The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

I'm at a loss with Cyrodiil Performance

xFocused
xFocused
✭✭✭✭
Hello all.

For context, I play on the PS4 NA server. For the last couple of weeks the performance in Cyrodiil has been so bad that I can't even stay logged in anymore. I just throw my hands up and call it quits. My PS4 is hardwired, I upgraded my internet speed, I upgraded my ethernet cable, I've done everything I can possibly think of and I still can't escape the rubber banding, players freezing in place only to speed up really quick then freeze again. Players are glitching all over the place, it's even happening in empty fields when I'm solo. I can't bar swap, I can't get inside a keep without pressing "X" 5 times and the disconnects are atrocious. I've spoken to several other players in zone chat and Discord and the same problems are being reported by them as well. While I thought it was my internet, I decided to test out other games and I've had 0 issues with them. Battlefield 4, Overwatch, Call of Duty, Warzone, Fortnite, DayZ, Apex Legends, Rocket League, Rainbow Six siege...not a single rubberband, glitching, freezing or any kind of lag or disconnect. ESO is literally the only game that I can't play regularly right now due to these issues.

So, I'm at a loss. I've done and tried everything I can think of, switching my PS4 to Wi-Fi even instead of hard wiring it, clearing out space on my system, etc...nothing. I've ran speed tests and my speeds are where they should be, I just don't see this being a issue on my end. I love ESO & when Cyrodiil works properly I firmly believe ESO has some of the best PvP around but lately I'm just not feeling excited or interested to login anymore and it's a shame because I've sunk so many hours and 5+ years into this game but because Zos refuses to address the issues with Cyro performance, players will keep dropping this game for another
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Thanks for reaching out about the issues you're having in Cyrodiil. We are hoping to address console megaserver hardware refresh after the PC EU hardware refresh in 2023. But we do not have a firm timeframe for this yet. But in the meantime, we'll pass your feedback to the team.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    Thanks for reaching out about the issues you're having in Cyrodiil. We are hoping to address console megaserver hardware refresh after the PC EU hardware refresh in 2023. But we do not have a firm timeframe for this yet. But in the meantime, we'll pass your feedback to the team.

Thx for the confirmation @ZOS_Kevin. This was also noted in the thread the OP created on the same topic on October 11.

• xFocused
    xFocused
    ✭✭✭✭
    Amottica wrote: »

Thx for the confirmation @ZOS_Kevin. This was also noted in the thread the OP created on the same topic on October 11.

I did mention this in another topic, absolutely. I'm glad Kevin responded as well. I'll absolutely give them a chance to make improvements to the servers as well
  • Pink_E_808
    Pink_E_808
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi xFocused!! I'm right there with you. I haven't been in much at all this campaign. Every day I log in, think about going into Cyrodiil and every day, I decide I don't want to deal with the frustration. I'm thankful for housing or I don't think I would log in at all most days except to collect daily rewards. And it's definitely not just us. A few weeks ago, I got tbagged after a 1x1 with a red I've seen around for years who had never tbagged me before (they even had a chance to about a week prior and didn't) and they whispered me, jeering a little. I whispered politely back and after a short conversation, they apologized for bagging me and admitted they were extra frustrated with the lag that day. People's attitudes and morale are at an all time low, imo. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed, though, that the plans they have in place have good results and I look forward to fighting alongside you again (or even seeing your name on my recap, whatever comes first, lol!).
  • boogie20009
    boogie20009
    ✭✭

So, now(last 2-3weeks) a lot of player have bad performances in PC NA server even with the server upgrade....it is not very encouraging for the future especially after several years of waiting for better performances.
  • Kappachi
    Kappachi
    ✭✭✭✭

So, now(last 2-3weeks) a lot of player have bad performances in PC NA server even with the server upgrade....it is not very encouraging for the future especially after several years of waiting for better performances.

What is your distance to the server? I've had literally no lag in PC NA for the past 4 months except for the few days during the release of High Isle where there was a spike in players and things were a little messy.
  • boogie20009
    boogie20009
    ✭✭
    Kappachi wrote: »

What is your distance to the server? I've had literally no lag in PC NA for the past 4 months except for the few days during the release of High Isle where there was a spike in players and things were a little messy.

