The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Fetch a Fair Fetching Price?

• SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marto wrote: »
    It's just a play on words. A joke.

[snip]

Right, a play on words, which is something people do a lot in the real world. And most people don't speak "textbook English" (or whatever their native language is) anyway.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on May 1, 2022 4:24PM
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • EozZoe1989
    EozZoe1989
    ✭✭✭
    WELL SHES PERFECT FOR ME THEN LOL iam feching feching fech.. lol
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »

[snip]

Right, a play on words, which is something people do a lot in the real world. And most people don't speak "textbook English" (or whatever their native language is) anyway.

I can't recall many instances of this "in the real world" though some probably do exist. The ones in this thread are quite contrived, at least in today's world.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on May 1, 2022 4:28PM
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plays on words are actually very prevalent in my gaming communities. So I tend to recognize, acknowledge and enjoy them personally.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »

[snip]

I can't recall many instances of this "in the real world" though some probably do exist. The ones in this thread are quite contrived, at least in today's world.

They (plays on words) do exist and we call them puns. The examples in this thread aren't so much a play on words as they are using one word as both a verb and an adverb or verb and noun.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on May 1, 2022 4:29PM
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, my friends/family and I make comments about or involving strange & silly words & phrases all the time. Like average, everyday people do. /shrug

Really not understanding why this minor, completely normal thing, was worth this much discussion.

(and really, this game is full of little jokes stuck into dialogue in various places. It's nothing new.)
  • propertyOfUndefined
    propertyOfUndefined
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    “Fetch” is the dunmer F word from my understanding. When blastbones explodes, Miri yells “Fetch! Fetch!! Feeetch!!!”
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

[snip]

[snip]

[snip]

Didn’t you also think a dark elf was calling you Sarah when he used the word “sera”? There’s not a dictionary for these words that I know of but you can infer the meaning of them from context.

[edited for minor baiting & to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on May 1, 2022 4:22PM
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Djennku
    Djennku
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kisakee wrote: »
    Maybe i don't get it as english isn't my native language but for me it just sounds like "catching a fair and appealing price" on something.

You shouldn't repeat the same word twice in a sentence in English.

The same word can have different meanings and that's actually the case (as far as i understand it). Sure, they could have used other words but is this really such a big deal?

It is still bad English and would have been rejected by all the editors I have written for over the years (for publication when that still happened).

It is just annoying. Posting a note about it here won't change anything, but is relatively harmless and this thread will soon fade.

If you disagree, please note an example of good English where a word is repeated in the same sentence? Find an example in a writing Style book as well.

Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo. (Translation: Bison that bother bison bothering bison that bother other bison.)
    It's a completely grammatically accurate sentence, one of those fun facts I learned awhile back.

EDIT: Also, what's your definition of 'good' English? If you mean proper grammar and sentence structure, both the above sentence and mirri's dialogue apply.
    Edited by Djennku on May 1, 2022 4:13PM
    @Djennku, PCNA.

Grand Master crafter, all styles and all furnishing plans known pre U41.
    Vamp and WW bites available for players.
    Shoot me an in-game mail if you need anything, happy to help!
  • Djennku
    Djennku
    ✭✭✭✭✭

[snip]

[snip]

[snip]

Didn’t you also think a dark elf was calling you Sarah when he used the word “sera”? There’s not a dictionary for these words that I know of but you can infer the meaning of them from context.

There's actually an in game book or piece of writing somewhere detailing all the dark elf words and translations (that or an NPC explains this one). Sera is a term showing respect.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on May 1, 2022 4:23PM
    @Djennku, PCNA.

