Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Crashing in Sneak PS4 NA

VampirateV
VampirateV
✭✭
It's happened on multiple characters, but seems to be focused primarily on one (my khajiit). I haven't timed it, but it seems that if I sneak for more than 30 seconds straight, the game crashes. Crouching to lockpick is fine, but actively sneaking (on vamp and reg toons both) for very long keeps crashing the game. At first I thought it was a bug with daily heist, but then it happened during daily sacrament so I thought it might have been something hinky with that character. Logged onto a different character and crashed while sneaking out of combat in an overland area. Continuous sneak is the only common factor that I can see with my untrained eye.
Edited by ZOS_Bill on February 16, 2022 11:22PM
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @VampirateV

If the crash troubleshooting found here is not helping with these crashes, please go ahead and start a ticket with customer support.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • SurferRosa
    SurferRosa
    Soul Shriven
    I came on here to see why my game crashed twice within 10mins. I was sneaking too.
  • VampirateV
    VampirateV
    ✭✭
    Yeah the troubleshooting didn't work...guess it's my turn to be initiated into the customer support rabbit hole, now. Yay.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    You are welcome to post your ticket number in this thread if you need any updates on your ticket.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • F1thyphil
    F1thyphil
    ✭✭
    This is still a problem, happened to me 3 times tonight. Again all while crouching,
  • Granden_Woodleafson
    This has been happening to me for quite some time now. It has always been while I am sneaking when it crashes. It has crashed and never came back when I was sneaking in Deshaan TWICE. Meaning it not only crashes, but also will not let me relog into the game with that character. Twice I have had to create tickets to "unstuck" my character in Deshaan, they have to move him to my home region (Daggerfall) and that fixed it. It's hassle enough to have it crash, but to crash and not be able to log back in is the WORST. Hopefully their patch team can find out what that is about and fix it. In the mean time:

Be aware of sneaking around Deshaan, after it crashes you may not be able to relog in right away and have to submit a ticket.
  • VampirateV
    VampirateV
    ✭✭
    I don't want to jump to conclusions, since I'm not familiar with programming, but I thought I should put this out there...

Before the sneak crashing issue, I'd noticed that it seemed like my hard drive was getting worn out, so I'd decided to replace it with an SSD when taxes came in. Ever since I replaced the hard drive, I haven't had the sneak crash (crossing fingers!), so I can't help but wonder if the crash is somehow related to damaged sectors or something? Like I said, programming isn't my skillset, so I'm unsure of how it might relate, but it seems like too much coincidence to discredit a relationship between hard drive and this particular bug. And also, whether the form factor of SSD vs hard drive is relevant. If others who are experiencing the crash are also using the original hard drive for their unit, then it seems possible that it could be linked somehow. Thought you might appreciate the additional information @ZOS_Bill, in case you have a hand in investigating the reasons for the crash, or can pass the information along to whoever looks into these things.
  • griffrawk
    griffrawk
    ✭✭
    I've had 3 crashes today, 7 over the past 2 days. I was sneaking the at least half of those times when it went blue but couldn't definitively say it's that every time. PS-EU. Khajit.
  • Granden_Woodleafson
    VampirateV wrote: »
    I don't want to jump to conclusions, since I'm not familiar with programming, but I thought I should put this out there...

Before the sneak crashing issue, I'd noticed that it seemed like my hard drive was getting worn out, so I'd decided to replace it with an SSD when taxes came in. Ever since I replaced the hard drive, I haven't had the sneak crash (crossing fingers!), so I can't help but wonder if the crash is somehow related to damaged sectors or something? Like I said, programming isn't my skillset, so I'm unsure of how it might relate, but it seems like too much coincidence to discredit a relationship between hard drive and this particular bug. And also, whether the form factor of SSD vs hard drive is relevant. If others who are experiencing the crash are also using the original hard drive for their unit, then it seems possible that it could be linked somehow. Thought you might appreciate the additional information @ZOS_Bill, in case you have a hand in investigating the reasons for the crash, or can pass the information along to whoever looks into these things.

That would be a LOT of people with sector problems with their non-SSDs, I think the problem is on Bethesda's side; there is a LOT of things going on under the covers in code when you sneak (range of detection, a lot of NPCs in the area moving around that affects range of detection, stamina use while crouching, etc.), their exception handling isn't handling everything. For me I haven't had a crash in a long time now because when I'm sleuthing for lockboxes and containers I don't crouch, I only crouch when I'm ready to steal. Also I don't sleuth AT ALL in DESHAAN now.
  • Amandakill420
    I've been having the same issue on one character. Pickpocketing, sneaking, trying to do a heist. On an Orc Stamplar wearing deadly/cowards gear. Ps4 NA.
    I haven't gone to my other sneaky character to test it because i don't really use it since ZOS broke the Nights Silence set.
    Edited by Amandakill420 on March 19, 2022 6:29PM
  • kalimar44
    kalimar44
    ✭✭✭✭
    VampirateV wrote: »

I'm having the same problem, and I'm using a SSD in my pro. My original drive broke a few years back.