Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Stadia is now shutting down in January 2023.

Nyseto
Nyseto
✭✭✭
I remember when ZOS finally killed it for ARM-based Macs and told us we can play on Stadia instead. Now Stadia is coming to an end too.
  • woodsielord
    woodsielord
    ✭✭✭
    I know, I came to search for that precise green post so I can quote it and say "this did not age well." I hope support somehow continues because ARM Macs runs ESO so smoothly.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    For further information regarding Stadia sunsetting, please see our FAQ linked below.

Stadia Sunsetting - Elder Scrolls Online
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • thedocbwarren
    thedocbwarren
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_Bill wrote: »
    For further information regarding Stadia sunsetting, please see our FAQ linked below.

Hoping some information can get clarified soon. The Mac support side will need some kind of means to address ability to play. The client does run with newer macs with rosetta, however, Stadia provided a better experience. If something (guessing) like XBox streaming, we lose the Mac support again as it seems no plan to support a Mac client. If that is the case it might then require a sunset announcement for Mac players.
  • ziggy29
    ziggy29
    ✭✭✭
    Hoping some information can get clarified soon. The Mac support side will need some kind of means to address ability to play. The client does run with newer macs with rosetta, however, Stadia provided a better experience. If something (guessing) like XBox streaming, we lose the Mac support again as it seems no plan to support a Mac client. If that is the case it might then require a sunset announcement for Mac players.

Agreed. I have access to a Windows box I can use, but I'd rather just use my M1 Mac as my daily driver for things. It works reasonably well now, but if Rosetta 2 gets the kibosh down the road it's "game over" on the Mac side. And I can only imagine how well it would run natively on Apple silicon, given that I can get 35-40 FPS at 1080p on medium-high settings on my M1 MBA.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

@thedocbwarren @ziggy29

Zenimax already addressed support for mac in light of Apple changing to ARM CPUs. Matt said, "we will not be porting ESO to run on the new ARM-based Macs." Essentially an emulator which may reduce performance would be needed but not supported.

https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/59187
  • thedocbwarren
    thedocbwarren
    ✭✭✭
    Amottica wrote: »

@thedocbwarren @ziggy29

Zenimax already addressed support for mac in light of Apple changing to ARM CPUs. Matt said, "we will not be porting ESO to run on the new ARM-based Macs." Essentially an emulator which may reduce performance would be needed but not supported.

That is quoted so many times... Anyway Mac is still supported, if i desire to run on my M1 thats fine. It's not the M1 causing this issue. If due to no streaming option or a broken client then I'd suggest the officially sunset and say that.
  • ziggy29
    ziggy29
    ✭✭✭

Dude, save your breath. I KNOW that. I SAW that. I’m just imagining how good it COULD be, given how well it runs in emulation through Rosetta 2, even on a relatively low end ARM Mac. Just wistful, is all.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

@thedocbwarren @ziggy29

That is quoted so many times... Anyway Mac is still supported, if i desire to run on my M1 thats fine. It's not the M1 causing this issue. If due to no streaming option or a broken client then I'd suggest the officially sunset and say that.

Sorry but the comment I replied to was fairly general so it seems that statement was appropriate. I would suggest being specific as to what the issue is if asking for information from Zenimax since they seem keen to not support any aspect of the game on the Mac ARM platform.

Good luck.