The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

For all those wanting to do vet content...

Triplesixtyson
Triplesixtyson
✭✭✭
Do it.

Let me explain myself further. When I say "do it", I mean that in the nicest way possible. Not in the sense of "just do it because its so easy!" This is not inteneded to be a negative post, so please read what I have to say.

Ive only been playing this game for 6 months, so im speaking from my personal experiences and the opinions that they have formed.

This game is awesome. Ive played MMORPGS for 20+ years, and i can truely say this is top 3 for me. My playstyle has and always will be aimed at the top tier/high end content but thats just me, I appreciate and respect all playstyles, its what makes this game more then just a game for many of us. The ability to play how you want and enjoy doing it, its great.

So onto the topic at hand; players wanting to do vet content but dont. Why is this happening? For many reasons, yes, but there is one that continues to stick out like a sore thumb. Its players being scared, period.

So I asked myself; why are players scared to try content that they actually want to experience? And its quite simple, they're scared to fail, scared to let the team down, scared of being berated and told they arent good enough. All very valid reasons for avoiding doing something. Who wants to play a game thats supposed to be fun feeling scared of what might happen if they fail? Well, no one.

For me, I went from level 1 to 1800, doing everything I wanted to do and never felt scared or intimidated. Thats not to say I didnt have my share of bad apples telling me im too low cp or im not good enough, I did. I took it with a grain of salt, tried to improve and refused to let anyone hinder my experience.

But as ive put more time in the game im realizing this gap between players. Im realizing not everyone who wants to do vet content is of the same mindset as me. I can see how even one bad experience can completely turn a player off from doing something they actually want to do and simply, I hate it.

Last night I had a guildy, one who falls into the category of wanting to do vet content but doesnt, specifically DLC dungeons. We started off doing regular vet dungeons and by the end of the night we beat vet Red Petal. Was his dps lower and did he die a few times? Yes. But throughout the night I could see him learning mechanics and really enjoying himself. No pressure, no berating no belittling. What we had was someone who was scared to fail but more then anything still wanted to experience the content. By said player explaining his situation to me, I was easily able to help him achieve his goal and we had an absolute blast doing it.

Now if he never told me the reasons why he was avoiding this content I would never have known and therefore am unable to help in any way. Ive found that the truely good players want to help more then most might think. My best experiences and the best people ive met on this game have come from Q'ing random vet dungeons. I would always let the group know im still learning the zone and any tips are welcome. This lead to me meeting so many amazing people who love helping other players and seeing them succeed.

So if what im saying seems easier said then done, it is. I fully understand that not every experience will be a good one. I understand that once is enough to deter/discourage players. So, what I want to get accross is we need to all work together in a positive manner.

There are so many great players out there wanting to share their knowledge, lots of the time we just have to ask. Dont be scared. I wouldnt be here having had this great experience if it wasnt for those people. Please dont allow the guy thats played for years smashing through dungeons expecting everyone to be on the same level affect your experience and what you choose to do with your precious game time. I honestly feel that a large portion of the player base is good people with similar goals in mind; having fun!

Its sad that the few bad ones stand out and have such a significant impact on other players.

What do you guys think? What can be done to negate these issues and bridge the gap? Im looking forward to any input the community has on this topic.

Note:
This post was not intended for those who go into vet content completely unprepared or for those who want to be carried. You are a part of the problem.

Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on May 15, 2022 9:00PM
  • Grandchamp1989
    Grandchamp1989
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting OP, appreciate your outlook and sharing your experience.

Respectfully, I can't say much of it has been my experience though.

In my experience I see a lot of low level people jumping into vet content, as soon as they're able, often not being very prepared for what they face. Results can.. vary.

I agree in hoping fear is not a factor but personly I don't mind a prepared mindset myself (gear, mechs etc).

my 2 cents.
  • Triplesixtyson
    Triplesixtyson
    ✭✭✭
    I went into vet content early, but fully prepared gear wise and with knowledge of mechanics. I couldnt have done anymore to prepare, I just needed people to give me a chance.

This post was not intended for those who go into vet content completely unprepared or for those who want to be carried.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to be prepared before entering vet content. You'll have a more pleasant experience and your group mates will enjoy it more too. It's great if some guildmate wants to show you something, and you want to learn. But I think most people who don't feel they are ready, are making accurate assessments based off their power level and don't want to be carried or instructed. And there's nothing wrong with that.
  • Triplesixtyson
    Triplesixtyson
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately its hard for anyone to make an "accurate assessment" of their skill level when they are basing that assessment off of one, or a small handfull of bad experiences. I cant tell you how many people ive met the last couple months fully capable and wanting to do vet content but are way too scared. Its a shame and I wish things werent so black and white for some players.
    Edited by Triplesixtyson on May 13, 2022 7:55PM
  • Agenericname
    Agenericname
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I enjoy them. Im fact, its easily some of my favorite content in the game. I usually queue with a friend for the random vet, then the vet DLC if it wasnt the random.

My experiences have been mostly positive, especially in the vet DLCs. I have met a few bad apples, but they seem less common. Ive met a lot of good players that were really friendly there. Thats probably half of my friends list.

