The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

DB - One of our own

kypranb14_ESO
kypranb14_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
So something an important NPC said during the Blackwood quest just prompted a question I couldn't find an answer to after a quick google search.

Would the Dark Brotherhood accept a contract on one of it's own members? I'm sure conditionally they would, like on a rogue member. But what if an active successful member of the Dark Brotherhood had a contract requested on them? If anyone has a link to lore-info that would help answer this I would be really grateful!
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on May 31, 2022 1:50AM
  • vincentxavier
    vincentxavier
    ✭✭✭
    That's an interesting question. If you find an answer, please share it with the rest of the class.
    PS NA
  • Finedaible
    Finedaible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    One of the Five Tenets the Dark Brotherhood abides by is to not kill a fellow brother or sister lest they incur the wrath of Sithis so the possibility of a Dark Brotherhood member receiving a contract against them is unlikely imo. However, this tenet seems to be lifted during a Purification, which is something that can only be mandated by the Black Hand. If you've played through the Gold Coast questline you will know that the tenets are not something to be taken lightly.
  • Troodon80
    Troodon80
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't think of a single instance where a contract would be wilfully/knowingly (as in, not a trick) placed on one of the Dark Brotherhood's members. They deal with rouge members or rouge sanctuaries with "Purifications," Oblivion's Dark Brotherhood questline is probably the best example of it.
    However, Ungolim and Lechance are seemingly proof that members don't question contracts, whether that's because of compartmentalisation or simply not caring or knowing (in Oblivion, the main character couldn't have known who they were killing and the dead drops were replaced by the traitor meaning they weren't legitimate). 🤔

The fifth tenet also states that you must not kill another member (Brother or Sister). So my guess is: No. The only way in which a contract would likely be accepted is if the member in question was ousted from the guild.

@Troodon80 PC | EU
    Guild: N&S
    Hand of Alkosh | Dawnbringer | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Gryphon Heart
    Deep Dive into Dreadsail Reef Mechanics
  • kypranb14_ESO
    kypranb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys, that clears that up!
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

This thread has been moved to the Players Helping Players section, as it is better suited there.

Thanks
    Staff Post