Im in Toronto Canada, so not very far...
  • SaffronCitrusflower
    SaffronCitrusflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ball groups are still lagging out the server for everyone not in their group. It's super frustrating.
  • jjjozo
    jjjozo
    ✭✭✭
    Ball groups are still lagging out the server for everyone not in their group. It's super frustrating.

Yep that's it. Pop-locked server running relatively smooth, but only until even just 1 single ball group logs and starts spamming. Whole server resources for 200 people in a campaign eaten by group of 10.

Funny is that these groups post videos of their gameplay while only thing they do is stun-locking people in lags and killing them without any possibility of counterplay reaction. Then you must log 5 sorcs to negate the hell out of them. It's silly.
  • Elendir2am
    Elendir2am
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ball-groups are impacted by lag as well, however their way of play make them less vulnerable. Stucking HoTs and spaming of AoE, which are meking lags, also help to ball-groups if they are hit by lag.

I would give you result of my "research" on it. I tested "tankiness" of members of infame lag-group at GH PC EU.
    I intercepted them from angel, which make me protected from their playstyle (I observed their patern from distant first). I stuned and imobilized last of their group and make all zergs they baited swarm him/her.
    It took several second for my target to break free because of lag, however mayor breach with all incoming attacks did very slow numbers on high health, high resist, a lot of HoTs target and his/her lag-group friends sent him burst healing after few secounds.

I did 3 tests with same results. 3 isn't high number and it was similar time and similar place, but it shows that they aren't immune to lag. Not that it would make playstyle of lag-groups any less toxic.

PS: Finding way of disarming regular ball-group isn't as hard as you think. You only need to learn patern they are following and prevent it. Proper application of ultimate ability can put them under pressure then.
    Edited by Elendir2am on November 9, 2022 10:22AM
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You just need to do what everyone else is.

Put the game down until they fix it, if they ever do.

It's pointless even playing it right now. The frustration from performance (and balancing choices too) far outweigh any fun gained from PvP for most people.

Most hardcore PvP players I know on my server have left. It's a ghost town.

I'm not even holding my breath for a fix. I'm done with the game. If they fix it, great. If not, so be it.

Which is a shame. I've played since release, with a lot of time put in. I loved this game for a long time, and PvP was a lot of fun for a long time. That hope it would get fixed kept me and many others playing, seeing the light at t end of the tunnel. But that tunnel keeps extending, and feels more like a hole right now.
  • xFocused
    xFocused
    ✭✭✭✭
    Brrrofski wrote: »
    You just need to do what everyone else is.

Put the game down until they fix it, if they ever do.

It's pointless even playing it right now. The frustration from performance (and balancing choices too) far outweigh any fun gained from PvP for most people.

Most hardcore PvP players I know on my server have left. It's a ghost town.

I'm not even holding my breath for a fix. I'm done with the game. If they fix it, great. If not, so be it.

Which is a shame. I've played since release, with a lot of time put in. I loved this game for a long time, and PvP was a lot of fun for a long time. That hope it would get fixed kept me and many others playing, seeing the light at t end of the tunnel. But that tunnel keeps extending, and feels more like a hole right now.

You're not wrong, I've slowly given up on the PvP side of the game more and more each day. Some days you login and it works wonderful, other days you login and it feels like you're playing on dial up internet. I still play ESO but it's to do PvE things and chill. I wish Zos would put more effort into the PvP side of this game but after hearing over and over again that "Changes are coming!" and then....nothing, you lose hope
  • DirtyWizard
    DirtyWizard
    ✭✭
    I come back and check the forums every few months, just to see whats up. It is unfortunate to see both that performance still sucks, and that people still complain about it. It realistically is NEVER going to improve. The "prime" of the game is over, and there is little to no monetary incentive for them to make significant changes (hardware infrastructure) that are needed to support the gameplay. ESO was a truly unique game, certainly for consoles, and myself and many others stuck around much longer than we should have waiting for it to get better. It is hard to put down something you have put so much time and effort into, but at some point, you have to.
  • xFocused
    xFocused
    ✭✭✭✭
    Here's a look at how tonight's performance was for me. I have a hardwired PS4, I restarted everything tonight from my modem & router to my PS4 and still got this type of performance. Again, this is THE ONLY game that I experience this type of rubberbanding, glitching, unplayable mess. Any other game I play runs perfectly fine but ESO can't seem to perform properly. I know there's supposed to be changes and updates coming but this is absolutely unacceptable for a game in 2022.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6FiPVilZcc&ab_channel=STAYxFOCUSED
  • Pink_E_808
    Pink_E_808
    ✭✭✭✭
    Watch till the end. Like, wtaf? PS5/NA GH a couple hours ago.

