The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Consumables crafting need some buffs.

drsalvation
drsalvation
✭✭✭✭✭
I'm not talking about drinks and meals or potions, but rather how we craft them:

Cooking food and drinks
The fact that most food recipes require style materials and alchemy reagents seems wrong. Really wrong.

We have an awful lot of stacks of ingredients we never really use because the best dishes require alchemy reagents, I never know if I should try to make potions with powdered mother of pearl, or save them for food... which always ends up with me using that alchemical reagent for meals and make other potions without said reagent.

I don't think many of us think that food ingredients should make 100% sense, so I think food crafting should require us to make use of most of our base ingredients instead.

I thought about this when reading the skyrim cookbook in real life, they mention how to make imperial spices, nord spices, etc, which is a combination of several types of herbs and spices. And subsequent recipes don't say every ingredient you need, it says you need imperial spices and other ingredients.
I think cooking in this game could do something similar, where advanced recipes require you to cook other 'ingredients' first using base ingredients and refine/cook them to higher quality ingredients instead.

For example, Ozorga's triple trifle pocket requires guts, columbine, beets and white meat (1 is a fishing bait and the other an alchemical reagent)
So why not make it imperial spiced red meat, nord herbs, beets and white meat:
Imperial spiced red meat requires spices, red meat, Jasmine, and Honey.
Nord herbs require spices, rose, yerba mate, and comberry.

Now we'd be using other ingredients to create advanced ingredients to create better meals.
Heck, we can even use basic meals... like, in the same example above, instead of requiring white meat, we can require tarragon chicken.

And this might be a longer shot, but for QoL for people who just want to select a recipe and craft, there could be an auto-create where in order to make the main meal, it will automatically create the other ingredients.

Or if we just want to simplify everything without adding more ingredients, why not just make that same recipe require each individual ingredient:
red meat, spices, jasmine, honey, rose, yerba mate, comberry, white meat, and beets (it would make the screen look cluttered tho).

Potions
I think potion effectiveness should affect the cooldown timer.
The base duration is 45 second cooldown, or down to 25 if using traits.
Maybe a basic stamina potion that only restores stamina could have a base 20 second cooldown (or 10 if using traits), a potion with 2 different stats have a 32 second cooldown (or 17 if using traits), and 3 different stats would have a 45 second cooldown (25 with traits)

Often times we get lots of basic potions we never really use, not even at low-levels because of all the tri-stat potions we get for free just for logging in one day, and using a potion that only restores one resource would have the same cooldown as one with 3 stats.

And for potions with negative effects, I think there should be a rework regarding the snakeblood perk. It shouldn't reduce the time the nerf remains active, but rather the intensity of the nerf (instead of taking 4000 armor loss, for half the potion's duration, it could do 2000 armor loss for the whole duration, and that's an example with no real values). It would make it more interactive with the sustained by suffering CP perk as well and make alchemy builds more dynamic and enticing.

Or in an alternative manner, negative effects on potions could also reduce potion cooldowns. It's very easy to make potions with no negative stats (they're only there to make sure we don't make potions that restore our health, stamina and increase weapon damage). So why not give an incentive to add a little toxicity to potions for strategic advantage? Like, chug a potion that damages armor and restores health and you'll be able to chug another potion sooner than if you did a potion with tri-stat recovery.

Sets like clever alchemist or iron flask wouldn't necessarily be affected, they have their own cooldown.

I'm ok with enchanting crafting.
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on June 27, 2022 11:06PM
  • EozZoe1989
    EozZoe1989
    ✭✭✭
    NEED MORE asult drinks and stuff in the game that make toon drunk lol
  • BenevolentBowd
    BenevolentBowd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's some historical context to provide some background on the anomalies.

The provisioning system was overhauled around the time of One Tamriel.

The theme of the provisioning system at that time was that it would attempt to be lore based and reflect the cultures of each faction.

Each faction had their own set of recipes and ingredients and this is why there are 3 recipes for every level and provisioning category.

The other leftover from this era is that the first three provisioning writs vary between factions.

The inclusion of alchemy and fishing reagents in Wrothgar were likely along the lore theme. They kind of mirror the items you were asked to collect to make the Orc specialties.

Edited by BenevolentBowd on June 25, 2022 6:26AM
    Megaservers: PC NA / EU (sometimes) Xbox NA (sometimes)
    Luxury Furniture Gallery [PC/NA]: Moon-Sugar Meadow
    Website:BenevolentBowd.ca, "Sharing My Notes With the World to Help Others"
    Charity:#GivingTheNewMeta
    ESO Calendarmancer: http://benevolentbowd.ca/calendar (10+ timezones to choose from)
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/BenevolentBowd
    #TeamStackableTreasureMaps
  • BenevolentBowd
    BenevolentBowd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EozZoe1989 wrote: »
    NEED MORE asult drinks and stuff in the game that make toon drunk lol

If I recall, there is only one item that will make your character drunk. I can't recall the specific name but it was something you could buy from the New Life Merchants hidden in plain sight. Hehe.

Megaservers: PC NA / EU (sometimes) Xbox NA (sometimes)
    Luxury Furniture Gallery [PC/NA]: Moon-Sugar Meadow
    Website:BenevolentBowd.ca, "Sharing My Notes With the World to Help Others"
    Charity:#GivingTheNewMeta
    ESO Calendarmancer: http://benevolentbowd.ca/calendar (10+ timezones to choose from)
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/BenevolentBowd
    #TeamStackableTreasureMaps
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I recall, there is only one item that will make your character drunk. I can't recall the specific name but it was something you could buy from the New Life Merchants hidden in plain sight. Hehe.

