The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Why is an event reward locked behind an ESO + membership?

• TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BlueRaven wrote: »
    There is this much controversy over a salamander pet re-skin?

Apparently.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • oldbobdude
    oldbobdude
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why is the Hero's of High Isle Apple Salamander pet reward for reaching 100% on the Hero's of High Isle Pathfinder progress bar locked behind ESO + Membership?

High Isle is still a chapter. ESO+ doesn’t give you access yet. You have to own the chapter. Am I misunderstanding something?

Edited by oldbobdude on September 28, 2022 2:39PM
  • UnabashedlyHonest
    UnabashedlyHonest
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't the entire event locked behind a paywall, not just the salamander pet? If you don't own High Isle, there is no event for you, correct?
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it is included to balance out the "surprise" reward being the next DLC, which is fairly useless to subscribers who get it anyway, then what they probably should have done is made the salamander part of the surprise - so the two get announced together and it's clearer that's the intention.

But I suspect they did it this way in the hope that some people will subscribe in order to get the pet.

(I don't subscribe normally, but I do consider it each month when the new statuette and crown store discounts are announced, and for October I will be factoring the pet into that. I don't want the pet that much either, but if I was on the fence about subscribing it could tip the balance.)
    Isn't the entire event locked behind a paywall, not just the salamander pet? If you don't own High Isle, there is no event for you, correct?

I think the problem is that it's a different paywall.

High Isle is a stand-alone purchase, it's not included in ESO+ therefore you have to buy it to participate in the event. But the salamander pet is only for people who have ESO+ (who also have to buy High Isle), so everyone has to pay twice to get that pet.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »

High Isle is a stand-alone purchase, it's not included in ESO+ therefore you have to buy it to participate in the event. But the salamander pet is only for people who have ESO+ (who also have to buy High Isle), so everyone has to pay twice to get that pet.

But the pet is still just a minor perk for ESO+ users, like the monthly statues and periodic crown store sales. It's making a mountain out of a molehill. Manufactured drama. Outrage for the sake of outrage.

(and seriously, no one "has to pay twice" to get that pet, because the pet isn't worth subbing for. Anyone who'd already made the choice not to sub, isn't going to change their mind over something so trivial.
    And even if you do sub for the pet, you still get all the other bonuses of ESO+... DLC access, storage, costume dying, pile of crowns, etc. So it's not like the pet itself is costing people $15.)

edit: and no, I don't have ESO+.
    Edited by Kiralyn2000 on September 28, 2022 5:06PM
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess it is not about a pet, but rather about the fact that (as far as I can tell) it is the 1st time in ESO, when ESO+ gets more reward from an Event that all players participate in. It kinda implies that ESO+ players are somehow more important and their effort is more important vs effort of regular player.

So if for example we have a Player who is not using ESO+, but they buy every new DLC and occasionally some crowns & some items from crown store - they get less, despite supporting the game in almost the same (if not) grater way than player who is only using ESO+.
  • ZOS_Suserial
    ZOS_Suserial
    admin
    Greetings,

This is a friendly reminder that comments need to adhere to our Community Rules. While we completely understand everyone has their own opinions, thoughts, feelings and even frustrations, we want the forums to be a civil and constructive platform for the game and its community as a whole.

Thank you for your understanding.
    The Elder Scrolls Online - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Community Rules | Code-of-Conduct | Terms-of-Service | ESO-Home | ESO-Help
    Staff Post
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So when do you have to be subbed to get the eso + item?
  • Carcamongus
    Carcamongus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some people have stated getting the DLC as a prize is irrelevant for subscribers, as the latter already have access to it. It's worth remembering the content is available only while you have a sub and not everyone subs the whole time, so there are indeed many who would benefit from having the DLC permanently unlocked. I've been subscribing since the early days and I liked getting the Deadlands last year. If this year we indeed get Firesong, I won't complain. I never know when something might happen to make me lose the sub, like credit card declining the renewal or even financial trouble, so, at least to me, having the content permanently unlocked is nice.

The game already has perks only subscribers can enjoy and I'd say the occasional discount on certain crown store items is far more substantial than a reskinned pet. That being said, I find it unlikely many would get plus just for the salamander, especially considering the other more useful advantages it offers, such as the craft bag.

In sum, I don't find it controversial that ZoS is adding something plus-only. I do wish everyone could get it, though.
    Imperial DK and Necro tank. PC/NA
    "Nothing is so bad that it can't get any worse." (Brazilian saying)
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    virtus753 wrote: »
    Amottica wrote: »
    It is a promotion for the chapter. It seems they do something like this every year. Business wise it makes sense to promote the product.

and looking, I do not see what event reward requires ESO+.

"100%—Appleback Salamander pet (ESO Plus members only)"

https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/62811

Ok. I missed that.

Clearly it’s an extra reward for ESO+ as there are two other rewards available for everyone.

• BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess it is not about a pet, but rather about the fact that (as far as I can tell) it is the 1st time in ESO, when ESO+ gets more reward from an Event that all players participate in. It kinda implies that ESO+ players are somehow more important and their effort is more important vs effort of regular player.

So if for example we have a Player who is not using ESO+, but they buy every new DLC and occasionally some crowns & some items from crown store - they get less, despite supporting the game in almost the same (if not) grater way than player who is only using ESO+.

But for the Blackwood event it was pretty convincingly argued that eso+ members got LESS of a reward as the surprise was something they were getting with their subscription anyway.
    Non eso+ members got access to an area that eso+ members were already expecting to get, and no subscription was needed.

The pet is a way to compensate for that.

Is it much of a compensation? To me it’s pretty meh, but I think thats by design.

