Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

[Tip] How to fix ESO hanging (while it's using CPU) when exiting the game

Fabi95
Fabi95
✭✭✭
Hey everyone, I like to share a trick for an issue that just happened completely out of nowhere for me. I was playing ESO for a few minutes, quitted the game, and every time it hang with the game still using CPU for "something". It took like 6 minutes until the game finally exited properly. After some investigation I figured out a possible cause, which helped in my case. Here is how to fix:

For Nvidia GPU players: Go to %userprofile%\AppData\Local\NVIDIA\DXCache, sort the files by modified date, and delete the most recent shader cache files. Alternatively, you can delete all shader cache files. This may however initially lead to some mildly degraded performance in other games, if you have low end hardware.
For AMD players, the path to this location is %userprofile%\AppData\Local\AMD\DxCache

Alternatively, Windows' Disk Cleanup tool can be used to delete shader cache files. However, in my case it did not find any, so I had to clean the files manually.

Extra note: This issue is more likely to happen for long-time players, as the shader cache for new or casual players is either not created yet or barely filled.

Hopefully this helps!
Edited by ZOS_Bill on September 27, 2022 3:25PM