Grand Master crafter, all styles and all furnishing plans known pre U41.
    Vamp and WW bites available for players.
    Shoot me an in-game mail if you need anything, happy to help!
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings, as we've removed a few non-constructive comments around baiting, please remember that while it’s all right to disagree or even debate with each other, provoking conflict, baiting, inciting, mocking, etc. is never acceptable in the official The Elder Scrolls Online community.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
  • Arunei
    Arunei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @FlopsyPrince
    Again, you're overlooking or ignoring the fact people have pointed out numerous times that "fetch" is the word Dummer use for the F-word. "Fetching" in this way means eff'ing. It has nothing to do with 'bad English' when the race using that term isn't English or even human.
    Character List [RP and PvE]:
    Stands-Against-Death: Argonian Magplar Healer - Crafter
    Krisiel: Redguard Stamsorc DPS - Literally crazy Werewolf, no like legit insane. She nuts
    Kiju Veran: Khajiit Stamblade DPS - Ex-Fighters Guild Suthay who likes to punch things, nicknamed Tinykat
    Niralae Elsinal: Altmer Stamsorc DPS - Young Altmer with way too much Magicka
    Sarah Lacroix: Breton Magsorc DPS - Fledgling Vampire who drinks too much water
    Slondor: Nord Tankblade - TESified verson of Slenderman
    Marius Vastino: Imperial <insert role here> - Sarah's apathetic sire who likes to monologue
    Delthor Rellenar: Dunmer Magknight DPS - Sarah's ex who's a certified psychopath
    Lirawyn Calatare: Altmer Magplar Healer - Traveling performer and bard who's 101% vanilla bean
    Gondryn Beldeau: Breton Tankplar - Sarah's Mages Guild mentor and certified badass old person
    Gwendolyn Jenelle: Breton Magplar Healer - Friendly healer with a coffee addiction
    Soliril Larethian- Altmer Magblade DPS - Blind alchemist who uses animals to see and brews plagues in his spare time
    Tevril Rallenar: Dunmer Stamcro DPS - Delthor's "special" younger brother who raises small animals as friends
    Celeroth Calatare: Bosmer <insert role here> - Shapeshifting Bosmer with enough sass to fill Valenwood

PC - NA - EP - CP1000+
    Avid RPer. Hit me up in-game @Ras_Lei if you're interested in getting together for some arr-pee shenanigans!
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Djennku wrote: »
    Maybe i don't get it as english isn't my native language but for me it just sounds like "catching a fair and appealing price" on something.

The same word can have different meanings and that's actually the case (as far as i understand it). Sure, they could have used other words but is this really such a big deal?

It is still bad English and would have been rejected by all the editors I have written for over the years (for publication when that still happened).

It is just annoying. Posting a note about it here won't change anything, but is relatively harmless and this thread will soon fade.

If you disagree, please note an example of good English where a word is repeated in the same sentence? Find an example in a writing Style book as well.

Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo. (Translation: Bison that bother bison bothering bison that bother other bison.)
    It's a completely grammatically accurate sentence, one of those fun facts I learned awhile back.

EDIT: Also, what's your definition of 'good' English? If you mean proper grammar and sentence structure, both the above sentence and mirri's dialogue apply.

Anyone who talked that way in public would be pushed to the side at best, unless they are in a high political role perhaps....
    Edited by FlopsyPrince on May 1, 2022 9:44PM
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    How does something fetch a fair fetching price?

Did anyone proofread the script or the one reading it pay any attention?

You don'[t swear much do you.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    [snip]

Many replying here have to take a personal affront to how I am seeing things. And I am not being all that wild.

Feel free to dislike it or tell me it is just wonderful. I will put up with it (obviously) just like I put up with her illogic about alchemy (butterflies and torchbugs) and Bastian's whining about killing spiders.

Amazing!

[edited for discussing moderator action]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on May 2, 2022 10:25AM
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

No I do not. More as I get older and have become a curmudgeon, but I usually find it unnecessarily blunts speech and is not really "adult" as many claim. I am a minority in this area.

Though then I thought "Gott en Eimel" (sp?) was just a phrase, not a kind of curse, years ago, so yeah, I don't curse much.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Saucy_Jack
    Saucy_Jack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If anyone's seen "The Boondock Saints" and remembers the "Well it certainly illustrates the diversity of the word" scene, then you understand how the Dunmer use the word "fetch".

