The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Windows Security does not recognize ESO as trusted app and blocks it

Lancillotto
Lancillotto
✭✭✭
Hello, I have just updated my Windows 10 and now Windows Security no longer recognizes ESO as a safe app to run, it gets blocked by something called "Attack surface reduction"... Has anybody experienced something similar and knows how to fix it? I have already tried to add an exception to the whole ESO folder using Windows Poweshell (run as administrator), but to no avail... ESO keeps getting blocked whenever I try to launch it. I click on the "play" button in the launcher window but nothing happens (and yes, I have also tried to run ESO as an administrator, but nothing).
Here are the details I get from Windows Security:

dq0mbthp5mvw.jpg
Edited by ZOS_Bill on May 3, 2022 5:59PM
  • Lancillotto
    Lancillotto
    ✭✭✭
    I also tried to disable the app control temporarily, to see if that would let me lauch the game, but incredibly ESO still gets blocked.

b2ulc5w8kzo9.jpg

Reinstalling the game didn't help either.

I am out of ideas, please help.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you run the game from the exe file in the game folder?

Have you tried uninstalling the Windows updates or running System Restore?

Have you tried checking for updates in Windows Security (virus and threat protection)?
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Lancillotto

Another step you can try is rebooting the PC into a selective startup. This will disable third party software running on the PC. Test your setup under the selective startup and see if the issue persists.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Lancillotto
    Lancillotto
    ✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    Can you run the game from the exe file in the game folder? --> Nope, it won't run

Have you tried uninstalling the Windows updates or running System Restore? --> nah, I don't want to go back to the old version of Windows just because one program doesn't work.

Have you tried checking for updates in Windows Security (virus and threat protection)? --> I had installed all the security updates, and unfortunately that is the very source of the problem.
    ZOS_Bill wrote: »
    @Lancillotto

Another step you can try is rebooting the PC into a selective startup. This will disable third party software running on the PC. Test your setup under the selective startup and see if the issue persists.

Thank you for the suggestion Bill, but I already know what is blocking ESO from running, it's Windows Security, and in particular its "Attack surface reduction" component (see screenshots above). I found that the only way to disable that is by turning off "reputation-based protection" under "app and browser control", which is not ideal. Hopefully Windows will add ESO to the list of trusted app soon. I find it really odd that of all the apps/programs I have (some of which are really obscure) ESO is the only one being blocked on a reputation basis. For now I guess I will have to temporarily disable app control whenever I want to play.

Something else I discovered is that disabling just one of the three settings does nothing (see my second screenshot), but if you disable all four of them (including "SmartScreen for Microsoft Store apps", which you wouldn't think could be relevant) ESO will finally launch. Something to keep in mind for those who may encounter the same issue.

• ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    Thanks for the update that you've found the culprit causing the problem and a workaround. We will now close the thread since the issue is resolved.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.