It’s something so the eso+ members don’t feel neglected. But it’s also really not that big of a deal.
    Edited by BlueRaven on September 28, 2022 10:25PM
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

But for the Blackwood event it was pretty convincingly argued that eso+ members got LESS of a reward as the surprise was something they were getting with their subscription anyway.
    Non eso+ members got access to an area that eso+ members were already expecting to get, and no subscription was needed.

Is it much of a compensation? To me it’s pretty meh, but I think thats by design.

It’s something so the eso+ members don’t feel neglected. But it’s also really not that big of a deal.

This puts the reward into appropriate perspective.

• Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I might be wrong as I don't remember when exactly, Deadlands was given as a event reward, but If I remember correctly, it was available as a reward after it was released. So it is not just exclusively ESO+ users who "got less" - but pretty much every player who owned it before (bought it for cash). Same story with Murkmire DLC, as at some point it was available as a daily login reward.
  • Hurbster
    Hurbster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Because it's just a salamander reskin?
    So they raised the floor and lowered the ceiling. Except the ceiling has spikes in it now and the floor is also lava.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »

But the pet is still just a minor perk for ESO+ users, like the monthly statues and periodic crown store sales. It's making a mountain out of a molehill. Manufactured drama. Outrage for the sake of outrage.

(and seriously, no one "has to pay twice" to get that pet, because the pet isn't worth subbing for. Anyone who'd already made the choice not to sub, isn't going to change their mind over something so trivial.
    And even if you do sub for the pet, you still get all the other bonuses of ESO+... DLC access, storage, costume dying, pile of crowns, etc. So it's not like the pet itself is costing people $15.)

edit: and no, I don't have ESO+.

I'm not saying the reaction is logical or proportionate, just clarifying that what people are complaining about isn't that this 1 reward is behind a paywall (because the entire event is), but that it's a different paywall to the rest.

It doesn't bother me personally so I won't claim to understand it, I just wanted to clear up what exactly the thread is about because someone asked.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I might be wrong as I don't remember when exactly, Deadlands was given as a event reward, but If I remember correctly, it was available as a reward after it was released. So it is not just exclusively ESO+ users who "got less" - but pretty much every player who owned it before (bought it for cash). Same story with Murkmire DLC, as at some point it was available as a daily login reward.

Which makes eso+ membership even LESS rewarding (if true). Non eso+ members got something valuable while eso+ members essentially got nothing, or a perk eso+ members had got stripped away.

This time around they get a salamander pet reskin as compensation.

Really I am beginning to think it’s the eso+ members who should be complaining.
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Every event should have things for ESO+ members only. We pay to keep the game going on a monthly basis and should get perks during all the events.

It's the same as like DirecTV. I've been a customer since around 98. So near 25 years yet every year new customers get all this stuff free for 3 months while my bill goes up to pay for these new customers. Like [snip]

[edited for profanity bypass]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on October 2, 2022 6:22PM
  • Arthtur
    Arthtur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, year ago in the same event, Deadlands DLC was the secret reward. ESO+ players complained that this isn't a good reward as they would only get anything from it when they drop ESO+. Of course there was some drama as how could they complain when this is such a good reward for non paying ppl etc. etc.
    Looks like it will be the same this year as somehow ZOS thinks that a pet is good enough as a reward for part of the playerbase. They could just give collector edition of DLC for ESO+ players and it would be a lot better... And it wouldnt be locked behind ESO+ as anyone can buy it anyway if they want.
    Oh well, at least there will be something to read.
    PC/EU @Arthtur

Toxic Tank for the win :x
  • Shadesofkin
    Shadesofkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this that big of a deal, it's a non combat, non utility pet.. Are you mad when your bestie gets something irrelevant, which you don't? You might want to rethink your value system.
    @shadesofkin -NA Server.
    Tier 2 Player.
    MagDK Main forever (even in the bad times)
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Vargr
    Vargr
    ✭✭
    LOL, one thread complains about people without ESO Sub getting free stuff and another thread complains about those who have the ESO Sub getting free stuff.
  • Jamie_Aubrey
    Jamie_Aubrey
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why is it locked behind a Chapter ?
    RETIRED FROM ESO
    PC/EU
    Former Empress & Grand Overlord Vex Valentino
  • FluffyBird
    FluffyBird
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Because it's a chapter promo event
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every event should have things for ESO+ members only.

Why?

ESO+ already gets plenty of benefits for the price paid. There's absolutely no reason to give more.
    (esp since you already get the benefit of having DLC access for those events which are in DLC zones)
    Arthtur wrote: »
    Yeah, year ago in the same event, Deadlands DLC was the secret reward. ESO+ players complained that this isn't a good reward as they would only get anything from it when they drop ESO+. Of course there was some drama as how could they complain when this is such a good reward for non paying ppl etc. etc.

And, of course, "non paying ppl" isn't really accurate, since you have to have paid for the Chapter to participate in the event & get the DLC.
    Edited by Kiralyn2000 on September 30, 2022 12:47AM
  • Jamie_Aubrey
    Jamie_Aubrey
    ✭✭✭✭
    FluffyBird wrote: »

Because it's a chapter promo event

Even with the sale, I'm not giving ZOS anymore of my money, if they want to give me my old account back I'll start spending again
    RETIRED FROM ESO
    PC/EU
    Former Empress & Grand Overlord Vex Valentino
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding
    Staff Post
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Every event should have things for ESO+ members only. We pay to keep the game going on a monthly basis and should get perks during all the events.

It's the same as like DirecTV. I've been a customer since around 98. So near 25 years yet every year new customers get all this stuff free for 3 months while my bill goes up to pay for these new customers. Like [snip]

Considering they are giving everyone a DLC it makes sense they are adding something for ESO+ players. Outside of that, it does not make sense to provide something specific to only ESO+ members.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on October 2, 2022 6:23PM