The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Possible controller Conflict

Tornaad
Tornaad
✭✭✭✭✭
I play on the PC NA server and my game is through Steam.
I use an Xbox one controller as for me, that is easier to use.
It is only intermittently, but when I log out of ESO my mouse curser starts to move on its own. The only way to stop it from moving is to unplug the controller.
The same thing happens when I connect wirelessly, and I have tried multiple controller all with the same effect.
I have not noticed any pattern to what causes it.
I have already (on multiple occasions) tried both repairing and reinstalling the controller drivers. I have already tried Steam's controller alignment to see if it was perhaps a steam problem. Right now, I am out of ideas. This has been going on for quite some time (possibly longer than a year). It is not debilitating and easy to patch. I would just like to figure out how to stop it and I am out of other ideas.
Edited by ZOS_Bill on August 30, 2022 1:43PM
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Zuboko

Do you have a different controller you can try testing with?
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_Bill wrote: »
    @Zuboko

Do you have a different controller you can try testing with?
    @ZOS_Bill
    I've tried with several different controllers (all brand name x-box controllers)
    It does not always happen, which makes testing rather hard.
    This has been happening since before the bug that prevented certain people from being able to log in (ticket # 220330-001228) wherein I completely reinstalled my operating system, reformatted my hard drive, and then installed ESO brand new.
    The only other game I play that has controller support is Skyrim, and have never seen it happen after I play Skyrim. To be fair though, right now, I do not play Skyrim enough to be confident that it will never happen, as it does not happen every time.
    I so far, I have tried on 3 separate controllers, and ran through the same barrage of tests on each one. (I work in tech support for a home security company) I do not think it is related to the controller.
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the past two weeks, I have been running a test, where I have switched from wireless connection to wired connection, which leaves the controller connected (and powered on) to the computer more, trying to see if I can see the problem happen at any other time and so far, the only time I have been able to see it occur, is after leaving ESO, or when trying to click out of the game while playing ESO.
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just had another idea for testing and troubleshooting.
    I normally run ESO in windowed full screen, then I can more easily navigate out of the game temporarily when the need arises. As the mouse moving also happens occasionally, when I try to do that, (with the same quick fix of unplugging or turning off the controller) what if the problem is caused by a conflict between how ESO handles the controller and the windowed full screen modes?
    Unless someone at ZoS has a better idea, I will run this for a few weeks and see if the problem goes away and report back witch results either way.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Zuboko

Please keep us updated on how your testing goes and if you can determine the root cause.
    Staff Post
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The same glitch of the mouse moving after exiting the game when using the controller (with the same patch) still occurs when you are running in full screen mode versus windowed full screen.
    Now I'm definitely out of ideas.
    If there is any help that could be offered, it would be great.
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And one odd thing that happened this time is that when I exited ESO, I found that the excel window that was opened in the background (I played ESO on my 15 at work harvesting surveys and completing one harrow storm) was shrunk down to an insain level. This is a reproduction of its size. I believe that more of the menu was originally visible. I do not know if that has anything to do with the glitch or not. tnrn5bbbmcdf.jpg
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When logging on for a quick tot match it happened again, the Excel document I had running in the background was micro-sized (picture below) and the cursor started moving on its own. Here is the picture of what the Excell document looked like.
    a4ea28ldtl6w.jpg
    If there is a connection with Excel being made smaller and the mouse cursor moving on its own, then the best guess I have is that for some reason the screen thinks it has its size adjusted when logging out of ESO, which makes things like Excel shrink.

What is confusing is why it is targeting Excel. I had several windows open, but only Excel was targeted. And that is in the middle of my desktop, not on my taskbar.
    Edited by Tornaad on August 20, 2022 12:04AM
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Found a driver update for my video card. Updated that.
    Remembered, that I still had the wireless adapter for the Xbox controller plugged into my computer and unplugged it.
    Will keep you appraised at what happens.
  • Hämähäkki
    Hämähäkki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you try to use ds4windows? That's a little program I use for playing eso, because I like to play with an ps4 controller. But I believe you can also use it with an Xbox controller.
    TherealHämähäkki
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not. Windows has native support for the Xbox controller when you connect to it. If you want to connect it wirelessly, then you need a wireless adapter, but that is it.
  • Hämähäkki
    Hämähäkki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zuboko wrote: »
    I do not. Windows has native support for the Xbox controller when you connect to it. If you want to connect it wirelessly, then you need a wireless adapter, but that is it.

Yeah I know, but I thought maybe you could trick your pc to thing you use an ps4 controller even though you are not. Does that make sense 😅. This way you could test if it's your controller or something else that causes the problem.
    I hope you're getting what I am trying to say.
    TherealHämähäkki
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zuboko wrote: »

Yeah I know, but I thought maybe you could trick your pc to thing you use an ps4 controller even though you are not. Does that make sense 😅. This way you could test if it's your controller or something else that causes the problem.
    I hope you're getting what I am trying to say.

I think before I dive down that kind of path, I would like to know more about what is actually causing it. I'll keep the idea in mind though thank you for the suggestion.
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still happening.
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The curser moving on its own is still happening intermittently, and for some reason Excel windows are being shrunk down. I have 12 different windows open right now (along with 19 separate tabs in Chrome and 6 in Edge) and no other program is ever affected like Excel is.
    r73gpiyztou0.jpg
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Found a firmware update for the controller. Applying it now. Will post updates as needed here.
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same thing happened. ESO was in windowed full screen. I will try again in full screen mode.
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I might have just had a series of controllers that were all going bad. The main one I normally use started to randomly disconnect, so I pulled out one I rarely used and have not had any problems since.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    Thank you for the update on this controller issue. Since the issue looks to be resolved by switching controllers, we will go ahead and close this thread going forward.
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.