My advice would be, if youre new to it, say so at the beginning. Damage is so high now, one strong DD and a solid tank can carry most dungeons. Unless its coincidentally a pledge, theres no real need to do the HM unless you wanna have some fun, so its not usually a big deal. I wouldnt personally give anyone a hard time, but I also cant speak for everyone. If someone does, and they eventually will, shrug off anything that wasnt useful information and move on.

That said, I do think that the expectations are a bit higher, especially when you get into the DLCs. I wish that ZOS would communicate the difficulty spike between FG1 and SG a little better than simply putting a 300CP requirement on them.

• merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, jump into vet, but do know you're going to run into some not so great people in randoms. If you're under CP 500, more often than not, people in the group will either leave or vote to kick. It's not great in that regard. But you'll eventually run into good people that will help you through, and if you specifically queue for easier dungeons first, you're less likely to get kicked or abandoned by your party, but don't be discouraged if you get some not-so-great groups in random pugs.

It's better to run with a guild, but you can't always do that.
    Edited by merpins on May 13, 2022 10:09PM
  • Supreme_Atromancer
    Supreme_Atromancer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great post, its really good to encounter such a positive outlook.

I get what you're saying too, but its a fundamental principle that it doesn't take many negative experiences with jackwads to make the association in your mind a negative or anxiety-driving one. Few of even the most resilient or thick-skinned MMO-types feel good when being BMed; the threshold is going to be far less for someone new to the genre.

I agree with your general message. Hard content is just plain fun. With the right group, its just an un-comparable experience. It should be for everyone willing to have a go.

But I do think there is some onus on the community. The sheer scope of the impact that those jackwads can have on the experience of so many other people lead me to wish there was a zero-tolerance attitude to it.
  • captainwolfos
    captainwolfos
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't do vet content because I don't want to have to interact with other people. Period.

I'm currently sitting at just over 1,700 CP and have never done any vet content, and have only done normal dungeons from vanilla ESO that can be soloed -- and even then only recently -- to get them marked off my map.

I have anxiety IRL, and don't want to have to rely on, or be relied on by other people. I'm also unable to sit at my desk to play for very long before I'm called away to do something, often to the point of being kicked for inactivity. Waiting on someone like me in dungeons wouldn't be fun for anyone.

So I just don't.
    Enemy of Boob Plates
    For the Covenant! For the High King!
    Solo Player | PVEer | Not caring about PVP since 1992
    Spill some blood for me, dear brother
  • Bealeb319
    Bealeb319
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you went from 1 to 1800 cp in six months you must have had plenty of time to play and learn that not everyone has the luxury of doing
  • LoneStar2911
    LoneStar2911
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bealeb319 wrote: »
    If you went from 1 to 1800 cp in six months you must have had plenty of time to play and learn that not everyone has the luxury of doing

Right? Them going from 1 to 1800 cp in 6 months makes me feel like crap with my 1400 cp when I’ve played on and off for years and actually take some time to grind xp occasionally.
    So, you do you, OP. I’ll stay away from vet content unless I’m running with a group of friends.
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

This thread has been moved to the Dungeons, Trials & Arenas section, as it is better suited there.

Thanks
    Staff Post
  • Dem_kitkats1
    Dem_kitkats1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting OP, appreciate your outlook and sharing your experience.

Respectfully, I can't say much of it has been my experience though.

In my experience I see a lot of low level people jumping into vet content, as soon as they're able, often not being very prepared for what they face. Results can.. vary.

I agree in hoping fear is not a factor but personly I don't mind a prepared mindset myself (gear, mechs etc).

my 2 cents.

I understand inexperience can be frustrating for other vet players, but that's what you sign up for in PUG vet dungeons. The problem is that new players learn very little about mechanics and combat from the normal dungeons. So, IMO they need to do harder content in order to actually identify their strengths and weaknesses in their builds, and as a player. Once players see the difference in difficulties, they can either go back to doing normals until they feel more prepared, or face the challenge straight on as OP did. From my own experience it wasn't until I started actually doing vet content that I began to get better as a player. No amount of doing normal dungeons could have prepared me for harder content, because they're too easy, and vet players handled everything before I could figure out what mechanics were at play.

Many new players are not associated to guilds or are comfortable asking others for help (although they should because players are very helpful in this game), because there are so many things to learn in this game when you're just starting. So oftentimes they are learning on their own, and relying on their groups to help them through the content. If vet players don't want to come across inexperienced, or unprepared players, the burden should fall on them to find their own coordinated groups, or come prepared with the patience to help others. Most of the groups I came across as a new player were very helpful. So, to the players wanting to do harder content, as long as you're trying and willing to take some guidance, most players will be very helpful to you.

So I agree with OP, all those wanting to do harder content, definitely go for it. You'll improve so much as a player, and it'll open up so much more content for you. I've been playing for a few years and I'm still not CP 1800, so don't let having a lower CP than that stop you from doing vet content.

Edited by Dem_kitkats1 on May 16, 2022 4:00PM