It certainly makes the whole game a heck of a lot funnier if in your head you replace every instance of "fetch" with...something else.

GET ON IT, ADDON DEVS!
    ALL HAIL SNUGGLORR THE MAGNIFICENT, KING OF THE RNG AND NIRN'S ONE TRUE GOD! Also, become a Scrub-scriber! SJ Scrubs: Playing games badly to make you feel better about yourself.
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many replying here have to take a personal affront to how I am seeing things. And I am not being all that wild.

Honestly, most of the posts seemed like normal-tone responses, to you taking affront.

Which I suppose illustrates the issue - we're perceiving language differently at a relatively basic level.

Though then I thought "Gott en Eimel" (sp?) was just a phrase, not a kind of curse

Gott in Himmel
    ("God in Heaven!" or roughly equivalent to "Oh my God!" So, not really a curse. Unless one actually has an issue with minor blasphemy)
  • Hurbster
    Hurbster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think she's funny.
    So they raised the floor and lowered the ceiling. Except the ceiling has spikes in it now and the floor is also lava.
  • edward_frigidhands
    edward_frigidhands
    ✭✭✭✭

I like it....it's cute...
  • edward_frigidhands
    edward_frigidhands
    ✭✭✭✭

"My horse barreled through the barrel race, rounding the last barrel in time for second place."

Despite using barrel in two or three different ways, it's pretty clear that the word is being used correctly, and you can tell what's happening.

"Let me mount my mount."

Again, we've got a verb/noun combo that an Editor might sneer at, but is also understandable.

Personally, I can see it would be confusing for anyone who doesn't realize that "fetch" is Dunmer slang. But since I do, I think her overuse of "fetch" is comedic.

Also:
    5istbt.jpg

I love this...
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    How do fetching fetch a fair fetching price you fetching fetcher!
    Edited by Hapexamendios on May 2, 2022 1:07AM
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

No I do not. More as I get older and have become a curmudgeon, but I usually find it unnecessarily blunts speech and is not really "adult" as many claim. I am a minority in this area.

Though then I thought "Gott en Eimel" (sp?) was just a phrase, not a kind of curse, years ago, so yeah, I don't curse much.

It's actually been shown that people that swear more often, properly in context, have higher IQ and normally broader vocabularies.

Either way as others have said it's basically the F word to dunmer. Just like Frakwas for Battlestar I believe?

• Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cursing (in general) presupposes a need to release frustration. So some of us swear (yeah - moi... I can outswear any sailor, and sometimes it's just something I do to pop the pressure valve - but NOT in game, and here it's only the normal "hell" and "damn"). And some people don't have that much frustration, so they don't swear.

Others are dealing with RL stuff that puts them in the place of "I can't swear even if I want to because"....

Then again, if you're in a dungeon group, you don't really know who those other people are - and how they'll react to a lot of cursing. So, yeah, I think people should just try to keep an even keel and not go overboard....
    Edited by Sylvermynx on May 2, 2022 1:25AM
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arunei wrote: »
    Again, you're overlooking or ignoring the fact people have pointed out numerous times that "fetch" is the word Dummer use for the F-word. "Fetching" in this way means eff'ing. It has nothing to do with 'bad English' when the race using that term isn't English or even human.

I'm pretty sure it only became the "F-word" with Mirri. Before then it has only been "fetcher" which is more of an insult.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • Drammanoth
    Drammanoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    (...) More as I get older and have become a curmudgeon, but I usually find it unnecessarily blunts speech and is not really "adult" as many claim. I am a minority in this area.(...) Gott en Eimel" (sp?) was just a phrase, not a kind of curse, years ago.
    FlopsyPrince's quote abbreviated by me

Young people may often want to (over)emphasise how great or tragic something is, or they think swearing is "oh, so mature" because grown-ups do it. And yet, 'grown-up' does not equal 'mature'.

