The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Matching race, class, and lore

KestrelFive
I have four characters that I’m trying to find a good race/lore match for the class. I’m taking gameplay into consideration but its not the end-all.

Magicka Dragonknight - Dunmer or Breton
Magicka Sorcerer - Altmer or Dunmer
Stamina Sorcerer - Dunmer or Khajiit

And a bonus: a Magicka Necromancer healer

I’d ideally like to have one of each race for variety. Welcome your thoughts on which combo might be fitting both from a lore and gameplay perspective!
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on August 30, 2022 1:58AM
  • Galiferno
    Galiferno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    for DK, I'd say any race that had a big presence in the Akaviri Potentate would be the best fit. Even Khajiit would work because of the Akaviri present in Eslweyr. But overall I'd say Imperial makes the most sense if you had to pick one. For templars, who derive their powers from the Apologist of Men, I would say Breton makes the most sense for magplar and Imperial or Nord for stamplar.
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think any class works for any race, really. Out of this list I think the only class that has a race attached to it is DK like @Galiferno mentioned as DKs use the magic of the Tsaesci. An Imperial may have Tsaesci ancestry or a member of any race may be a scholar.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • ice34697
    ice34697
    ✭✭✭
    Bosmer is a really good choice for any class that you're using a bow on. Given their natural archery skills, their ability with a dagger, and their cunning, I saw it only right to make my Stamina Nightblade a Bosmer.
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding
    Staff Post
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are my recommendations for the races that you haven't mentioned yet.

Bosmer are good as stamina Wardens because of the animal companions, but the Nightblade's stealth fits them just as well. Considering that one of the NB's core skills is firing a bow, you can't go wrong with Bosmer NB.

It's difficult to place Orcs because your standard Orc doesn't really use magic but all the classes do. I made my Orc a stamina Necromancer because I felt that was the most appropriate choice, but an Orc who has integrated into greater society can really be any class. I just liked the thought of matching the outcast race with the outcast class.

Argonians make for great magicka Nightblades in terms of lore and gameplay-wise I enjoy my "potion addict" Argonian NB tank which is pretty fun. In older games Argonians had a bonus to spear use and their racial passives assist with healing, so Argonian templar is a good match as well.

Thematically Imperials work well on any class really but if I had to exclude one it would be Wardens for not being "civilized" enough.

Bretons make for great Templars but they too work well on any class theme-wise, even Wardens if you want to lean into the Wyrd/Druid/Reachmen fantasy a bit.

Although there is nothing that says Nords are good at using ice magic, it suits them well thematically, so I made my magicka Warden a Nord. The combination reminds me of the Skaal. Stamina/Tank Dragonknights are also a neat pick, because dragons.

Redguards in my opinion are the best choice for stamina sorcerer theme-wise. The reliance on weapon skills on that spec is a plus for the Redguard fantasy, because you are the ultimate blademaster.

Most of it boils down to who your character is. You can justify every class-race combination with the right backstory, even Redguard Necromancers.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • KestrelFive
    Thanks for the replies everyone!

So for magicka sorcerer, I’m torn between a Dunmer Telvanni magister or an Altmer conjugation practitioner. I feel like both fit.

As for MagDK, I’m leaning Breton for their in-game Magicka regen bonuses, and I feel like it *can* work lore-wise, even if its not as ideal as Imperial. Perhaps a Breton who served in the Imperial army under the Potentates?
  • Amphithoe
    Amphithoe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My main is a Bosmer Stamden, going with the Wayward Guardian and Stags of Z'en motif styles. I really love playing into lore when making my characters, even trying to fit the item sets to the background/class of my characters.

It usually means my builds are always off-meta and not very useful in endgame, which is a shame but I can live with it.

I'm really glad to see other people thinking similarly when creating characters instead of just mid-maxing everything.
    Edited by Amphithoe on August 30, 2022 2:21PM
    Guildmaster: School of Julianos