The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

PS5 contrast/brightness all messed up.

vivisectvib16_ESO
vivisectvib16_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
Seems like something changes with every update. Game is mega dark and saturated now. PS5/NA.
Edited by vivisectvib16_ESO on March 29, 2022 8:04PM
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Where are you in-game that things appear to be darker or more saturated than before?
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • vivisectvib16_ESO
    vivisectvib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where are you in-game that things appear to be darker or more saturated than before?

Honestly the entire thing. Character select. Wayrest. My house in Varlaisvea. I had to push the brightness slider all the way to the right to get it back to looking remotely close to how it did last night before I logged off. :(
    Edited by vivisectvib16_ESO on March 29, 2022 7:07PM
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager

Honestly the entire thing. Character select. Wayrest. My house in Varlaisvea. I had to push the brightness slider all the way to the right to get it back to looking remotely close to how it did last night before I logged off. :(

I know this is troubleshooting 101 but did you double check none of your TV settings have changed?
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Staff Post
  • vivisectvib16_ESO
    vivisectvib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I know this is troubleshooting 101 but did you double check none of your TV settings have changed?

Absolutely, def no changes on my end. 😕 Should I submit a ticket or do you think this is a larger issue?
    Edited by vivisectvib16_ESO on March 29, 2022 7:12PM
  • SonOfSoma
    SonOfSoma
    ✭✭✭
    I have also noticed this after todays update.
    Much darker everywhere.
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    SonOfSoma wrote: »
    Much darker everywhere.

PS5 also?
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Staff Post
  • Lauranae
    Lauranae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PC/NA - carte graphic AMD radeon RX 5700 xt - (will be replaced this evening for another meaning that the contrast)

Much darker making all fights the contrary very too much brilliant (white brilliant if i can explain). I have a lot of difficulty now while fighting in group to see the enemy in the middle of this large white big buble

I asked several days already if you changed something but i know it must have been lost in the laggy post problems (no bad meaning here, rather want to say you probably could not see it, so no worry)

The lights when you level is now like a large white brilliant bubble around me (making me turning my head for my eyes)

Even the emote Glowglobe is definitly more brilliant.

The contrast black/white is not at all the same as before.
    I could easily look at the sky, in plain day, now i avoid it. But in dungeons i barely see the Heavy sacs or chests now
    Edited by Lauranae on March 29, 2022 7:47PM
    My most recent characters
    AD - Amareni NB
    -
  • Pink_E_808
    Pink_E_808
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just logged in on PS5 and also had to adjust the brightness as it was much darker than yesterday.
  • fizl101
    fizl101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ps5 here, also saw a c9lour change, almost more depth and deeper shadows
    Soupy twist
  • LeHarrt91
    LeHarrt91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    up2nm0mdfhjp.jpeg

I hope the image works. Top is when I got to character select screen after patch. Second it brightness near max.

viewing it on PC doesnt show how dark it actually was.
    Edited by LeHarrt91 on March 29, 2022 11:00PM
    PS NA 1800+ CP
    Have played all classes.
    Warden Main

• terrasight
    terrasight
    ✭✭✭
    SonOfSoma wrote: »
    Much darker everywhere.

Same here, had to set the brightness to max ingame to get near the look as before the update... PS5...
    Hekat'e / Hel'a Niflheim - Sorc / Necro - PS5 EU
  • xyphrum
    xyphrum
    ✭✭
    Same here. PS5. One of the first things I did after starting the update was checking the video settings because I thought they were reset. But they were not reset. They were exactly the same as yesterday, yet my display was way too dark.
    I increased the brightness anyway and although it didn't look as before, I thought I could probably live with it.
    Then, after keeping myself busy with a new dungeon I arrived in Craglorn and it was night (in game).
    That appeared really too dark on my screen, even with the increased brightness.
    I upped the brightness almost to the max but it didn't enhance the image, it just made it...well brighter, but not more pleasing.
    Then I went to look for other settings but there are no other video settings.
    Conclusion, picture settings have changed, but can not be made look the same as before using the in game video settings.
  • nnicely
    nnicely
    Soul Shriven
    On PS5 and everything is a lot darker including the UI, journal, etc. It looks like some sort of post processing effect or filter. It's now contrasted to the point where it kind of strains my eyes while playing. Not a positive change tbh.
    Edited by nnicely on March 29, 2022 11:55PM
  • Horny_Poney
    Horny_Poney
    ✭✭✭
    Same for me on PS5 EU.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Funny, even after reading this and going into the game I didn’t notice a difference. I was already at max brightness settings in game though, with default HDR. The game was already dark (like too high contrast) before.

I am still running PS4 version though so the changes might be in the enhanced version on PS5.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• BalticBlues
    BalticBlues
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed, the PS5 version is TOO DARK. MUCH DARKER than the PS4 version.
    Even with brightness setting maxed, you cannot get a bright picture on PS5.

Picture comparison of the PS5 and PS4 version installed on PS5 with HDR turned OFF:
    (using "PS Remote Play" on PC to access the PS5 and take screenshots)

PS5 version brightness settings on 100% (PS4 version only on 80%):
    Can you see the left ESO wheel? Sorry ZOS, I really can't. It is lost in darkness.
    eaomui9spple.jpg

PS5 version screenshot (game brightness setting: 100%):
    yyajghopb3hb.jpg

PS4 version screenshot (game brightness setting: 80%)
    szjts1a5ul74.jpg

The PS5 version is so dark that many details are lost in darkness.

