The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

ugh why couldn't y'all just make a ccg like MTG

eternalshockcable
eternalshockcable
✭✭✭
Genuinely tried to like Tales of Tribute but I played Tales of Tribute and it is critical frightful.

For what reason couldn't you all duplicate a card game format that has been demonstrated to work for quite a long time?

Magic The Gathering has been doing this for quite a long time. That play style fits the universe of ESO.

Also, you might have effectively switched a few things around however kept in a similar configuration.

Or maybe some kind of Pokemon' card battler using creatures and skills from all of ESO. There is so much content passed up here.

For what reason did we get this over complicated game , instead of something of this caliber? that's been proven to work? and a card game with with no combat? Its over convoluted and exhausting simultaneously.

Besides there is so many creatures in ESO and none are in the Tales of Tribute game.

It utilizes a rinse and repeat card hand mechanic system. Like for what reason is that even a thing?

To me simply appears to be absolutely lethargic.

I don't get why you all would not try your best at creating a better card game with a method that has worked?

You might have done some other strategy for a game but this is what was picked?

[snip]

Assuming you want assistance to reshape this game I can give you pointers however this stuff we have now is very much like there is no reasoning of endeavoring.

Once more, I wouldn't battle through that instructional exercise two times. Which I would like a "skip tutorial" function. That's not even in there either.

Pros:

nice graphics

Cons:

[snip]
no combat
no creatures
rinse and repeat mechanics
no sense of reasoning as to why we're even playing
linear path at winning meaning only one avenue to arrive at a win

overall: 4/10

[edited for bashing]
Edited by ZOS_Icy on September 19, 2022 6:21PM
  • Skvysh
    Skvysh
    ✭✭✭
    For what reason couldn't you all duplicate a card game format that has been demonstrated to work for quite a long time?

Deck builders have been "demonstrated to work" since 2008.
  • eternalshockcable
    eternalshockcable
    ✭✭✭
    Skvysh wrote: »

Tales of Tribute is not a "Deck Builder" game its decks are preconstructed .
  • Heartrage
    Heartrage
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You build your deck during the game. That’s what a deck building card game is. What you describe is a ccg.
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Thanks for the feedback, @eternalshockcable.

It's perfectly fine to not like or resonate with Tales of Tribute. While we hope everyone has a chance to play and like it, we understand that not everyone well. However, the dev team made the card game that they wanted to make. And we're all proud of the work that they've done. They didn't want to make a CCG clone, but rather a unique experience for Tamriel. All of those other card games mentioned are available to play elsewhere to play if that's what players prefer. I'm an avid player of MTG myself.

And to address the deck builder part, the game itself is building an optimized deck as you play to beat your opponent. The optimized deck is built from of the preconstructed decks selected at the beginning of the match. Not deck building like in other established card games, but still deck building.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Genuinely tried to like Tales of Tribute but I played Tales of Tribute and it is critical frightful.

Bethesda DID make such a card game. It is called The Elder Scrolls: Legends and for various reasons the game seems to have failed as there hasn't been further development on the game in quite some time.
    Don't tank

"In future content we will probably adjust this model somewhat (The BOP model). It's definitely nice to be able to find a cool item that you don't need and trade it to someone who can't wait to get their hands on it." - Wrobel
  • kevkj
    kevkj
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Kevin For what it's worth, I greatly appreciate the non customizable deck aspect of Tales of Tribute. A lot of people expected Magic, but it's not. I'm not sure if the comparison was initially made by someone from ZOS, but I do know a lot of content creators early on referenced Magic and that might have hurt perceptions.

For any of the naysayers, it's perfectly fine to dislike the game but to claim that ToT has no similarity to existing deck builders exposes your own lack of experience with the genre. Dominion is a very popular game in the tabletop scene while the lesser known Star Realms is incredibly similar to ToT aside from thematic differences.
  • Skvysh
    Skvysh
    ✭✭✭

Deck builder, as a game genre/mechanic, definition.
  • eternalshockcable
    eternalshockcable
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback, @eternalshockcable.

It's perfectly fine to not like or resonate with Tales of Tribute. While we hope everyone has a chance to play and like it, we understand that not everyone well. However, the dev team made the card game that they wanted to make. And we're all proud of the work that they've done. They didn't want to make a CCG clone, but rather a unique experience for Tamriel. All of those other card games mentioned are available to play elsewhere to play if that's what players prefer. I'm an avid player of MTG myself.

And to address the deck builder part, the game itself is building an optimized deck as you play to beat your opponent. The optimized deck is built from of the preconstructed decks selected at the beginning of the match. Not deck building like in other established card games, but still deck building.

Thanks Kevin. My take its from the 1st time playthrough experience.
    I do hope in the future we could get a hardcore CCG within ESO. There is so much content that could be tapped into bring one within the game.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »

To add on to that, deck building games in this fashion have been around for a while now. This one is a little simpler but still a whole lot of fun!