn't need if they aren't standing around in stupid and their healer is half decent.

Am I missing something? What are others thoughts on this.

Thank you for reading.
Edited by Psiion on October 30, 2022 8:24PM

Best Answers

• Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Noooooo. More dps is much more necessary than a barrier. A barrier can be eaten up quickly and having two of them already is good enough in case of emergency. I only see dps running barrier in select trials and even then it’s not very common.
    Barrier rotation is a great idea in theory, terrible in practice compared to not doing that. Trust in the supports!
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
    Answer ✓
  • Troodon80
    Troodon80
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Running Barrier really depends on your composition. As you say, situational. If, for example, you wanted to do a 3DD run of Earthen Root Enclave, I can imagine at least one DD running Barrier for first boss and maybe last boss for very specific points in those fights. Or for very specific points when score-pushing raids where you don't necessarily have a "full" healer. But as a general thing? Running Barrier on a DD is a straight DPS loss. There's no real need or want to run Barrier, especially if you have a healer. As a premade, if you are doing something by yourselves and Barrier is a part of the plan then go for it. But outside of a few specific fights and only when running 3DDs+tank, I can't think of a point where it would even be useful.

@Troodon80 PC | EU
    Guild: N&S
    Hand of Alkosh | Dawnbringer | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Gryphon Heart
    Deep Dive into Dreadsail Reef Mechanics
    Answer ✓
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
  • Didgerion
    Didgerion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is is this passive that is very useful:
    "Increases Magicka Recovery by 10% for each Support ability slotted."

Also when you are on a DD spec there are not many "oh ***" skills available for when the healer dies.

Also there are 2 ultimates and for max DPS one will always pop the one from the front bar for max DPS(dawnbreaker usually), leaving the one form back bar unused most of the times. It is not like you can spam both of the ultimates as you do with the regular skills.

And last but not least there are all sorts of healers, real one and fake ones too.

Running Barrier on back bar is a safety skill same as harness belt, you hope you never gonna need it but always have it.

• Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Didgerion wrote: »

Also when you are on a DD spec there are not many "oh ***" skills available for when the healer dies.

Also there are 2 ultimates and for max DPS one will always pop the one from the front bar for max DPS(dawnbreaker usually), leaving the one form back bar unused most of the times. It is not like you can spam both of the ultimates as you do with the regular skills.

And last but not least there are all sorts of healers, real one and fake ones too.

Running Barrier on back bar is a safety skill same as harness belt, you hope you never gonna need it but always have it.

While the passive is useful in theory, there’s other ways to deal with sustain issues. The healer shouldn’t die but if they do, it’s not often that there’s constant damage that needs to be healed through. Plus, the tank can barrier. On ults… that’s not how that works. Dawnbreaker is slotted on frontbar for fighters guild passives, NOT to be used as an ult as there’s better ones out there. The backbar ult is the damaging ult. Finally, again, a barrier won’t really help with a fake healer. Vigor would work better than a barrier. Barrier can be eaten up in a second if people don’t know what they’re doing. It’s not a magic “become invincible for the duration” skill. It’s a last resort protect and heal skill. If the healer isn’t healing, you just wasted all your ult for like… a few seconds of protection.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • Sonnir
    Sonnir
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the feedback all! Much appreciated. :)
  • Didgerion
    Didgerion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soarora wrote: »

While the passive is useful in theory, there’s other ways to deal with sustain issues. The healer shouldn’t die but if they do, it’s not often that there’s constant damage that needs to be healed through. Plus, the tank can barrier. On ults… that’s not how that works. Dawnbreaker is slotted on frontbar for fighters guild passives, NOT to be used as an ult as there’s better ones out there. The backbar ult is the damaging ult. Finally, again, a barrier won’t really help with a fake healer. Vigor would work better than a barrier. Barrier can be eaten up in a second if people don’t know what they’re doing. It’s not a magic “become invincible for the duration” skill. It’s a last resort protect and heal skill. If the healer isn’t healing, you just wasted all your ult for like… a few seconds of protection.

No, I see it more of a skill that you would pop while trying to rez your fallen tank or healer.

Also most DPS players run dawnbreaker on their front bar for the WD passive it has. It is also a really good skill to use against undead and it is quite cheap.
    There are not many ultimates that you would choose to pop over your dawnbreaker. And also take into consideration that there are classes over there that don't have good ultimates at all such as sorcerer for example.
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

No, I see it more of a skill that you would pop while trying to rez your fallen tank or healer.

Also most DPS players run dawnbreaker on their front bar for the WD passive it has. It is also a really good skill to use against undead and it is quite cheap.
    There are not many ultimates that you would choose to pop over your dawnbreaker. And also take into consideration that there are classes over there that don't have good ultimates at all such as sorcerer for example.

Most circumstances wouldn't need a barrier in order to res unless you're the only one left alive. Regardless, yes dawnbreaker is for that passive primarily. However, there are in fact a LOT of ultimates better than dawnbreaker. Including for sorcs. Sorcs run atro and even if a class ultimate isn't the best, there's destro ult and mages guild ult. Wardens double-bar bear. Nightblades do incap on back or both bars. Cros do colo for support reasons. DKs run standard. I don't recall what templars do I kind of pretend they don't exist LOL. Regardless, can run whatever ults you want but it's not the standard to do dawnbreaker damaging ult and barrier backbar so I wouldn't give people advice to do so.
  • Didgerion
    Didgerion
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Most circumstances wouldn't need a barrier in order to res unless you're the only one left alive. Regardless, yes dawnbreaker is for that passive primarily. However, there are in fact a LOT of ultimates better than dawnbreaker. Including for sorcs. Sorcs run atro and even if a class ultimate isn't the best, there's destro ult and mages guild ult. Wardens double-bar bear. Nightblades do incap on back or both bars. Cros do colo for support reasons. DKs run standard. I don't recall what templars do I kind of pretend they don't exist LOL. Regardless, can run whatever ults you want but it's not the standard to do dawnbreaker damaging ult and barrier backbar so I wouldn't give people advice to do so.

Oh it is definitely not standarad, but i can see why some DPS would run barrier and I just listed few reasons why they would do so. It is not like it is totally ridiculous to run barrier on your back bar.

On my stamsroc for example i run WW ultimate on my back bar for stamina recovery passive, I never pop it. I really don't like Atro and I'm not sure it does more damage than dawnbreaker especially when there are several adds out there and there is simply nothing else worth slotting on my back bar.
    Also my back bar is a bow with less WD, penetration and crit chance that the front bar is, I would feel really bad to pop a DD ultimate on that bar.
    Edited by Didgerion on October 30, 2022 8:23PM
  • Sonnir
    Sonnir
    ✭✭✭
    My topic was specifically in reference to premade dungeon groups with a dedicated healer, incase that was missed.

Though I am sure there are uses for dps with running barrier in some instances, I wanted feedback specifically for dps running barriers in every dungeon despite having a dedicated healer, in which case they slot it over an aggressive ult such as dawnbreaker, a class ult or other. That has become a common thing in some of my groups which did seem to make sense to me but I wondered if maybe I was missing something.

My question has been answered. Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

(Mods, feel free to close this topic, my question has been answered.)
  • Psiion
    Psiion
    ✭✭✭✭
    Greetings,

Per the OP's request above, we have closed this thread as the answer has been provided.

Regards,
    The Elder Scrolls Online Team
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.