Edited by BalticBlues on March 30, 2022 7:59AM
  • renne
    renne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Same here, also PS5. I thought it was me but I actually went in to check my brightness and because I do endgame raiding I already have the slider all the way turned up and it's still super dark.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Man, I was just about to download the enhanced version now that the trophies transfer over but I think I’ll wait a while longer. PS4 version is already so dark that I switch to the ugly saturated “vibrant” HDR at night just to be able to see.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• The3sFinest
    The3sFinest
    ✭✭✭✭
    Same here, not going to be able to play the PS5 version again, eye straining just to see anything, even with max brightness. :(
    Was hoping to finally get a chance since trophies got fixed.
  • MoMo_Blend
    MoMo_Blend
    ✭✭
    We have been having the same issue on the Xbox series X/S since the enhanced version came out. It’s got to the point now where no one from ZOS is even giving us updates anymore as to when a fix is coming or if they are even fixing it.
    Edited by MoMo_Blend on April 2, 2022 2:56PM
  • vivisectvib16_ESO
    vivisectvib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno just wanted to circle back with this and see if it's a known issue/if it's being investigated? Thanks!
  • vivisectvib16_ESO
    vivisectvib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man, I was just about to download the enhanced version now that the trophies transfer over but I think I’ll wait a while longer. PS4 version is already so dark that I switch to the ugly saturated “vibrant” HDR at night just to be able to see.

I can't even play in HDR because both default and vibrant are just way too dark and the HDR brightness slider does nothing. Usually turn off HDR when I play ESO because of it. :(
  • Nord_Raseri
    Nord_Raseri
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Picture comparison of the PS5 and PS4 version installed on PS5 with HDR turned OFF:

Can you see the left ESO wheel? Sorry ZOS, I really can't. It is lost in darkness.
    eaomui9spple.jpg

yyajghopb3hb.jpg

szjts1a5ul74.jpg

Strange. I can see everything in all of your pictures, including all 3 wheels. Though, I am on ps4 browser right now.
    Veit ég aðég hékk vindga meiði á nætr allar níu, geiri undaðr og gefinn Oðni, sjálfr sjálfum mér, á þeim meiði er manngi veit hvers hann af rótum rennr.
  • vivisectvib16_ESO
    vivisectvib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

eaomui9spple.jpg

yyajghopb3hb.jpg

szjts1a5ul74.jpg

Strange. I can see everything in all of your pictures, including all 3 wheels. Though, I am on ps4 browser right now.

🤦
  • BalticBlues
    BalticBlues
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Strange. I can see everything in all of your pictures, including all 3 wheels.
    Then you must have set your TV to very high (probably too high) brightness.

This is also how I have to play the PS5 version of ESO now: By adjusting the TV brightness instead of adjusting the game (where brightness is maxed out). But now all other games appear too bright.

To adjust TV brightness and contrast correctly, you can use professional adjustment images. Here is a free one. Put it on USB stick to show on your PS5. If you adjust your TV correctly, all areas A to L should be distinguishable:
    06_Universaltestbild%20First-CheckHD.jpg

Source:
    https://www.burosch.de/images/directdownload/06_Universaltestbild First-CheckHD.jpg
    Edited by BalticBlues on April 3, 2022 12:15AM
  • Nord_Raseri
    Nord_Raseri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Strange. I can see everything in all of your pictures, including all 3 wheels.
    Then you must have set your TV to very high (probably too high) brightness.

Actually the opposite. My eyes are very sensitive to brightness. I have 'white' turned down all the way, brightness down 50%, and back light turned down on the tv, and in-game brightness in the middle. When I said "strange" I really meant it. Edit to add: I was in no way trying to discredit the issues everyone is having. I was really just making an observation that I found it strange when both my tv and in-game brightness settings are turned down I still see. It was more an observation of how Zos really messed with settings on their end.
    Edited by Nord_Raseri on April 3, 2022 6:33PM
    Veit ég aðég hékk vindga meiði á nætr allar níu, geiri undaðr og gefinn Oðni, sjálfr sjálfum mér, á þeim meiði er manngi veit hvers hann af rótum rennr.
  • vivisectvib16_ESO
    vivisectvib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please don't derail this thread. We're trying to report an issue that quite a few of us are experiencing, and the whole "well it looks fine to me" kind of posting adds nothing to the discourse.

Thanks.
  • Nord_Raseri
    Nord_Raseri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please don't derail this thread. We're trying to report an issue that quite a few of us are experiencing, and the whole "well it looks fine to me" kind of posting adds nothing to the discourse.

Thanks.

Stating an observation in which shows how messed up eso visuals on ps5 really got(I was on everyone here's side btw) is derailing? Fine. Sorry. I will stay out.
  • vivisectvib16_ESO
    vivisectvib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks.

Stating an observation in which shows how messed up eso visuals on ps5 really got(I was on everyone here's side btw) is derailing? Fine. Sorry. I will stay out.

My bad, misread your comment.
  • nnicely
    nnicely
    Soul Shriven
    I could live with the contrast changes to the game's graphics but the UI/menu being darker as well is where the eye strain really comes in considering how much menuing you do in ESO. The contrast changes being applied near universally leads me to believe there has been some kind of heavy post-processing filter to the entire game and in my opinion to the game's detriment on PS5. I recall you could do similar things with post-processing PC mods in single player Elder Scrolls titles to make the images appear sharper but a similar heavy contrast effect would occur across the entire game.
    Edited by nnicely on April 4, 2022 4:57PM