The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Why do my graphics quality seem to drop at night?

Fingolfinn01
Fingolfinn01
✭✭✭✭
AMD Ryzen 7 5800 X
Radeon RX 6900 XT
h2w8dej9ydq6.png
snfav9la08ma.png
e7x3i43bgm1z.png

Edited by ZOS_Icy on October 28, 2022 4:30PM
PC-NA
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hard to tell much with screen shots. Do you mean things look less detailed at night or do you mean you see FPS drops at the same graphics settings at night?

Your graphics settings will determine how much detail you see. Your G card will determine how much FPS you can pump out at a particular setting.
  • Lebkuchen
    Lebkuchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You must have a really great computer monitor to play in such darkness.
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Because it's harder to see at night.
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Your screen is really dark! But that shouldn't be an issue.

If I had to guess, maybe the shadow or AA setting are too straining/taxing for your GPU when it is dark. Another thing could be the field of view, maybe lower that a bit to test. Other than that, you will have to try different settings to see which one causes your issue. Before messing around with your settings, write down or make a screenshot of the current ones. So you can change them back if any other issues occur after changing the settings. And try different settings one by one, to pinpoint the exact setting causing the issue.

Goodluck on getting it resolved!

PS: Maybe post a screenshot at the same location from during the day, for comparison.
    Edited by Sarannah on October 27, 2022 7:33PM
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They are simulating paranoia and fear by throttling your FPS!

But honestly, it might be that they use a fog engine (opacity 90%, color: black, starting range 0, end infinite) to simulate darkness that extreme in the absence of sunlight, especially since the Indrik's glow doesn't seem as vibrant as it should be, being the only source of light. Fog engines can be a source of fps drop in my experience, but if your issue is that the quality of the world's textures is dropping then I have no good answer for you, that's a dev question.

I will say, however, that sometimes I go up to party members and they look like they are made of play-dough until a few seconds pass and their armor and facial features render it. Maybe it's some sort of resource saving feature like this, who knows.
    Edited by Dr_Con on October 27, 2022 9:41PM
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gamma adjustment?

As has been said, we really need to see the same shot in daylight.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sarannah wrote: »
    If I had to guess, maybe the shadow or AA setting are too straining/taxing for your GPU when it is dark.

With a 6900XT there is nothing this game can throw at it to make it too taxing. The 5800X is no slouch for a CPU either.

To me that scene just looks like a really boring scene, and with the light s turned down you get no reflections, no ambient light, no shadowing, difficult to see details and textures.

You know, it's dark! Unless the OP wants to be a bit more specific on "Graphics Quality".
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your concern is game night? Use the Gamma Adjustment screen and make it so barely see the last square. Night will be dark enough.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you're playing in windowed mode, or windowed fullscreen mode, then the colours are managed by Windows, and night scenes will tend to appear darker, otherwise for fullscreen mode ESO manages the colours. So try switching to fullscreen mode and see if it helps. The only drawback of switching from windowed to fullscreen mode is that it may lower your fps.
    Edited by vsrs_au on October 28, 2022 12:00AM
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • Janni
    Janni
    ✭✭✭✭
    In general mostly it's just artefacts of an aging graphics engine using techniques and assets designed for games from nearly over a decade ago.

More specifically the reason is because there is no light source strong enough to provide the subtle details like cast shadows and specular highlights. Also probably the color values are being crunched down in the darkness a good bit too so it will probably seem less vibrant and with lower contrast.

Edited by Janni on October 28, 2022 1:12AM
  • Marto
    Marto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know what this is!

These are artifacts caused by the new FidelityFX Dynamic Super Resolution mode. The setting that lowers your resolution and uses some clever algorithms to keep visual fidelity. It seems to not be working as intended right now.

Go to your settings, and change "FSR Mode" to off.

According to the PTS patch notes, this issue should be resolved with the new update. Until then, just set it to off.
    Edited by Marto on October 28, 2022 4:43AM
    "According to the calculations of the sages of the Cult of the Ancestor Moth, the batam guar is the cutest creature in all Tamriel"
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Marto wrote: »
    I know what this is!

These are artifacts caused by the new FidelityFX Dynamic Super Resolution mode. The setting that lowers your resolution and uses some clever algorithms to keep visual fidelity. It seems to not be working as intended right now.

According to the PTS patch notes, this issue should be resolved with the new update. Until then, just set it to off.
    Thanks, this I didn't know yet! Hopefully this helps the OP and anyone else with such issues.
  • votan73
    votan73
    ✭✭✭
    Do you use my "Darker nights" addon?

If yes:
    New moon nights can be very dark. But you can adjust it, if you want.
  • Fingolfinn01
    Fingolfinn01
    ✭✭✭✭
    Marto wrote: »
    I know what this is!

Thnxs that helped.
    PC-NA
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

This thread has been moved to the PC Technical Support section, as it is better suited there.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
  • shijian452
    shijian452
    ✭✭✭
    you need reshade