https://youtu.be/ikfBM_uqoYQ
  • xFocused
    xFocused
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pink_E_808 wrote: »
    Watch till the end. Like, wtaf? PS5/NA GH a couple hours ago.

https://youtu.be/ikfBM_uqoYQ

Ridiculous. Glad to see it's not happening to just me however
  • wazzz56
    wazzz56
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is hard to even get motivated to log in for the daily "rewards" let alone stay on to suffer through the performance ...at this point I have zero desires to pve, refuse to buy the card game ...I wholeheartedly only want to pvp.......but the state of cyro (on many fronts) makes it hard to even do that...been playing this game for a long time but slowly have been drifting further and further to other games and things to enjoy during my free time...thought for a while about the question on the customer satisfaction survey about do we see ourselves playing ESO in a month...only honest answer I could give was most likely I would not....
    GM Tig Ole Critties ps5 NA small scale PvP guild

"After a hard week of farming, or a long night of being nagged by your wife, there is nothing better than going out for a bit of a fish."
  • xFocused
    xFocused
    ✭✭✭✭
    wazzz56 wrote: »
    It is hard to even get motivated to log in for the daily "rewards" let alone stay on to suffer through the performance ...at this point I have zero desires to pve, refuse to buy the card game ...I wholeheartedly only want to pvp.......but the state of cyro (on many fronts) makes it hard to even do that...been playing this game for a long time but slowly have been drifting further and further to other games and things to enjoy during my free time...thought for a while about the question on the customer satisfaction survey about do we see ourselves playing ESO in a month...only honest answer I could give was most likely I would not....

Agreed. Even yesterday, I had the whole day free but just no desire to login because I already know Cyro is going to be a mess and there's no point, and I know it's not on my end either since literally no other game I play has these types of performance issues. I've started logging in less and less and moved on to other games or as you said, just other hobbies. It's a shame because the amount of time and effort I've sunk into this game is a lot..
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    xFocused wrote: »

Agreed. Even yesterday, I had the whole day free but just no desire to login because I already know Cyro is going to be a mess and there's no point, and I know it's not on my end either since literally no other game I play has these types of performance issues. I've started logging in less and less and moved on to other games or as you said, just other hobbies. It's a shame because the amount of time and effort I've sunk into this game is a lot..

I recommend taking a full break, no login rewards, no endeavors, no daily writs. I even stopped going to the discords. I marked my calendar to log in for the house hourglass near the end of the month. I think its better to take a big step back and re-evaluate than get strung along day to day. Breaking some of the habits feels good. I guess I was lucky to take a break right before performance got even worse, saved myself a lost of frustration. A couple of my pals are in your video, Focused. They confirmed its a good time for a break lol.
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • xFocused
    xFocused
    ✭✭✭✭

I recommend taking a full break, no login rewards, no endeavors, no daily writs. I even stopped going to the discords. I marked my calendar to log in for the house hourglass near the end of the month. I think its better to take a big step back and re-evaluate than get strung along day to day. Breaking some of the habits feels good. I guess I was lucky to take a break right before performance got even worse, saved myself a lost of frustration. A couple of my pals are in your video, Focused. They confirmed its a good time for a break lol.

Agreed. I've been enjoying playing other games and don't find myself having that itch to login and give ESO a chance lately. DayZ has been more my go to lately and it's been a blast
  • Pink_E_808
    Pink_E_808
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm so on the fence about quitting. Half of me says it makes sense to move on for a while and the other half is stubborn and wants to keep playing, especially considering the money and (many, many) hours I've put in over the years. Like I said in another comment, I'm thankful for housing, at least, I've got lots of decorating ideas, lol. As far as PvP is concerned, I'll keep my fingers crossed that they can and will fix it, but I'm not holding my breath.

