The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Unpopular Opinion: Jogging & Jumping should also cost Stamina

• ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think he post really good idea.

With nerfs in core mechanics of HA of lightning staffs I do not see reason why other game mechanics are not nerfed ;)

HA players did not jump a lot ;)

People can disagree with the idea in a civil way also if they dislike it. Unfortunately that is rarely seen on these forums.

I remember posting suggestions myself and people that disagreed responded with mocking/insults or accusations of trolling instead of just saying they disagree and stating why.

I appreciate the empathy. It really was a serious idea, even if I knew it'd incur backlash. I dunno why I still wanted to post it, especially now. It was so short winded too cause I made it at work, had little time. But now I just want it done before I'm given another warning, now that the claims of Trolling have started, which is why I requested a Mod to just close the topic. I have a chronic issue of always expressing my mind in ways most don't appreciate. It's why I'm so quiet in life.

To be honest, I personally enjoy realism as much as possible. I understand the detriment limiting movement speed has on a lot of the gameplay. I just don't like just how fast you can move, coupled with how scaled down the world is. We're encouraged to run thru everything. When I first learned of the game, I had impractical thoughts of what the zones would be like. I imagined Alikr to be a vast desert of sprawling dunes, taking you a legitimately long time just to reach a player hub. I enjoy realistic difficulty, and the experience overcoming it. And I love this game. I have 7 years invested. My mind just wants to imagine putting two and two together.

I'm one of those types that wouldn't even complain if they removed Wayshrines.
    Edited by ArchMikem on October 31, 2022 5:04PM
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • SPR_of_HA_community
    SPR_of_HA_community
    ✭✭✭✭

With nerfs in core mechanics of HA of lightning staffs I do not see reason why other game mechanics are not nerfed ;)

People can disagree with the idea in a civil way also if they dislike it. Unfortunately that is rarely seen on these forums.

I remember posting suggestions myself and people that disagreed responded with mocking/insults or accusations of trolling instead of just saying they disagree and stating why.

I agree with him.

After HA builds was nerfed, why not to nerf all other ? )

When some one jumps too much it is annoying. If people fid not like lightning ha, well - I do not like jumping, dodging and running targets )
    Edited by SPR_of_HA_community on October 31, 2022 5:29PM
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

We have recently removed some unnecessary back and forth from this thread. This is a reminder to keep the discussion civil and constructive. Please keep our Community Rules in mind moving forward.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
  • SammyKhajit
    SammyKhajit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Interesting idea - however, jumping is not fun at all in ESO.

Now, in Oblivion, if you max up the acrobatic skill and wear Boots of Springheel Jack, leaping around is soo much fun! This one felt like a monkey 🐒 And you can also jump across water surfaces!

If we can have that in ESO, Sammy would happily consider stamina cost for leaping.
    Edited by SammyKhajit on October 31, 2022 7:07PM
  • boi_anachronism_
    boi_anachronism_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why we talking about heavy attacks, it's irrelevant to the conversation and those of you who don't enjoy the combat: just play something else. I, like many other folks, play eso specifically because the combat isn't like every other mmo. The style is somewhat hybridized and makes it more engaging. There are plenty of others with traditional mmo combat.

Back to the topic at hand: The game is well over 100sq miles of terrain. Being able to travel at a decent speed is absolutely critical and will hit new players the hardest. The guys who have no steeds blessing cp slot? Good luck. Your a stam build at level 14? Blessings getting around. Cyro and bgs will not be viable for you until you max your stats and mag builds would be boned as they can't compensate for that and don't have the recovery either. You couldn't implement this even if you wanted to.
  • fizzylu
    fizzylu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm fine with jumping costing stamina, make it the same as dodge rolling.

Why though??? Dodging and jumping are entirely different.... dodging legit gives you the ability to avoid taking a hit, jumping does not. And if you can't track someone who is simply jumping, try tab targeting.
    In general, this is just a really closed-minded view. Like this would be terrible for people who stack magicka instead of stamina.... and such players already have enough trouble sustaining stam to dodge and block; yet now people are talking about adding jumping into the mix? Nahhhh haha like what if I need to get over a ledge, but I dodge rolled my stamina to inexistence trying to counter a nightblade???? RIP me, I guess. Death by uneven terrain.
    Edited by fizzylu on October 31, 2022 9:41PM
  • boi_anachronism_
    boi_anachronism_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fizzylu wrote: »
    I'm fine with jumping costing stamina, make it the same as dodge rolling.

Why though??? Dodging and jumping are entirely different.... dodging legit gives you the ability to avoid taking a hit, jumping does not. And if you can't track someone who is simply jumping, try tab targeting.
    In general, this is just a really closed-minded view. Like this would be terrible for people who stack magicka instead of stamina.... and such players already have enough trouble sustaining stam to dodge and block; yet now people are talking about adding jumping into the mix? Nahhhh haha like what if I need to get over a ledge, but I dodge rolled my stamina to inexistence trying to counter a nightblade???? RIP me, I guess. Death by uneven terrain.

