The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Official Discussion Thread for "Meet The Character- Captain Kaleen"

ZOS_Kevin
ZOS_Kevin
Community Manager
dm2qujnsyntu.jpg

This is the official discussion thread for the website article, "Meet The Character- Captain Kaleen".

Braving the perilous expanse of the Padomaic Ocean is akin to a stroll in the marketplace for this veteran sailor. Join us as we learn about Captain Kaleen, the steadfast skipper of the Spearhead and the subject of our next Meet the Character!
Edited by ZOS_Kevin on March 11, 2022 4:45PM
Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
Staff Post
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    “Fahara’jad, King of Sentinel”

Now I’m wondering if he shows up in High Isle. He’s probably my favorite of the three original Covenant leaders.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see that King Fahara'jad is busy trying to save face by acting like his agent Captain Kaleen did all that without the help of the Vestige. :lol:

Who collected her crew while Kaleen lounged in port? The Vestige.
    Who did all the footwork on Betnikh? The Vestige.
    Who dealt with the radicals? The Vestige.

Uh huh, King. I remember who actually saved your throne from a bunch of necromancers too. Nice try.

So maybe if this was a recommendation saying, "Look, if you hire Captain Kaleen, at some point the Vestige will show up to bail her out of trouble and get your job done," I might believe it.

Grumpy griping under spoiler because I'm grumpy.
    (Okay, seriously, I get it. The Writers feel they need to introduce a recurring character who's central to the Daggerfall Covenant's starting zones to a bunch of new players who have never played the base game. So let's tell new players all about how awesome Captain Kaleen's past adventures are...and nevermind that it's actually the Player Character's past adventures.

This is a problem with using recurring characters. If this were some new privateer Captain, she'd be awesome. But no, the writers decided to reuse a character that veteran players have already worked for and new players will meet in reverse order of adventures. It's a cheap and ineffective way to create attachments to the story.

Just look at the breakout characters from DLC content: Eveli from Orsinium and Fennorian from Greymoor. They were new. They had interesting story arcs. They were allowed to actually grow and change as characters over the story.

Recurring characters don't get to do that. There's no greater example than Eveli, who loses just about every ounce of character growth she had in Orsinium for the Blackwood story.

Writers, you can create good, original, new characters too. I'd love to see you do more of that. And if you absolutely insist, at least nail the original characterization and character growth.

I dunno, maybe Captain Kaleen has fans who really wanted to see her again. I hope she gets better treatment than Jakarn's character does in the new Prologue quest, but I'm not hopeful.)
    Edited by VaranisArano on March 2, 2022 6:09PM
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Writers, you can create good, original, new characters too. I'd love to see you do more of that. And if you absolutely insist, at least nail the original characterization and character growth.

I dunno, maybe Captain Kaleen has fans who really wanted to see her again. I hope she gets better treatment than Jakarn's character does in the new Prologue quest, but I'm not hopeful.)

These are both good points. While it’s nice having recurring characters and callbacks to previous adventures, having too many of them is like having a tub of icing with no cake.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • Azphel
    Azphel
    ✭✭✭
    I already met Captain "ignore the Orcs" Kaleen and she tried to convince me there was a good use for an Ayleid murder device that killed a bunch of people on Betnikh. I don't want to meet her again, thank you very much.

Does every new story have to involve returning characters? It makes Tamriel seem small.

With Jakarn and Kaleen in the chapter's focus, my expectations aren't high. I doubt the political intrigue will involve any choices with lasting consequences, since both of them need to be available for those who play out of order. Why ZOS insists on writing themselves into a corner like this is beyond me.
  • Lauranae
    Lauranae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Azphel wrote: »
    I already met Captain "ignore the Orcs" Kaleen and she tried to convince me there was a good use for an Ayleid murder device that killed a bunch of people on Betnikh. I don't want to meet her again, thank you very much.

Does every new story have to involve returning characters? It makes Tamriel seem small.

With Jakarn and Kaleen in the chapter's focus, my expectations aren't high. I doubt the political intrigue will involve any choices with lasting consequences, since both of them need to be available for those who play out of order. Why ZOS insists on writing themselves into a corner like this is beyond me.

I agree, though you met her again further in the Eso stories, and you learn to know her more. Anyone deserve a second chance when they see through their errors.

Now, IF she is the same as in Betnikh, i will not respect her and act accordingly.
    My most recent characters
    AD - Amareni NB
    -
  • DarcyMardin
    DarcyMardin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Er, I met her 8 years ago.
  • ElvenOverlord
    ElvenOverlord
    ✭✭✭✭
    Azphel wrote: »

You also probably have to see her annoying little sidekick, Nicolene who follows her around like a lost puppy and lacks any personal views and goes by what Kaleen thinks cause she can never be wrong. She has a huge crush on her if you read her diary.
    Edited by ElvenOverlord on March 6, 2022 7:52PM
  • SammyKhajit
    SammyKhajit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This one looks forward to catching up with Captain Kaleen again. We made up our differences at Rivenspire long ago.

Not so keen on seeing Nicolene again.