Also, Hi @wazzz56!! ❤️
  • jad11mumbler
    jad11mumbler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It'll be another year of "We're working on it, we're working on it" with yet again, nothing to show for their work client side.
    174 characters and counting over 13 accounts.

120 writ certified. 73 at CP rank.
  • xFocused
    xFocused
    ✭✭✭✭
    It'll be another year of "We're working on it, we're working on it" with yet again, nothing to show for their work client side.

The fact that they came out and admitted that they were still running Cyrodiil on 2012 servers tells you all you need to know about them "working on it"
  • xFocused
    xFocused
    ✭✭✭✭
    Here's how Cyrodill looks after the last update on the PS4/5 NA Server in GH. More rubberbanding, glitching, players freezing....Still unplayable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJQeoMFlmW8&ab_channel=STAYxFOCUSED
  • Jabbs_Giggity
    Jabbs_Giggity
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hasn't this Hardware refresh been going on since 2019? Just wondering because I just reinstalled ESO two days ago and thoroughly disappointed with NA server performance...

I mean, seriously....get it together ZOS
  • Jabbs_Giggity
    Jabbs_Giggity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pink_E_808 wrote: »
    I'm so on the fence about quitting. Half of me says it makes sense to move on for a while and the other half is stubborn and wants to keep playing, especially considering the money and (many, many) hours I've put in over the years. Like I said in another comment, I'm thankful for housing, at least, I've got lots of decorating ideas, lol. As far as PvP is concerned, I'll keep my fingers crossed that they can and will fix it, but I'm not holding my breath.

Also, Hi @wazzz56!! ❤️

They been saying PVP will get fixed/revamped/updated/add to since 2015...It has only, and I mean with 100% sincerity, ONLY gotten progressively worse.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The claims the refresh is taking so long due to acquisition delays (availability) is very dubious.

Many of us certainly work in tech and refreshes are happening all the time now. How can they claim it is not possible?

And waiting means costs will just keep going up for that, due to the inflation we are seeing. I wish management would quit being stingy with money for this and realize that things like this can kill their golden goose!
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Lumenn
    Lumenn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have to admit it's getting worse. I watched a wall deteriorate on its own yesterday. Tried repairing with another person but of course you can't repair a wall that's recently taken damage. The other player asked what's going on. It wasn't until the wall was halfway down before 4 siege engines appeared out of thin air on the other side with one player running it. This was Xbox na GH. If consoles will be looked at after PC eu next year does this mean another 3 years or so just to be "assessed"? So 2-3 years before we're even looked at?
  • Bowmanganie
    Bowmanganie
    ✭✭
    It certainly is not money being the issue. ESO has been in the top 100 monthly or weekly revenue earners on steam for a very long time and if I remember correctly, there are only three other games on that list in the same time frame. I can understand how it is difficult, especially if you get a map that is full with 450 other systems running on it. From what I understand, each population bar is 50 people, or so it has been speculated. Imagine having to balance that with all the different internet speeds, connection and systems, whether console or PC. Lag, rubberbanding, etc are just gonna happen. For example, I can have issues in Apex when there is just a few other players running around me, especially when I am partnered with my friend that has terrible internet service.
    With that being said, their product is one of wanting to have 400+ people on a map and having these huge wars. If they get it going, it is one of the most popular parts of ESO, but I am unsure if it will ever live up to expectations.
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ah, I see you are painted red there @xFocused ...was gonna talk a little smack and let you know i hope to run in to you out there, but sadly though, even 1 v 1's have performance issues a lot of times...

actually, 1 v 1's are not very easy to resolve at the moment, nobody is actually where they appear to be on the screen...it's really hard to hit folks with single target attacks...even the bow is missing stuff - literally i can just move a bit and watch arrows fly by me...

sorry, i'm not really where you think i am...
    Here's how Cyrodill looks after the last update on the PS4/5 NA Server in GH. More rubberbanding, glitching, players freezing....Still unplayable
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJQeoMFlmW8&ab_channel=STAYxFOCUSED

even sadder, that looks perfectly normal/typical...

ugh...makes me long for the days of invisible walls and not being able to use the transitus system, or always being stuck in combat - oh wait, that one never went away :p

just to spite myself, i'm gonna play tonight...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place