Losing temper and adding swearwords where they are needless is a waste of space. Not only that, but also it may show one's lack of education due to not knowing any other words, or WAYS, to express what one feels in the given moment.

Following on what FlopsyPrince wrote above, it's not getting curmudgeony (oh, I love the word <3) it's about seeing the futility to ALWAYS break the taboo (in essence, swearing is about doing that).
    My wishlist for ESO
    I.Skills:
    >>weapons: Polearms, Unarmed, Crossbow

>>Sorc's Twilight - perched animation

>>a skill line - a guild having this - to enable us to increase % gold gain for donating Ornate gear (another gold sink in order to gain more pennies - but over time it would pay off)

II.Overland Mechanics
    >>tree climing in Grahtwood / Malabal Tor / Greenshade, etc. (with tall trees)

>>rock climbing in Glenumbra / Rivenspire / Stonefalls, etc. (with tall peaks)

>>new skill lines - Adventure (enable climbing, increase flora and fauna harvesting chances)

III.CP 2.0
    >>Craft Tree development --> https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/594079/idea-craft-cp-sub-tree-ideas-constant-wip#latest

III.Replayable content in overland
    >>dynamic pocket rifts to Oblivion - eg. to Vaermina's in Stormhaven, Boethiah's in Deshaan, Hircine's in the Rift OR in Bankgorai, etc. to get Daedric Sets relevant to the Prince, something like Oblivion rifts in Blackwood / the Deadlands

IV.Geography
    >>Pyandonea - we had some quests WITH Maormer (Summerset, High Isle) - maybe we could meet them there? Poke poke, nudge nudge, wink wink, eh ZOS?

>>Norg-Tzel - for Mara's sake, ZOS, REMOVE it from the list please!

V.Other
    (the ideas are also inspired by other Forum Users' posts)
    >>pet battles! We collect SO MANY pets, and yet there are just a cosmetic. What a HUGE potential lies within those tiny beats!

>>ASOC - a new server in Asia and Oceania. If people have a bad ping there, it would be great if they had a server reaching their places more easily. And hey, it would make THREE servers, not two.

>>highlighting WBs that are being fought

>>possibility to dye barding

>>possibility to switch UI between guild bank<-->bank<-->guild trader

>>display the dialogue options so that we can see which answer the NPC is reacting to

>>a way to make Overland more challenging - for those who want
  • Katlefiya
    Katlefiya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm just going to leave this here:

"Is swearing good for your brain?"
    https://youtu.be/DL5UytyNZ5o
  • essi2
    essi2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spoken English has no rules, there is no such thing as bad English speech, there is only English.

Also as far as lore is concerned, nobody in TES speaks English, they speak Common Tamrielic.

The Dunmeri page on uESP is not very comprehensive. https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Dunmer_Language
    Edited by essi2 on May 2, 2022 8:11AM
    "The Heritance are racists yes? Idiots. But dangerous, destabilizing racist idiots." - Razum-dar

"Wood Elves aren't made of wood, Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves" - M'aiq the Liar

** Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-EU) - Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-NA) **

*** https://www.youtube.com/@essi2 - https://www.twitch.tv/essi2 ***
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As any student of English should know, "fetching" is another word for attractive, so "fetch a fair, fetching price" is perfectly good. Indeed rather poetic with its triple alliteration.

And that's without even considering the play on words given the way dark elves use "fetch", "fetcher", and "fetching".

Triple alliteration, punning, swearing... what's not to like?!
  • JamuThatsWho
    JamuThatsWho
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless it's intentional for comedic effect because the word is a homonym.
    @JamuThatsWho - PC EU - CP2000

Main:
    Vasiir-jo - Khajiit Necromancer, AD

Alts:
    Sul-Mael Hlarothran - Dunmer Sorcerer, EP

Ushaar-Ixaht - Argonian Nightblade, DC

Rorbakh gro-Khraag - Orc Templar, AD

Anduuroon - Altmer Warden, EP

Travanius Braelia - Imperial Dragonknight, DC