Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Constant disconnects (every 5-15 min)

Baeleth
Baeleth
✭✭✭
I just installed a new router and modem from my ISP (equipment upgrade) and immediately started experiencing constant disconnects from ESO. An error has occurred. Please wait a few minutes and log in again. I've had the network signal tested multiple times and the signal is strong and steady. No other device or application in my house is having an issue. All other connections are fine. Streaming is fine. Only ESO is having a problem.

I know the troubleshooting page says to "open up outbound ports xxxx through yyyy". I asked my ISP tech support about opening up the recommended ports and I was warned that if I open those ports, I'm making my computer vulnerable to a world of viruses. There has to be a better solution than just willfully opening my PC to all the viruses the world has to offer. Apparently, people have been experiencing this problem for years but I haven't seen a secure fix posted.

Anyone able to shed some light on this?
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Well for starters you know the problem isn't with ESO, but this is a router or modem setting issue. You might want to check the ISP's forums for any similar issues/solutions. Personally I'd check for network congestion though.

-Make sure the router/modem does not respond to WAN pings. Might cause ESO to be put on hold(disconnect), as the router/modem is already busy responding to WAN signals.
    -Make sure both the modem/router discards any unwanted, double or errored packages/signals.
    -Make sure the router/modem does not bounce back any packages anywhere, but discards them instead.
    -Make sure the router/modem does not recheck/remake the connection every few minutes.
    -Make sure your router/modem aren't overheating, serious gaming can stress out regular equipment. MMO's are serious gaming, due to the constant commands being sent to the gameserver. This happening is doubtfull though.
    -Make sure the router/modem does not detect certain signals as a reason to kill the connection. This could happen if one of the ESO's commands happens to be the same/similar to the router/modem's kill connection command.

Other than that, walk through every possible setting on both the modem and the router. To check if any of them could be causing a disconnect somehow. Hope this helps.

PS: I doubt your issue is a port issue, as you can already play.
  • ixthUA
    ixthUA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ISP provided routers are usually cheap and bad. For 100 usd you can get a decent SOHO router that will have no issues.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Baeleth

If you've not done so, we recommend the connection troubleshooting linked below as a starting point for fixing these disconnections.

Connection Troubleshooting - Technical Support - The Elder Scrolls Online
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post