Also even in real life jumping requires a lot less stamina then rolling. I got a martial arts background, many years 😆 and that is a fact.
  • fizzylu
    fizzylu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also even in real life jumping requires a lot less stamina then rolling. I got a martial arts background, many years 😆 and that is a fact.

And this isn't real life, it's a video game haha like can you imagine your character, a champion who has defeated dragons.... vampire lords.... and so much more.... getting winded from jumping? hahahahaaaa
    Edited by fizzylu on October 31, 2022 10:18PM
  • boi_anachronism_
    boi_anachronism_
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And this isn't real life, it's a video game haha like can you imagine your character, a champion who has defeated dragons.... vampire lords.... and so much more.... getting winded from jumping? hahahahaaaa

Right- just saying cause someone brought up that "well it takes stamina to jump in real life sooo.... "
  • fizzylu
    fizzylu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right- just saying cause someone brought up that "well it takes stamina to jump in real life sooo.... "

No, you are correct haha like I can understand wanting some sense of realism, but jumping isn't that tiring for a lot of people haha and you need to consider the "realism" from the point of the games lore and setting.... because again; what kind of built like a god, 2h swinging Nord is going to have their check engine light come on after a few leaps? If that's the case, I think it will be time for all of our characters to put down their weapons/magics and retire to house decorating haha
    Edited by fizzylu on October 31, 2022 10:31PM
  • boi_anachronism_
    boi_anachronism_
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No, you are correct haha like I can understand wanting some sense of realism, but jumping isn't that tiring for a lot of people haha and you need to consider the "realism" from the point of the games lore and setting.... because again; what kind of built like a god, 2h swinging Nord is going to have their check engine light come on after a few leaps? If that's the case, I think it will be time for all of our characters to put down their weapons/magics and retire to house decorating haha

I mean as someone pointed out- you could basically moon jump in oblivion and Morrowind. If that was jumping in eso well then ok- I cave charge me some stam 😂 as of right now? It a bunny hop.
  • fizzylu
    fizzylu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean as someone pointed out- you could basically moon jump in oblivion and Morrowind. If that was jumping in eso well then ok- I cave charge me some stam 😂 as of right now? It a bunny hop.

Tamriel's hero done in by some light frolicking haha
  • opalcity
    opalcity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right, I don't really agree with OP, but I think there might be a way to make this idea work.

The Wanderer Personality.

Activating the personality gives you a couple of new animations, but also gives you a big stamina/speed debuff.

That way people who want to stop and smell the roses can plod along and the whole idea is optional.
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Running, roll dodge, block should have their own "endurance bar", which decreases with use. It is weird when two characters sprint to the end of let's say a long delve, and the stamina character can't do anything when he gets there, but a magicka character can. "Too late, you now have to wait 5 minutes for the boss to respawn!"

Right now, we should be able to set a stamina ceiling in the gameplay settings, after which our character automatically stops running when he hits that mark. For example: I set my stamina ceiling to 40%, when running my character will never go below that and simply stop running as if I were at 0% stamina. So that when I arrive somewhere after running, I know I will always have atleast 40% stamina resources left to fight. And when my character won't run, I know I still have 40% resource left to fight. (Note: This ceiling excludes roll dodge/block, as this is only an issue with running)

Having stamina based skills and stamina based abilities(running/roll dodge/block) using the same resource, is not userfriendly in my opinion. It is much too easy to run out and no longer being able to fight. Especially when you are competing with other players when running to an endpoint.

I always have issues playing stamina characters because of the above mentioned. Not that I can't play them, but they are an annoyance to play even when I love their skills. Another problem is when trying to replenish my stamina, most mobs will dodge or block the heavy attack. Prolonging fights for no reason at all. (Note: I do not use potions or food in overland, I shouldn't have to for a basic resource(never have to on magicka characters))

Just my thoughts on this.

PS: The heavy armor sprinting downsides should be removed!
    PPS: Jumping in PvP just looks stupid and silly. But I'm not going to comment on PvP, as I hardly ever do that.
    PPPS: Jumping should not cost anything, as we would be unable to get out of stuck positions.
    Edited by Sarannah on November 1, 2022 8:19AM
  • marius_buys
    marius_buys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The issue is ACTUALLY that sorcs shield stack for free (via jump animation cancelling)
    ... but hey that's just my opinion :)
    Edited by marius_buys on November 1, 2022 10:16AM
  • SPR_of_HA_community
    SPR_of_HA_community
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jumping is like AIR T-baging )))

Such option have to cost stamina any way ;)

The same for standart T-baging - Tbag to match, lose stamina, get stan -> dead to resp.

Nice idea ? )))
    Edited by SPR_of_HA_community on November 1, 2022 10:33AM
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While theoretically it should cost stamina, in practice it would just not be a fun change, so for me it is a no.
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I've always liked the idea of adding aging and needing to eat/sleep ingame, so OP's idea doesn't sound far fetched to me.

