The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

RotPO lead not dropping. Am I doing something wrong?

Eira_Rosynhwyr
Eira_Rosynhwyr
✭✭✭
So, I'm camping the Coldrock Diggings Delve boss. For two hours. Just standing there killing and looting. People come up, they get their lead, and they leave. Over and over again. I eventually ask this guy if it was his first try. Yes. People are getting it in one or two kills, yet I'm standing here for 2 hours. I understand there is a degree of RNG, but this is ridiculous. Clearly, I am doing something wrong. What? I'm in the right place because others are getting it. I'm definitely doing enough damage to qualify for loot (I'm basically insta-killing the pack). So what am I doing wrong?
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on May 8, 2022 1:20AM
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Swap to a lower level character (doesn't even need antiquities) and see if that helps. I've had much better luck on very low level characters without antiquities activated for leads like the Moon Pool one etc.
  • RevJJ
    RevJJ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s just bad luck. I finally got my lead for RotWH from Elden Hollow 1 at the same time as completing the full sticker book for that dungeon.

However, what sometimes seems to help is changing characters and trying to get the lead with another one. There’s no logic behind it afaik, but it’s happened multiple times that I tried to get a lead on one character, switched, and then got it quite easily on another one. If it doesn’t help it doesn’t hurt trying right?
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was cursing up a storm when trying to get a lead from trash bosses in Bad Man's Hollow. Finally decided to call it quits for the night and went on to do something else. A while later I was looking at what leads I could do and that one was available. Somewhere in all that running back and forth killing bosses and cursing I received the lead and didn't notice. I'm guessing I might have had the (expletive here) thing before I started the grind.

I'm guessing I might be the only one goofy enough to do this but might not hurt to check.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • Elvenheart
    Elvenheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kargen27 wrote: »
    I was cursing up a storm when trying to get a lead from trash bosses in Bad Man's Hollow. Finally decided to call it quits for the night and went on to do something else. A while later I was looking at what leads I could do and that one was available. Somewhere in all that running back and forth killing bosses and cursing I received the lead and didn't notice. I'm guessing I might have had the (expletive here) thing before I started the grind.

I'm guessing I might be the only one goofy enough to do this but might not hurt to check.

This has happened to me a couple of times 😂

To the OP, for some reason the Gods of Random Drops have decided that you just haven’t suffered enough. Have you tended your altar to them lately? Also, how long has it been since you had gotten another lead before trying for this one? I’ve always wondered if there’s a built-in hidden timer on how often we can get leads. Good luck!

PS - If you don’t like the concept of Gods of Random Drops, you can call them something else - in this day and age, They seem to particularly like Individual External Manifestations of the Collective Unconscious 😇
    Edited by Elvenheart on May 8, 2022 1:17AM
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

This thread has been moved to the Players Helping Players section, as it is better suited there.

Thanks
    Staff Post
  • Eira_Rosynhwyr
    Eira_Rosynhwyr
    ✭✭✭

I checked that. No, I don't have the lead.

• Eira_Rosynhwyr
    Eira_Rosynhwyr
    ✭✭✭
    Elvenheart wrote: »

This has happened to me a couple of times 😂

To the OP, for some reason the Gods of Random Drops have decided that you just haven’t suffered enough. Have you tended your altar to them lately? Also, how long has it been since you had gotten another lead before trying for this one? I’ve always wondered if there’s a built-in hidden timer on how often we can get leads. Good luck!

PS - If you don’t like the concept of Gods of Random Drops, you can call them something else - in this day and age, They seem to particularly like Individual External Manifestations of the Collective Unconscious 😇

If I cared, enough, I could probably compute how unlikely it is for me to have taking this long when everyone else is just coming and going. I had two semesters of Prob & Stats as part of a math major, and I haven't used it, so it may be time to change that. However, I hate states. That said, without actually breaking out my textbook I do feel that this is either a 1:1M type outlier, I've encountered a bug, or I'm doing something wrong. I really don't think it's RNG.
  • buttaface
    buttaface
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    2 hours? Don't worry or think it might be a bug until at least twice that time spent. Have helped several folks waiting for that lead, and results vary. One thing I believe after enduring the ... "pro design choice" of the placement of the Bad Man Hollow leads is that instantly vaporized mobs seem to drop less, and that you get more drops when teamed. So in Coldrock Diggings, maybe try a team, or just one other person, and ask the others waiting there not to vaporize the three mini bosses too quickly.