Sailor's Warning Festival Grog. It's bugged, though, there's no "drunk" effect anymore, so they're completely useless now. I always use the rest I still have - got masses of them as they have been in festival crates too in the first year - if there's a daily endeavor about "drinking 3 drinks" or something like that.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • drsalvation
    drsalvation
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fair enough.
    I still think there should be some more variety on alchemy potions tho...
    Potions that reduce sneak cost for a limited time, or that improve your chances at forcing locks, or that temporarily highlight traps in dungeons akin to when you're sneaking... you know, things that aren't necessarily combat-based.
    It feels like both have potential to be used more within the exploration aspect of the game and not purely for combat advantages, but that's some potential going to waste in my opinion.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think rather than new recipes, we should be able to upgrade dishes to mythic quality using a vendor and the other less used provisioning ingredients. Mythic Quality recipes would have longer durations, or new minor bonus effects, or maybe very small stat buffs. Not enough that you had to use them, but something to make it worthwhile to use if you had the extra mats.
  • drsalvation
    drsalvation
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly I'd take any idea that would require us using every ingredient available instead of stacking thousands of Rose which we will never see again.
    There are so many recipes and we only use like 3 as the most useful one and maybe like another 3 for niche uses, including vampire drinks (which need to be fixed too, the corrupting bloody mara adds 500 health recovery and sets you to stage 4... stage 4 means 0% health recovery... why?? Was it a sick joke, or did they really not think about it?)

I actually like the idea of upgrading recipes, make black coffee be as effective as a dubious camoran throne
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not. Never have been.

Enchanting used to be one of the coolest aspect of TES. You trap an enemies soul and bind it to your gear.
    ESO's enchanting is completely out of place for the franchise. Yet you still have to recharge your enchantment with filled soul gems, which has no relation to the whole "runes and glyphs" thing, but shows that they had parts of the correct system working. Enchanting tables also still feature soul gems, and we had different levels of soul gems in the beginning.

If it were up to me, they should put the axe to the whole thing.
    * Crafting nodes now drop different grades of soul gem dust, which has to be refined to soul gems. This takes the place of Potency runes.
    * You need to trap a soul into the gem (up to final dungeon boss level for grand souls). This determines the quality and would be aspect runes now.
    * Enchantments are learned via researching, like traits for gear crafting. These don't require additional items and would replace Essence runes.

It's not perfect, but a reasonable compromise.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    All of crafting needs a rework. It's annoying that both of the two most used armor weights use the same improvement items.

Alchemy will either be broken or worthless when hybridization is done.

Provisioning is highly redundant.

Enchanting is to the point that any glyphs that are not purple ot gold are worthless. Except TA... White glyphs get eaten in writs making jejota the most useless improvement item in the game.

All equipment still scales to cp 160 which tbh is a really useless measure and legacy standard...

Furniture requires so much of everything that it is driving players insane...
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
  • drsalvation
    drsalvation
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »

I'm not. Never have been.

Enchanting used to be one of the coolest aspect of TES. You trap an enemies soul and bind it to your gear.
    ESO's enchanting is completely out of place for the franchise. Yet you still have to recharge your enchantment with filled soul gems, which has no relation to the whole "runes and glyphs" thing, but shows that they had parts of the correct system working. Enchanting tables also still feature soul gems, and we had different levels of soul gems in the beginning.

If it were up to me, they should put the axe to the whole thing.
    * Crafting nodes now drop different grades of soul gem dust, which has to be refined to soul gems. This takes the place of Potency runes.
    * You need to trap a soul into the gem (up to final dungeon boss level for grand souls). This determines the quality and would be aspect runes now.
    * Enchantments are learned via researching, like traits for gear crafting. These don't require additional items and would replace Essence runes.

It's not perfect, but a reasonable compromise.

I meant I was ok in terms of how we use the runes. Only ones that become deprecated are for gear levels, every other rune is useful at end-game (low level rarity runes for discovering new effects and writs, high level rarity runes for builds).

But yeah, I like your idea a lot more, I think most crafting should use an entire re-work, but I'm also trying to keep it within what the game already has implemented.
    I think instead of replacing potency runes, they could be powered up by the soul gems you capture (you still harvest them from resource nodes).

In the end of it all, I'm just wanting more from alchemy and provisioning...
    Give some good reasons to actually use single-trait potions instead of them just becoming garbage to sell, with one-trait having lower cooldown timers than tri-stat, and having reasons to use alchemy outside of combat,
    and make provisioning make use of all of our countless ingredients which we don't use because the other ingredients are runestones, styles materials and alchemical reagents
    Edited by drsalvation on June 29, 2022 10:55PM
  • Aelorin
    Aelorin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello OP,

I agree with you.

To add on further on your idea, wouldn' it be fun if we could make some alchemic bombs which could be thrown as AoE ?
    And so the Elder Scrolls foretold.You will be shy, and I will be bold.
  • drsalvation
    drsalvation
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    daaang, it never occurred to me the possibility of crafting bombs, that would be a big gamechanger, like quick slotting them and using them like a ground AoE skill or something that could be used to damage walls (even if it's just 0.1 of what a seige weapon does)
    The cooldown would definitely be needed before using them again (either that, or making them do minor effects, I'd rather have the cooldown on effective bombs).

Like, making throwable bombs or placeable traps, where traps will stay in the world for like 45 seconds, the duration of the trap cooldown so players can only place one at a time (like an alchemical version of volcanic rune or trap beast).

Even if the traps also have a cooldown on potions (even if it doesn't make sense in terms of immersion, but just for the sake of gameplay balance)