Highly doubt it will happen, of course. But intriguing idea nonetheless.
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
  • boi_anachronism_
    boi_anachronism_
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The same for standart T-baging - Tbag to match, lose stamina, get stan -> dead to resp.

Nice idea ? )))

😂 No. It's not. It's a function that's used largely for getting around overland. Like uh idk... Climbing cliffs to get skyshards, escaping mobs getting out of the damn water. It doesn't have to cost stamina, it doesn't currently cost it, and it's incredibly unlikely that it ever will.. also that is a bloody weird comparison. What.
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Nice idea ? )))

😂 No. It's not. It's a function that's used largely for getting around overland. Like uh idk... Climbing cliffs to get skyshards, escaping mobs getting out of the damn water. It doesn't have to cost stamina, it doesn't currently cost it, and it's incredibly unlikely that it ever will.. also that is a bloody weird comparison. What.

I also want to add that for tanking (at least, in dungeons), jumping helps you see over the enemies in front of you so you can chain the enemies far from you. Making jumping cost stamina would mean tanking would be harder… which is not ideal with how we need more tanks lol. It’d be especially bad for everyone who has to use silver leash because there’s no class magicka chain…

PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • boi_anachronism_
    boi_anachronism_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soarora wrote: »

Nice idea ? )))

I also want to add that for tanking (at least, in dungeons), jumping helps you see over the enemies in front of you so you can chain the enemies far from you. Making jumping cost stamina would mean tanking would be harder… which is not ideal with how we need more tanks lol. It’d be especially bad for everyone who has to use silver leash because there’s no class magicka chain…

😂 Especially when folks be running maw of infernal. I can't even see over that as a dps.
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jumping is also the way players get around the goofiness where your character otherwise gets stuck on obstacles you could easily step over. Adding stamina drain to that would be adding insult to injury.
  • SpacemanSpiff1
    SpacemanSpiff1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    what a terrible suggestion.
  • Casul
    Casul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There it is, the change to kill magicka build in PvP.
    PvP needs more love.
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »

I appreciate the empathy. It really was a serious idea, even if I knew it'd incur backlash. I dunno why I still wanted to post it, especially now. It was so short winded too cause I made it at work, had little time. But now I just want it done before I'm given another warning, now that the claims of Trolling have started, which is why I requested a Mod to just close the topic. I have a chronic issue of always expressing my mind in ways most don't appreciate. It's why I'm so quiet in life.

To be honest, I personally enjoy realism as much as possible. I understand the detriment limiting movement speed has on a lot of the gameplay. I just don't like just how fast you can move, coupled with how scaled down the world is. We're encouraged to run thru everything. When I first learned of the game, I had impractical thoughts of what the zones would be like. I imagined Alikr to be a vast desert of sprawling dunes, taking you a legitimately long time just to reach a player hub. I enjoy realistic difficulty, and the experience overcoming it. And I love this game. I have 7 years invested. My mind just wants to imagine putting two and two together.

I'm one of those types that wouldn't even complain if they removed Wayshrines.

I understand that you're suggestion is serious, but there are ways for you to artificially simulate the experience you desire without compromising the convenience the current game play systems provide.

I, myself, enjoy walking through the world- that includes deliberately putting certain speed buffs on my horse so that I can put it in "walk" mode and have it trot or canter at a realistic trail-riding pace that isn't crawlingly slow, but isn't fast either. Keybinding walk, and doing certain things to provide the experience you want for yourself, is the only way to do this. You can have what you desire, it's built into the game- the option is there to slowly explore the zones and spend many hours doing so.

You can choose to not jump for a certain period of time if you wish to simulate the experience of having your character feel fatigued. I don't go this far and would not want to, but if it is something you desire, you can certainly choose to do it.

But, that experience does not have to be...pushed onto others who neither have the time nor the inclination to explore an MMORPG in this way. The systems you suggest would cause much inconvenience in multiplayer modes, where people need to get places quickly in overland to do events like dolemans, dragons, ext

I'm sorry, but even as a person who loves slow exploration, and who hasn't even completed exploring high isle yet because I enjoy riding and walking slowly through it....I cannot support your suggestion because the option to slowly explore the world is already present and does not need to be forced onto others.

Artificial inconvenience for the sake of "making us explore the world more slowly and thoroughly" does not make the player enjoy the world more- I enjoy playing how I play because I can turn it off any time I please and go about playing normally with others. Then, when I want to go back to my own private roleplays and take things slow, I can return to that willingly and with much enjoyment because I chose to, not because a stamina bar dictated that I must.
    Edited by ArchangelIsraphel on November 1, 2022 10:27PM
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • boi_anachronism_
    boi_anachronism_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BuildMan wrote: »
    There it is, the change to kill magicka build in PvP.

I think I mentioned this early on. Mag is basically boned in this situation 😂